The Voyage of the Hawk - Cover

The Voyage of the Hawk

Copyright© 2016 by The Blind Man

Chapter 1

Pedro stood at the aft railing of his ship and watched as a small craft made its way towards him. He smiled to himself as the occupant of the craft became visible to his gaze. It was Ernesto, his uncle's major-domo and right hand man and from the expression on his face, Pedro could tell that the man was not happy. That didn't bother Pedro at all. In the years of knowing the faithful retainer, Pedro had rarely seen a smile on Ernesto's face. The man was perpetually unhappy even at the best of times and even more so when he had to come and speak to Pedro.

Pedro de la Vega was a young man of sixteen years. He was tall and strong in body and handsome. He had short, dark curly hair upon his head and a clean shaven face. Unlike other noble sons he wore the garments of a sailing man. His shirt was open-necked and made of white linen. The sleeves ballooned where they were tied off at his wrists. He wore dark leather britches and calf-skin boots that came to his knees. The boots had a hard sole to them. About his waist he wore a black sash that held his pistol and his sword and a long bladed knife. He also wore a black leather vest that was both padded and lined with mail. It was one of the few concessions that he accepted to take towards protecting his life. In his business life could be very dangerous.

"Ahoy the ship," came a voice from below, "permission to come aboard?"

The voice came from the man sitting at the helm of the small craft. The craft was barely twenty feet in length from bow to stern and it was being rowed by six men. The helmsman had just ordered his men to ship their oars as the little boat came along side Pedro's ship.

"Permission granted," responded Bartholomew, Pedro's first mate. The man was standing on the main deck of Pedro's vessel watching the approaching craft with as much interest and with much more concern than Pedro had shown. He had already had a hand remove a section of port railing where he was standing so that a ladder could be lowered down to the approaching nobleman. When Dom Ernesto Dias finally scrambled up the ladder a few moments later, Bartholomew extended a hand to help him up.

"Take me to him," Ernesto snapped as his feet hit the deck of Pedro's ship.

Pedro's ship was called the Hawk. The Hawk was a small xebec of Moorish design that carried two lateen sails and ten guns. The guns were mounted with two in the bow and six in the waist and two more in the stern in the aft castle just below the poop deck. It was a fine craft and Pedro was proud of it and the crew that sailed it.

"Dom Ernesto," Pedro called out joyfully as the older man ascended the steps from the main deck to the poop deck, "How are you?"

"Disappointed with you, Dom Pedro," Dom Ernesto spat out without pause to greet the young man, "and very annoyed."

"No," Pedro responded in a shocked manner, "that can not be good friend. Why would you be disappointed and annoyed with me Dom Ernesto? I have but returned this hour from being away for a month. What have I done to receive such a greeting?"

"Do not play with me Pedro," Dom Ernesto replied dropping all impression of formality between him and Pedro. "I am not a fool and neither is your uncle. More importantly neither is the King and it will be him that you answer to for what has brought me here. A royal launch is already beating a course towards the Hawk and the man sitting in its bow has orders to arrest you."

"But why so my good friend?" Pedro inquired, still speaking as if this news surprised him.

"Because of that ship there," Dom Ernesto growled in an accusatory manner, "and the fact that your pennant flies from its masthead."

The ship that Dom Ernesto Dias pointed to was a galley. The craft stood on the starboard side of the Hawk and it rode at anchor no more than two hundred feet away. The craft had two banks of oars although they had been shipped over an hour ago and it was twice the size of the Hawk. To the eye of any sailing man it was obvious that the ship had taken damage recently although not as badly as one might have suspected and although it was clearly a Spanish vessel, its colours had been struck and in their place flew the pennant and heraldry of House de la Vega.

"That my good friend is my prize," Pedro responded in a dismissive manner to the words of Dom Ernesto. "The fool captain of the vessel thought to tangle with the Hawk and he paid the price for his stupidity. I took the vessel on the high seas not two days ago and I have brought it home to sell it and to collect its value to pay off my valiant crew."

"Pedro," Dom Ernesto uttered in an exasperated manner, "that vessel belongs to the Condor and he has laid the claim of piracy against you before the king."

"Then the man is a liar," Pedro said with a shrug of his shoulders. "The vessel may have belonged to the Condor but it is now mine. The captain of the craft fired the first shot in our meeting upon the ocean and it was he who struck his colours not me."

"That does not matter Pedro," Dom Ernesto responded with a shake of his head. As he spoke he glanced back towards the shore and saw that the royal galley was quickly approaching the Hawk. Time was running out for his master's nephew. "See, even now the king's man approaches. Soon you will be arrested and brought before him."

"Then I should prepare myself to greet him with the honour due the man and his office," Pedro said with a smile, brushing past Dom Ernesto as he spoke. A moment later he was down off the poop deck of his vessel and he was speaking to his first mate.

"Bartholomew," Pedro muttered as he approached the older man, "it appears that our fears are about to be proved. That launch carries a man ordered to arrest me for piracy of the Santa de Luna."

"Then should we slip anchor and leave," Bartholomew asked, glancing towards the approaching craft, "or should we greet it with pistols and blades in our hands."

"We'll do neither my good friend," Pedro responded with a chuckle. "Instead I think we will trust in the actions of new acquaintances."

"Do you really trust her that much?" Bartholomew inquired looking a little doubtful about it. "You've only known the woman for two days and it has been under stressful conditions."

"True my friend," Pedro admitted, "but I believe the fair lady will be our best hope in this matter."

"Well she had better be," Bartholomew stated sternly as Dom Ernesto walked over to join them, "for it is not only your life that is at risk in this matter."

"What is this that you talk about Pedro," Dom Ernesto asked having heard only a portion of the conversation. "Who is this lady that Bartholomew speaks of and what part in this matter does she play."

"The lady is a witness to our innocence," Pedro responded with a wave of his hand and a smile on his lips, "and now I must go and fetch her before the king's man boards this craft. Once here I am certain that he will demand I leave with him immediately."

With that Pedro left Dom Ernesto and Bartholomew standing at the railing. Quickly Pedro headed aft once more, but this time he slipped into the passageway that ran the length of the aft castle. He was gone for no more that a couple of minutes. By the time he returned, the royal launch was tied to the side of the Hawk and the king's man was standing on the main deck asking for Pedro to present himself. The king's messenger was tall, thin, elegantly dressed, and even older that Dom Ernesto. He did not appear to be in a good mood.

"He will be with you in a moment," Bartholomew stated coldly to the richly attired man. As he spoke his hand fell to the blade that he carried at his belt.

"Well he had best make his presence known immediately," the other man declared sternly, "or the king will hear of it."

"He will be here in a moment," Dom Ernesto declared in a firm voice, "so try and be patient man. It is not as if Dom Pedro is trying to hide."

"Nor should I even want to hide," Pedro voiced loudly before the other man was able to respond to Dom Ernesto's word, announcing his presence to everyone waiting upon him. "After all, I have no reason to do so."

The man started at the sound of Pedro's voice and his sudden appearance from the doorway that led into the aft castle. The man started again when he spotted the companion that was with the young man. The companion was a very pretty young woman who was dressed all in black and who was adorned with finery and jewels. She was young and pretty and very elegant in her appearance and very desirable to look at. Her hair was as black as her attire and her matching eyes. It actually took Dom Fernando a moment to note that behind Pedro and the comely young woman stood another older woman. That woman was attired in the habit of a nun.

"What is this?" the man barked once he had regained his composure.

"Who asked?" Pedro inquired sternly gazing questioningly at the other man.

The man huffed at the question and turned red in the face in response. Bartholomew just sighed and shook his head and the young woman on his arm simply giggled. Fortunately for everyone but in particular for Pedro, Dom Ernesto kept his head.

"Dom Pedro de la Vega," Dom Ernesto intoned in a formal voice that showed years of culture and diplomacy, "may I present, Dom Fernando de Gama of the King's Court. He is here upon your vessel at the behest of our sovereign liege, King Manuel. Dom Fernando may I present Dom Pedro de la Vega, the captain of this vessel and the nephew of my master the Count of Alverez."

"Dom Fernando," Pedro muttered in response, speaking before the other man had a chance to open his mouth, "I am honoured to meet you and to welcome you upon my ship. Now if I may I will introduce this lovely lady to you. Please allow me to introduce the Dona Isabella de Cordoba, the niece of his Excellency the Count of Cordoba and her maid Sister Angelique."

With that both the lady and the nun curtsied to Dom Fernando who now stood opened mouthed in response to what he just heard. It actually took him a second or two to recover his wits and to respond. In that time Pedro took the time to introduce the lady to Dom Ernesto who unlike Dom Fernando was able to greet the young woman with all due courtesy and respect.

"Impossible," Dom Fernando finally gasped once he could say another word. "I do not believe it."

"What do you not believe Dom Fernando?" Pedro inquired with a raised eyebrow and a look of concern upon his face.

"That you dare to sail into harbour with a pirated ship in your wake," Dom Fernando declared forcefully, "and now you present me with the kidnapped niece of the man who you have plundered. Your audacity is beyond belief."

"Kidnapped?" Pedro exclaimed in protestation. "Who dares to accuse me of kidnapping this fair lady and her companion? I will face that man and teach him a lesson in manners."

"I accuse you Dom Pedro in the king's name," Dom Fernando stated firmly, "and do not deny the facts. I stand here by King Manuel's order to escort you to the palace where he will confront you with this accusation."

"Then it would be best that we all went to the palace with you," Pedro responded in a calm but firm voice, "so that I may explain things to the king before more lies can spread about me and my actions."


The palace of King Manuel of Portugal stood on the cliffs that overlooked the harbour of Lisbon. From those heights visitors to the palace could see for leagues. The view was incredible and it was well worth the trek through the city and past the fortifications just to have a chance to see it. Of course only the nobles and the men of standing ever got beyond the gates in the palace's walls.

It took time for Dom Fernando to find a carriage and a driver to transport the lady and her companion up to the palace and the presence of the king. He had not known of the woman's presence aboard the Hawk or the other vessel and he had not been prepared for the inconvenience that the woman presented. He had mounts for his men and Dom Pedro but that was it. It annoyed him to no end, especially since Dom Pedro refused to leave the woman's side. Still a carriage was found that could carry the lady and her companion. By the time it was found, the day was late and he knew that the king would not be happy.

As he rode Dom Fernando fumed. Not only was he now escorting a noble woman and her companion but his party had been joined by Dom Ernesto and men belonging to the house of the Count of Alverez. That too would upset the king.


King Manuel of Portugal was an old man. He looked frail when looked upon by others but he was not. He was stern in his dealings with ambassadors and with those who curried favours from him and he was brutal with anyone who crossed him. While his hair was grey and his beard was long his mind was still sharp and more importantly he could still hold a sword if need be. None in his kingdom challenged him openly although some like to whisper about him behind his back. At most times he let them whisper for he knew that his spies would hear the whisperings and he would find them out. Still today had come as a bit of a surprise to him.

"Where is that fool," King Manuel demanded to know of from his chamberlain, "and where is that whelp that has upset my court?"

"Your Majesty," the chamberlain muttered apologetically in reply, "I am told that they are on their way at this very moment. Unfortunately Dom Fernando ran into some unexpected problems and that has delayed him."

"What problems," King Manuel asked sternly. "Did that boy try and resist Dom Fernando?"

"No your Majesty," the chamberlain answered quickly, "Dom Pedro did not resist; however he did insist on bringing someone to vouch for him in this matter."

"The boy wanted to bring a witness," King Manuel gasped in surprise, "and Dom Fernando allowed it? I can not believe the audacity of the boy. I will have him flogged for this once I am done with him if I do not chose to do something worse. So tell me why that fool Dom Fernando allowed this young man to delay him. Who is this all important witness?"

In a whisper the chamberlain told the king. In response the king simply smiled and then he began to laugh. His laughter rang out through the palaces halls to be heard by all who were in attendance including the Count of Alverez and the Count of Cordoba.


"Dom Fernando de Gama and party," the court herald sang out fifteen minutes later informing the entire court that the guests of honour had finally arrived.

The grand court of King Manuel the 1st of Portugal fell silent as Dom Fernando de Gama led his party into the chamber. Those in attendance, both courtiers and foreign emissaries stood in silence and watch the procession with interest. All noted that Dom Pedro was not alone as he trailed after Dom Fernando and some even smiled with good humour at the sight of the pretty woman that held Dom Pedro's arm so daintily. The only one to frown on seeing the woman was the Count of Cordoba.

"Your Majesty," Dom Fernando uttered upon approaching his sovereign. He paused upon speaking those words and then bowed with a flourish before continuing. "I have returned as ordered with Dom Pedro in my charge."

"I can see that you old fool," King Manuel snarled in response stepping forward as he did. Then with a flick of his wrist and a wave of his hand he dismissed his messenger. In an instant the startled nobleman stepped aside with a parting bow.

"So Dom Pedro," King Manuel mouthed in a less that cordial l manner, "you have decided to honour my summons by bringing me a fair lady to act as your champion."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.