The Voyage of the Hawk
Chapter 19

Copyright© 2016 by The Blind Man

The ships turning out to sea took Ishmael completely by surprise. He watched and wondered for a moment or two about what was happening out there. The plan had been for the small armada to sail into the cove and to overwhelm any vessel at anchor there. Something must have happened. Unfortunately Ishmael was too far from the ships to see what it might be. Even if he had possessed a spy-glass like that of his young master he wouldn't have been able to make out the signals being passed between the Cadiz and the Hawk. Thus Ishmael and his two scouts were left gaping in disbelief at the sudden change in plans. Unlike his two men, Ishmael recovered quickly.

Ishmael was a professional soldier and long before he had ever heard of Eko and before he had become the captain of the guard to the factory there, he had experienced his share of battles. The man knew that plans changed and battles sometimes did not go as the captain-generals wished them to unfold. Having experienced such surprises before in his life allowed Ishmael to recover quickly. When he did, Ishmael decided that no matter what he was going to carry out his duty as it had been ordered. He would worry about the armada later, if he was still alive.

Leaving his two scouts to watch over the settlement and the cove, Ishmael slipped back down the back slope of the ridge upon which he had been lying. Once at its base Ishmael rose and headed back the way that he and his men had come long before the sun had risen. Within a matter of minutes he was back to where he had left the rest of his troops.

"Get ready to move out," Ishmael snapped to the men once he had come to a halt in front of them. Then as his men pulled themselves to their feet, Ishmael waved to his two lieutenants, indicating that he wanted to speak to them. Once they had walked over to where Ishmael was standing, Ishmael motioned to them to follow him. Only when they were a dozen or more feet away did he stop and speak to them."

"The plans have changed," Ishmael told the two officers in a lowered voice. "The armada isn't attacking the cove."

"What... ?" the two lieutenants exclaimed as one, their outburst drawing attention.

"Hush yourselves and keep it down," Ishmael chided the two men, glaring at them with a stern expression upon his face. "If I had wanted the men to know I would have told them."

"But why aren't they attacking?" one of the lieutenants asked with a look of confusion upon his face. "Have they abandoned us?"

"Of course not, you fool," Ishmael growled in reply, looking at the man in wonder. "I don't know why Dom Pedro isn't attacking as planned but I am certain of this, the man would not abandon us. Whatever is happening at sea it doesn't matter. We were given a job to do and we will do it. I have spied out the pirate haven and from what I can tell there are not many there at the moment. That might be why Dom Pedro has turned aside. Perhaps the pirates are already at sea and his captains have spotted them and they have chosen to do battle. Regardless of if they have or haven't or why in fact the armada has turned aside I intend to carry out my orders. Like I said, it appears that not many are there at the moment. If we are quick and do our jobs properly, we can get out of the cold. Now listen up while I tell you what I saw and what I want you to do."


The carrack turned slowly in response to Bartholomew's command. The vessel tacked into the wind and then swung about so that the strong winds would catch the sails of the Cadiz and speed her on towards the northwest and the battle raging but a short distance from them.

It had become clear even while Bartholomew was ordering signals to the Hawk that some ship was under attack but a handful of miles off the port quarter of the Cadiz. Now that his young master had signalled that the Cadiz could leap into action that was exactly what Bartholomew intended to do. Too often he had been left behind while his captain, Dom Pedro had boarded ships and taken them by force. Today Bartholomew would lead the way and with luck he would have tales to tell the lad once all was said and done.

"Dieter," Bartholomew shouted out as the Cadiz came about and the sails filled with wind. "Have your men stand by their stations and prepare for close combat. With these winds and this sea we will have to move in close to do those pirates any damage."

"Aye Captain," Dieter shouted back to Bartholomew. "I'll see to it."

With that order passed along Bartholomew spoke with the pilot, Hans van Holien. It was clear now with the Cadiz bearing down upon the other vessels that there was more than a single pair of ships engaged in combat. Many sails could be seen in the distance and the flash of cannon was clearly visible.

"We'll bear down on the closest of the pirate vessels," Bartholomew told the pilot and his helmsman, "and when we get there we will strike our false colours and raise our true one. When that happens take us in close to the enemy vessel so our broadside can be effective."

"We will Captain," the pilot declared, with a quick glance towards the helmsman as he spoke. The helmsman nodded his concurrence without reservation.

"That is excellent," Bartholomew acknowledged with a broad smile upon his face. As he spoke Bartholomew glanced back out to sea taking a quick look in the direction of the ships the Cadiz was headed towards. Then he quickly glanced towards his stern and he took in the sight of the Hawk and the rest of the small armada that was following behind him. His smile grew wider as he took in the view.

"Now listen up men," Bartholomew exclaimed as he turned back to his pilot and helmsman. "I'll be busy in this battle so pay attention to what is happening about us. We're not the only ship here and once we've struck that ship we are now heading for, sail past her and bring us in line with the next of those black flagged bastards. We'll pound her as well before she can make a run for it and then we'll come about and see what else needs doing. From the look of it there might be a third ship out there closing on the merchant's other side. If so you're to bring us about so we can bring our cannons to bear on it. With luck and numbers well teach these pirates that Portuguese vessels are not to be trifled with."


"Ships astern!" the lookout upon the Diablo cried out.

The cry drew the attention of Captain Luis and his first mate. Both men had been aboard the just taken Portuguese trader ensuring the surrender of the vessels crew. The cry that vessels were approaching put flight to their feet. Leaving the securing of the trader to his gunnery officer and his coxswain, Captain Luis hurried back across the gap that separated the Grande Diablo and the trader. Once back onboard his own vessel he hurried up the steps that lead up to his poop deck. Once there, both he and his first mate made their way to the stern railing of the ship. Here a lookout stood holding a spy-glass.

"Give that to me," Captain Luis snarled as he grabbed for the proffered spy-glass. His voice was filled with irritation and annoyance. Then without uttering another word Captain Luis brought the spy-glass to his eye and then looked out to sea.

"What do you see Captain," his first mate asked a couple of minutes later, once his captain had had a moment to search out the horizon and spy the oncoming vessels. The man's voice was filled with anxiousness.

"They're flying black flags," Captain Luis murmured thoughtfully in reply.

"Are they our ships?" the first mate asked in reply, looking with hope towards his captain.

"The lead vessel looks to be Hidalgo's ship, the Cadiz," Captain Luis answered in a lowered voice, "and the ship to its starboard looks to be the Madrid. They've got all sails on and they're bearing down on us with some urgency."

"Perhaps Captain Hidalgo thinks there is plunder here for all," the first mate suggested with very little certainty as his captain lowered the spy-glass and handed to him to use.

"If he does then the man will be greatly disappointed," Captain Luis chuckled, smiling cruelly as he did and exposing blackened teeth. "This action is over with and we will be the ones picking the bones of these Portuguese merchants. Hidalgo and his men can turn about and head to hell or the anchorage for all I care."

"Aye Captain," the first mate muttered in agreement.

"Stay here Miguel," Captain Luis ordered his man, "and keep an eye on their approach. Even Hidalgo must realize that we have no need of their help by now and he should be turning about soon. If not, wave the man off. I'm heading back across to the trader to make certain that our share of the plunder is protected. That greedy bastard off of the Santo Antonio will probably try and claim it all for himself."


Pedro watched as the Cadiz struck her false colours just as the large carrack came astern of the raider. Then he watched as the flag of Portugal was raised along with the pennants of his House. A broad smile of pride crossed his visage as he watched the same occur upon each and every vessel in his small armada. It also gave him pleasure to see that the enemy had fallen for their deception. Now they were going to pay.

In all, there were three raiders at sea. They were all large three masted carracks and they were focused on boarding two smaller Portuguese traders. The traders had already struck their colours in the hope of saving their lives. In comparison the smaller vessels were outmatched by the larger vessels and the fact that two raiders had pounced upon one of them, taking it from both sides at once had brought the confrontation swiftly to a conclusion. The raiders were in the processes of boarding the traders when Pedro's small armada had turned towards them. It was clear from their lack of response that the raiders had taken the force as being more ships of their own.

The Cadiz opened fire a moment later. As the large carrack slipped in close along the raider's portside, her starboard bank of cannons spat out their shot. At a range of but a few feet the affect was destructive. Cannonball after cannonball smashed into the raider one after another. Holes were rent into the side of the enemy ship and men were torn apart in the resulting impacts. When a gun had fired it was quickly prepared for action again. In all the Cadiz fired three salvos before sailing past the enemy vessel and striking out for the next. Pedro watched with satisfaction as the men of the Cadiz delivered their parting shots. He watched as explosive orbs rained down on the foredeck of the vessel. One lucky orb landed amongst the unmanned bow chasers of the raider. Obviously powder had been left untended there. The resulting explosion tore the forecastle to pieces. It nearly took the bow off the vessel.

The Cadiz was gone and it was time for the Hawk to strike. With a smile Pedro gave the order to fire.


Ishmael led his force of men back up the slope to where his two scouts waited and watched. After a quick conversation with the two men who confirmed that they had seen no movement either in the settlement or upon the two vessels standing at anchors in the cove, Ishmael began to deploy his troops. The first detachment that he sent off was the men he wanted to seize and secure the battery of guns. Regardless of the fact that he had no idea where the powder magazine was for the two guns, Ishmael wanted them in his control.

"You four," Ishmael grunted towards a squad commanded by Rodrigo, "are to take control of those two guns. Hold them against any counterattack by the pirates. If you find powder charge the guns. We may need them against the ships there in the cove or any that escape Dom Pedro's armada."

"Yes Captain," Rodrigo snapped back in reply when Ishmael had finished issuing his order. "I'll see to it."

"Good," Ishmael replied with a nod of his head. "Then be off with you."

Once the four men had slipped away, Ishmael turned his attention towards the rest of his men. His numbers were small. He had twenty men left under his command and he hoped that it was enough for the job at hand. Turning to his lieutenants he started to give orders.

"You Antonio will take six men and charge that house on the right of our position," Ishmael stated firmly, gazing into his lieutenant's face as he spoke, his eyes fixed on those of the other man. "At present there is only smoke coming from that building and two others. Those are going to be our primary targets. As you can see there are no windows in any of the buildings so the possibility of surprise is great. Do not use your muskets or your pistols unless you absolutely have to do so. I've seen no movement upon the two ships there in the cove but for all we know they are fully crewed and ready for action. I want to take these buildings quickly and without noise. The longer surprise is maintained the better it is for all off us."

"We understand Captain," Antonio declared with confidence in his voice, "and we will do our best."

"Good," Ishmael nodded with approval. "Be careful and as quiet as can be. Once you have secured that building wait until the other two buildings have been taken. Then we will talk and decide on what to do next. Regardless of what happens, keep an eye on the other buildings. They may be filled with sleeping pirates."

"We will post sentries Captain once the first building is taken," Antonio reassured Ishmael, "and make certain that the pirates do not get the opportunity to surprise us."

"Excellent, my young friend," Ishmael said with a smile, "Now get your men ready while I speak to Martinez about his job. Once we are all ready we will move out together."

With that Ishmael turned to his other lieutenant, a slightly older man by the name of Martinez. Quickly he detailed him off with the same orders. His target was to be the structure in the middle of the settlement that also had smoke rising from its chimney. When those orders were given Ishmael gathered the remaining troops about them and told them what he expected out of them. It didn't take long. He pointed out the building he would be leading them to and then explained to them that silence and stealth was of an utmost importance. When they were all ready, they moved out.


The broadside of the Hawk tore into the raider a few minutes after the Cadiz had slipped by it. The six cannons fired one after another in quick succession. The Hawk being lower in the water than the Cadiz placed her salvos closer to the enemy vessel's water line. The pounding of the other ship's hull proved deadly. Boards burst as shot after shot ploughed into them. In minutes the raiders were taking on water.

The first raider had been taken by complete surprise. The initial salvo of the Cadiz had swept the other vessel's main deck. With much of its crew on the trader that they had just boarded, there were no one at their guns when the vessel came under attack. By the time the Hawk swept by them there was little chance of resistance. With cannonballs slamming into the ship's waist and exploding orbs raining down upon their open deck the crew of the raider had been stunned into submission.

"Another salvo," Pedro shouted out over the deck of the Hawk to the gunner mate who was standing on the foredeck of the Hawk relaying his orders to Henrique who was on the gun deck commanding the guns, "and then we will make a run for the other ship."

"Aye Captain," the man shouted back to Pedro, confirming that he had understood the message. Then, without hesitating, the man knelt to the open passageway and shouted down to his officer. While the man passed on Pedro's orders, Pedro turned his attention back to the ongoing battle.

He quickly saw that the battle had begun to devolve from what had been originally planned. The second raider, which had overtaken the other Portuguese trader, was about a mile to the west of their position. The Cadiz was presently making her way towards the vessel with as much speed that she could must in this wind and sea. Pedro could tell through his spy-glass that the other raider would not be taken by surprise. The vessel's crew were clearly more alert than that of the first raider. He could make out men running about the other raider's decks, moving to main guns. Pedro was certain that the raider would slip its lines and abandon its prize in an attempt either to confront the Cadiz or to flee. Considering the fact that the other ship's captain will have seen the number of vessels in Pedro's small armada it was more likely that the ship would flee. If it did, Pedro intended to pursue it. The Hawk was swifter than any other ship in his force and it was also the most agile. He would leave the other ships to deal with the raiders here while he moved to intercept the vessel the Cadiz was moving towards. With luck he would bring that vessel to heel. Noting this, Pedro took in the rest of the battle.

He saw immediately that the Virago stood behind the Hawk and that the vessel was ready for action. Captain Garcia had brought the Virago in line and once the Hawk had slipped past the stricken raider, the Virago would step in and hopeful finish the job. He also saw that both the Madrid and the Santa Louise had peeled off from his force and that they were actually sweeping around to the starboard of the other raider who was tied up across from the captured trader. It was clear that the Madrid was pounding away with its broadside into the side of the other raider. Her salvos were tearing the other vessel to pieces. It was also clear that the battle as it was unfolding would soon be over.

"Secure the guns," Pedro barked as the Hawk slipped by the ruined bow of the raider, "and make ready to take on that other ship. Hans plot us a course to intercept. I suspect that ship is making ready to run. Coxswain I want all possible sails. We need more speed."

One after another the men at each of the stations shouted their acknowledgement of Pedro's orders. As they did Pedro simply nodded his head and smiled.


"More sail," Bartholomew shouted anxiously to his coxswain.

Bartholomew's brow was furrowed and worry lined his face. Bartholomew was standing upon the poop deck of the Cadiz. In his hand was his spy-glass. He had just finished gazing at the other raider that lay ahead of his ship tied up to the Portuguese trader. It was clear to him that the raider now knew that the Cadiz was not friendly and that it was bearing down on the raider with the intension of doing battle. Bartholomew had seen through his spy-glass, even at the distance that they were still at, that the crew of the raider was frantically abandoning their prize in an effort to escape the wrath that Bartholomew intended to bestow upon them. He had seen the raider's deck crew scrambling about trying to raise sails while other men hacked at the lines that secured them to the prize. More importantly Bartholomew had seen men running out their cannons in an effort to defend themselves. The sight of the cannons being manned boded ill for Bartholomew and his crew. It certainly didn't put a smile on Bartholomew's face.

The good thing was that the pirates would probably try and flee. By now the captain of the pirate vessel had seen the destruction that the Cadiz had inflicted upon the other raider and the destruction inflicted by the Hawk and the Virago. It was also very probable that the captain of the other ship had noted the number of vessels in Pedro's small armada and Bartholomew knew that if the captain had any sense he would raise every yard of sail and flee. To stay and fight would be suicidal. The bad thing in all of that was the fact that the other vessel was still a half mile off from Bartholomew and there was a good chance that if the pirate craft could get a good wind to her back that she would out run the Cadiz. Bartholomew didn't want that to happen.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.