Challenge - Cover

Challenge

Copyright© 2016 by Dual Writer

Chapter 6

I did the morning chores while Josey prepared breakfast for the others. Monique took a long time to get ready and helped too. Josey finally said, "Okay, we'll take the Suburban, but we won't do this every day. We pay taxes for the bus and should ride it. Finish and get ready so that we're not late for school."

The kids could tell Josey was pissed and were trying to look busy and ready to leave. They could have made the bus, but Josey had already said they would drive. She told me, "Don't worry about picking up milk. I'll get it after school, along with a few loaves of bread. Talk to the butcher today so that you can get a steer in to cut up for us. Make a deal on the other steer if he needs that one too."

I heard a big truck coming up the lane and put my coat on to go out and direct the truck. The kids left and must have passed Jed's pickup as he came up the lane. He let Jenny out of the truck and took off. He was probably running late. I showed the driver where I needed the rock and watched as he understood what I was doing and evenly dropped the rock in the hole. He had smaller gravel on the front of the truck that he poured over the larger rock. They had it figured just right so that the rock was higher than the ground by a couple of inches. I gave him the promised check for the delivery and he was gone.

I showed the steamer to Jenny and told her what I was going to do with it. She thought it was smart to have an area that would drain and not be a mud pit. I explained that I didn't design it, but that a very smart man who uses one of these every day told me about it. We went inside and poured ourselves some coffee.

I had to call the doctor's office for my physical for insurance purposes and schedule an appointment at the same time for Chet. Jenny whispered and asked me to schedule her at the same time so that she could get examined too as it was past time for her woman stuff. The appointment for all of us was at nine tomorrow morning. I explained to Jenny that I was concerned that Chet hadn't been growing much and I wanted a good physical to know if he was okay.

With that done I booted the PC and checked with the store in town to see if they had the rest of the parts for the steamer. They had them all, so I ordered them online with a pickup after ten.

Grandpa didn't want to come with us, so we drove to town to pick up the parts. While we were in town, Jenny wanted to look for wedding bands in Walmart. I told her, "You're assuming a lot, aren't you?"

The woman with me opened her coat and used her hands to present herself in jeans and a turtleneck sweater, "Could and would you reject this magnificent body and all that it promises?"

The lady at the jewelry counter heard her and was dying of laughter. Jenny said, "He hasn't asked the question yet, but I wanted to check out what's available. I don't want a bunch of diamonds. I want a wide gold band for both of us. Maybe a couple of little diamond chips in it to look nice. What do you have? They took her ring size and I filed that away in my brain as an important fact. Jenny didn't see what she wanted and said we'd check back."

I knew exactly what our rings would look like and I would get them with some of the money that I had saved up and didn't need now that the farm was profitable.

It was nearly lunch time, so we ate at the diner. Several farmers greeted me and I introduced Jenny Browning, daughter of Burt and Sara Browning, to everyone. Jenny was a happy girl. She was feeling more confident of our future union by the minute.

We went back to Walmart and I bought her a phone like mine that was still available and signed her up on our account so that it would automatically be paid every month. She asked, "Why do I need a cell phone?"

"So that you can call when you want or need to talk to me. I'll show you how to have a video conversation with me, Josey, or maybe even your brother if you want. I want you to have the phone for emergencies and if you get too lonely. I can't hang on the phone during the day, but I will talk to you some in the evening if we can't get together. You have a number close to Jeff's. He'll get a kick out of that."

Jenny had watery eyes and asked, "You're doing all this stuff with me and for me to show me what you do think of me and to make sure that I know that you're thinking of me. Does this mean you're asking me?"

"I didn't ask you because you're so impatient that we'd be in front of the priest tomorrow if I did."

Jenny wouldn't look me in the eye, but asked, "Could you come to the Church and talk to the Father with me? There are some things you should know and some things you'll need to do. Will you come with me to find out?"

"I suppose this is inevitable, so call him and let's get started on what he might want."

Jenny used my phone to call the Church and speak to the priest while we were driving toward home. She had to really press him for an appointment, and he finally agreed to two o'clock this afternoon.

There wasn't going to be a lot of time between arriving home and having to leave for the Church. Jenny asked me, "Have you been baptized?" on the way to the Church.

I nodded and said, "I was baptized when the Church I go to was a denominational church. The baptismal ceremony is a lot different now than it used to be. I asked our pastor if he thought I should be baptized again, and he said 'once baptized, always baptized'."

"That is good because we can have a sacramental Mass if we want. I don't need a lot of pomp and circumstance, just a wedding ceremony in the Church. That will satisfy me. We will have to go to some preparation meetings, but they aren't long or too boring. You'll learn about my religion. The priest might be a little pushy with you, but just be nice. He is a nice guy."

We were early and the priest came from his office and invited us in. He asked me a few dozen questions, and then asked Jenny several questions. He said to me, "Jenny wants to get married soon. Are you pregnant, Jenny?"

That made me angry, and I said, "It will be the second coming of Christ if she is pregnant."

The man's mouth dropped, and he said, "That is almost blasphemy. I asked a valid question."

"Jenny and I are good people, Father. We are both virgins and are willing to remain that way until we do get married or decide to just live together. We don't want that. We want to get married in a Church, preferably your Church, with you presiding over the wedding. Jenny is a good woman and will be an honorable woman throughout our life and marriage. Now, what do we need to do?"

"It's good that you defended your intended, but please be careful how you address Christ and how you might reference the Blessed Virgin Mary. Forgive me for asking a question that was too strong for your values. I knew your parents since your Mother was raised Catholic, Kenneth. We talked several times but she never came back to the Church. Your family has always been good neighbors and helped those in trouble. I hope you will continue. I want you to come to four short meetings that will also be attended by others getting married. You will learn more of Jennifer's religion and the values that she has regarding marriage and religion, Kenneth. Will you attend these?"

"Sure, Father. I need to learn as much as possible about this person if I'm going to commit the rest of my life to her. When are these meetings?"

The man smiled and said, "Tonight, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. They are being a little rushed as one couple needs to get married quickly, so two other couples will have the opportunity to have these meetings at the same time. Will we see you tonight?"

I looked at Jenny and we both nodded. "Yes, Sir, we'll be here."

The priest asked Jenny to step out of the room for a moment. The priest said, "Just so you know, while my services are free, the parish charges for the use of the facilities." I learned later on that his services were free but that a monetary "gift" to him was customary. "For a member of the parish like Jenny and her family, the use of the sanctuary is technically free also, but there are other costs which still have to be paid, so the price for your wedding is a thousand dollars, which covers the payment for the organist, a small choir if desired, the cleanup, and a 'choreographer', which is our joking name for the person who tells everybody, including me, where to stand, when to walk, and so forth, and another thousand if you have your reception in the parish hall. Jenny's father can pay this or you can. Can you cover the fees if need be. That was a little stiffer than I thought, but I asked, "I need to ask if that is all inclusive or will there be additional requests, Father."

"That will be fine if you are having a simple wedding ceremony or even a full sacramental Mass. If you're going to decorate the chapel, there may be some additional costs for supplies or cleanup."

"That's fair. I don't know what they plan, but Jenny and I would prefer something simple and low key. We want to celebrate our marriage in private rather than a big splash."

The priest stuck his hand out and we shook. "I wish more couples would do as you two want to do. It will be a pleasure to join the two of you."

Jenny and I left for home but I headed to town again to see if I could get what I wanted instead. We stopped at the little jewelry store in the small business district. The old man looked up from his workbench and smiled. He said, "I'll bet you two want something for a wedding." Our smiles confirmed it. I told him, "Jenny wants us to have a wide gold band. I want you to insert tiny diamonds or chips in a cluster that would resemble a cross. Can you do that?"

The man took a sheet of paper and drew a ring and then the cross. He looked at it a while, and said, "I like it. I know both of you. You're the oldest Schulz boy, and you're Sara Browning's oldest daughter. I'm sorry you lost your folks in that terrible accident, Ken. I've just heard there is an investigation going on having to do with that. I hope it works out. Now when can I make these?"

"You'll want our ring sizes and the width of the gold band."

The man said, the top of the band will be very broad, but the bottom will be smaller. It will fit better and won't get in your way and won't have a tendency to slide off. I will make the bands to look very massive. He wrote a number on a sheet of paper and handed it to me. "Is that okay?"

It was a lot less than I thought. "That will be fine. Should I give you my debit card now or later?"

The man said, "Let me charge half today and the other half when you pick them up."

We drove home and I walked Jenny to the side of the house where a giant oak was when we arrived, and had her sit on the bench Dad had built for Mom and him. I knelt in front of Jenny when she sat, and asked, "Jenny Browning, we won't have a fancy ring set, but the question is still the same, will you marry me?"

She said, "Yes, keep me forever, Kenny," as two big tears ran down her cheeks.

I told her, "I really didn't want this to be so fast, but I have a feeling that it's going to have to be if we are to keep our promise. I'm going to take you home so you can talk to your mom and dad. They will have a lot of questions. Plug your phone in to let it charge. Read the book to learn how to use it. I'm scared and don't know whether or not we should get married so fast now."

Jenny said, "We don't have to instantly get married. We can learn more about each other, but we're going to have to be careful or we won't be virgins walking down the aisle. I want you this minute and will every minute until we are married and alone. They have classes for everything but the one thing we want to do. Mom gave me a book that I've read backwards and forwards that explains and describes every pleasure a man and woman can give each other. We'll take that to bed and figure out what we like best. It even says that it can be fun to do it everywhere in the house and not just in bed."

We were sitting side by side on the bench when Jenny said after a gentle kiss, "This is so romantic. This is even better than my fantasy. In my fantasy, we were in your pickup parked out in a cornfield watching a full moon and you asked me then. This is much better. Take me home, I have to tell Mom."

Jenny asked, "When do you want to do it?" on the way home.

I told her, "You decide, and then get with Josey so that she can help you plan. Make sure it's simple."

Jenny wanted me to come inside for a minute. Mrs. Browning greeted me with a hug and looked at her daughter. "Do you have something to tell me?"

"He did it, Mom. He asked me to marry him. We went to see the priest today and we start the preparation meetings tonight. There's someone who needs to marry in a hurry, so the meetings are tonight through Thursday. Will you pick me up, Kenny?"

"Of course. I'll be here at six thirty. We'll have plenty of time to be there by seven."

Sara said, "Well, that gets rid of two of you this evening. Jed has something he's doing."

I had a flash, but let it go as it couldn't be. I left and drove home to do the evening chores before the kids got home. I quickly showered and put clean jeans and a nice shirt on. Grandpa was checking something in the big slow cooker when I went down to the kitchen. He said, "Supper is this thing. Josey said it would be done for supper and it's done now. Can you believe she can cook dinner and be at school at the same time?"

Grandpa then asked, "There were a couple of men who came by and said that Josey was having them do some work. What she is going to do is at that little spot by the edge of the road with the nice trees?"

The flash hit me again, "I think Josey is going to get married, Grandpa. I'm going to do that too, but I didn't think it would be this fast. I think we're both going to the same preparation meeting tonight. She won't be eighteen until May. I guess I'll have to sign for her."

The kids drove up in the Suburban and brought the groceries and six gallons of milk in. I watched Josey as she was flitting around doing all the things that needed to be done. I advised the kids that the chores were done. I then told Josey, "Jenny and I are going to the Church for a preparation meeting tonight. Do you want to go with us or will you go separately?"

"How did you know? Jed and I were trying to keep it quiet so that we could get married and the kids at school wouldn't know."

Josey sagged against me. "I asked Jenny to marry me today, Josey. That's why we'll be going to those same meetings. You two can talk afterward to see how we can do this. I'll bet there is a neat way to take care of it all. I suspect Jed is bringing a trailer here and going to park it next to those trees by the fence. That's a nice location and should work for you guys. You could have used the big bedroom and Jenny and I could use my room."

"No, use that big bedroom or buy a trailer like Jed did. I'm going crazy wanting to be with Jed, Kenny, but we're going to get married like you and Jenny and be virgins when we do it. I hope God forgives me for thinking improper thoughts all the time, but I do restrict my actions."

We ate supper and I left to pick Jenny up, only to be waylaid by Burt. "You didn't run fast enough, huh? That's okay, because I need you as a son-in-law."

I said to the man, "I'm paying the charges for the use of the church, Burt. If he asks you for more, tell him to ask me instead. He said that was all unless we messed up his sanctuary with flowers. Don't give him more money."

"You do know they don't have much money and they can get some with marriages and baptisms etc. Don't be angry at them for wanting some money for extras." I wasn't angry, but I asked point blank if that was all of it and it should be.

The meeting was informative, and very short. We were out of there by seven forty-five. We went to our house to talk because it would be less crowded. Jed and I walked down the lane to where he was going to put his trailer while Josey and Jenny talked. "You need to dig for a septic tank, put in a well, pour a pad for your trailer, and you have to have the electric company bring power to it, Jed."

Jed said, "The water well guy said he'll bring a witcher out to find the place for the well. I've called the electric company, and I've called Harvey in town to do the septic and hookup. I think I've thought of everything. I got a good deal on a small double-wide that will sit on blocks for right now. The men who came out to measure said it will fit nicely. I'll get some gravel for a driveway from your lane road. There are a couple of other places between where we will be and the house, but I'll leave those for you or the other kids. Josey thinks you're going to fill the house up with kids, so we're going to build our place right here on the other side of where the trailer will be. I think between my dad and my friends, I can build our home in less than a year."

We walked back to the house and I complimented Jed on working fast. He said, "That's what I do for the company I work for in town now. They move construction equipment around to different sites, and it's my job to make sure everything is ready for the equipment. There's a lot of planning, but something always gets lost in the shuffle. It's my job to make sure that it doesn't happen, but it's up to me to make it right when someone else misses something. These people have really kicked me up the ladder considering that I only have some internet college courses that I'm working on. I'm making good money now, and I still work on the farm with Dad and the boys. There are only three of us boys, but nine girls. At least you guys are three and three."

Having nine sisters would be a disaster. I asked Jed, "When does Josey want to get married?"

Jed said, "Yesterday," in a very deadpan expression. He paused, and then said, "I'm not sure since you and Jenny are going to do it too. We want simple, only our families. No big shindig, just a simple ceremony, and then we all get together for some cake and ice cream. It's going to take at least a week to get the house ready, probably more, so I'm thinking two or three weeks. The earliest would be the Saturday after next."

"Let's see what the girls think." I knew how Josey is and how nuts Jenny was getting.

Josey and Jenny were at the table writing things down on a tablet when we walked into the kitchen. Josey looked up at Jed and me, and said, "People just can't move fast enough sometimes. I know a water well can't magically appear. An electrical line can't magically be connected. I also know the septic tank takes a few days to dig and cover. Why can't they happen faster?"

Jed was talking on his cell phone as he hugged Josey. He said into the phone, "Make it happen if you can do it. That would resolve that problem."

Jed said, "That was my buddy, Brian, who is going to run pipe up to your pump house and connect to your well. He said that you have enough water for the entire county, so he recommends putting deep water lines in to the well house and putting a larger pressure tank in. He can do it all for next to nothing."

Josey was smiling. She said, "The REA said they can have a utility pole for our new home in place by tomorrow afternoon. Harvey said he will have the septic and lines in by Thursday. You said the trailer was going to be set up and connected Friday, right, Jed."

"Jenny and I have agreed that we will make sure everything gets done between now and a week from this Saturday. I want to have both our weddings the same day, unless you two want to get married this Saturday, and us the next. Kenny and I are very close, and I think it will have a special meaning that we enter into our marriages physically innocent."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.