Challenge
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2016 by Dual Writer

Josie and I had been to an auction and were chilled from having been in the cold and rain for over half the day. We had all our purchases home and were in the kitchen.

Grandpa asked, "You went a little nuts today, how bad did you blow your budget?" when we were having a cup of coffee to warm up.

Josey came over with her pad and began to tell Grandpa how much we had paid for each item. He couldn't believe the prices, and when we had totaled everything up, he said, "You know, I've never known you kids to lie about anything, but you're telling me that you bought two running tractors, a combine, your round baler, and animals for thirteen hundred and seventy five dollars?"

Josey stood with her hands on her hips, "Don't forget the twenty-five cents I gave for the machine shed."

I laughed and told Grandpa, "We made a deal to tear down the big metal barn they had. They asked for twenty five, so Josey tossed a quarter up on the guy's podium."

Grandpa became alarmed, and asked, "How are you going to move that barn? That's a lot of work. Where are you going to put it?"

"We went to that auction to buy what we could with a budget of twelve thousand, Grandpa. I'll bet that I can get that building moved for less than ten thousand. We'll move the fence on the other side of our machine shed and butt it up next to the big building we have now. I stepped it off and the building is thirty feet longer and twenty-five feet wider than what we have. It'll hold almost everything we bought, and I can work on all the equipment this winter to get it ready for spring. I'm thinking that we can sell a lot of it to the equipment dealer in town or that big dealer in the city."

"You're something else, Kenny. I was really worried about you kids, but you've proven that you kids know what to do and how to run a farm since I've been here. Shoot, Josey isn't even finished with high school and is taking care of the books. I know a lot of kids quit school and get married, but you kids are working a farm, feeding yourselves, and being good citizens while you're doing it. You've given your Aunt Kate a new outlook on life. She's getting a divorce from Seth because he's going to be in jail for the rest of his life. She gets their farm and she'll probably let you farm it if you want. You know her place is over close to Mackey's place. You need to invite both of them to a Sunday dinner so they can meet each other, as a matter of fact. That might work."

Oh boy, Grandpa was going into matchmaking. Josey winked at me.

Grandpa asked Chet and Monique to stay at the table, and told June and Jeff they should go do homework or watch TV. I had a feeling about what was coming, and I could see that Josey did too.

Grandpa smiled at the middle sister and brother before saying, "You know that you two aren't fooling anyone. That blind guy, Ray Charles, can see you two are getting together as often as you can. Now, I'm not saying that it's wrong, but I'm telling you that it can eat you up if something goes wrong and you misjudge the timing. It only takes one mistake and the world then knows something's going on. What are you planning?"

Chet looked at Monique, and then Grandpa, "We don't know what to do now, Grandpa, but we plan on going somewhere to live like a man and wife. I'm a good worker, and Monique is willing to work so that we will have a chance to save up some money to start a family. We love each other and know that society and other people won't agree with the way we feel, but we don't care what others think of us. We want to be together and we will be when we're finished with school."

Grandpa said, "I thought you were going to college to be the successful farmer that you wanted to be, and you, Monique, I thought you were going to be a Broadway actress. How did all that change?"

Monique said, "I was already changing my mind before Chet and I got together. Being an actress is sort of faking it in life. I don't like most of the young actresses and don't want to be like them. I was thinking of going to college and becoming a teacher. I was more recently thinking that Chet and I could go to the same college and maybe live together while we were in school. Chet, Josey, and Kenny are already taking college courses over the internet. Chet will be a year ahead if his courses can transfer when hegets through high school. I'll take internet classes while I wait for Chet to finish high school. We've thought about this a lot, Grandpa. We want to be a couple and eventually have a family."

"So you two are going to give up on the farm? You're going to leave it all for your brothers and sisters to work?"

Chet said, "Monique and I always thought Kenny and Josey were doing stuff as close as they are with each other, but then June spends as much time in Kenny's bed as Josey does. Heck, those two girls are often in there with him at the same time. I think the funny thing is that up until this last year, Jeff used to go into Kenny's room to sleep with him. Jeff always said he slept better when he was with Kenny. We know now that they weren't doing anything, but we sort of thought they were."

Monique said, "Josey's been trying to get Kenny to go to town more on weekends to meet some of the eligible women around. Josey's only had a couple of dates since school started this year, but it's because she's been taking care of all of us. June and I are trying to help her and we encourage her to date, but I think she turns down a lot of boys because she thinks she needs to be around for us. Look at today: Kenny and Josey went to an auction and brought home a lot of equipment and stock. She was in here making supper as soon as it was all here. June and I should have done that, but we all went to get the rest of the equipment. I feel guilty for not doing more."

Josey told Monique, "You and June do a lot. You two have been doing all the washing and ironing for us. That's a lot to do. I'm a faster cook and need to be teaching you and June a lot more, but we're all so busy with chores, household jobs, and homework. We need to work that into our schedules so that you're a good homemaker for Chet."

Monique smiled at that and said, "I do want to be a good woman for him."

Grandpa shook his head. "So you, Kenny, and you, Josey, don't have a problem with them running off to raise a family?"

I said, "Sure we're concerned, Grandpa, but we also know that we are all very strong-willed. I believe that's what's going to happen if Chet and Monique can sit there and tell us all they love each other and are going to be together forever. Josey and I believe that we aren't going to be able to separate them, so we might as well live with it. We love them as much as they love each other, but we're not inclined to be together in the same way that they enjoy being with each other. They don't act silly with each other in school. No one thinks anything of Monique or Chet not doing a lot or any dating since I've never really dated, and Josey hardly ever dates. I think June and Jeff will make up for the rest of us."

Grandpa laughed, and said, "You're probably right. Well, Kids, you seem to have thought about this, so let me remind you that I may not be in favor of your relationship, but I will still listen to you kids and give you advice if you want it."

He smiled again, and said, "Your grandmother could tell you some stories if she was still with us. She came from a very big family with ten kids. Some of them ran off with each other when they were almost sixteen to live together and have big families. I think there were three couples out of that mess. She would tell on my family that I think all my sisters married first cousins. I was the only boy, and everyone thought I would end up with one of my cousins too, but I met your grandmother and it was all over for me. Mom and Dad, your great grandparents, set the farm up for us, and you're working it right now. We added to it when there was a tax sale, but it still is the right size for a one family to farm. I think the farm could handle a couple more families, but they would have to get along. You know that you can build more houses here if you want, don't you?"

Wow, Grandpa was really talkative tonight. Monique and Chet said they were going to get ready for bed. Grandpa shook his head over that. Josey told me, "We both need to clean up after being out in the cold all day. You might want to wait to shave until morning so you'll be fresh for Church."

Grandpa said, "You two are so special. I wish it was you two who were pairing up. You fit each other well. That you both have taken responsibility for the others is special. It's almost too bad that society would frown on that. I'm sure that you will both find good mates one of these days. Now, go clean up before bed. You folks and I need Church tomorrow."

I noticed that June and Jeff had cleaned up and were in their sleep clothes. They were doing something with their phones. June showed me her phone that had a picture of Jeff on it. He could talk to her on his phone and then I looked at his phone and she was talking to him on her phone. Jeff said, "We're using Skype to do this. It's a free App that you can use on a regular computer if you have a camera."

I told the two, "Help put that on Grandpa's, Josey's, and my phone. That will be a great way to talk."

Jeff said, "We showed Aunt Kate. Let me show you."

He called Kate and she said she had to put a housecoat on to be on camera and that she would call Jeff on Skype. Jeff answered the phone a minute later, and we could immediately see Aunt Kate. I told her, "Come to Church with us tomorrow, and then come over for dinner. I have someone for you to meet."

"Are you trying to set me up with some guy?"

"Sort of, but more than anything it's a man who is a nice guy and a farmer I met at an auction today. We did some business together."

"Okay, I trust you. Do I have to go to Church?"

"No, but why not? Church is fun and you might enjoy visiting with the ladies there."

Kate said, "I'm not all that welcome with a lot of the women because of what Seth did. That I've filed for divorce from that man might help, but a lot of women are not very forgiving."

"You'll be with us, and I think that will make you a lot more acceptable."

"Okay, okay, I'll come. I'll see you there in the morning. Ten o'clock, right?"

"Yes, Ma'am. See you then."

I had to run for my phone that was on the charger and called John Mackey. He said, "It says here that a Schulz is calling me. Did you see my note?"

"Yes Sir, I did. Thanks for bringing the stock over here. I'm going to send one of my steers to the butcher, do you need beef?"

"I'm fine with a nearly full freezer, but thanks for asking."

I asked him, "How about coming for dinner tomorrow, John? Josey and I'd like you to come. Grandpa says he knows you, so it would be good. My Aunt Kate is going to be here too. Oh, you could come to Church with us too if you want."

"You're amazing, Kid. You showed me some grit to be out there in the cold and rain today and you didn't back down for what you wanted and ended up owning a bunch of what I hope isn't junk. I have a lead for you to get that building moved."

"That's great, John, bring it with you when you come to Church and dinner tomorrow. You'll have a good time and a great meal. The girls are good cooks."

The man didn't pause long before saying, "You know what? I'll meet you guys at Church. My wife used to go for the ten o'clock service. Is that the right one for you guys?"

"That's the one. You can just come to the house after Church. We'll have some snacks before dinner and you'll have a chance to visit with Grandpa and my aunt."

"Well, I want to talk to you about farming too. I think you must be doing something right by the way you conducted yourself today. We'll have some time to talk."

"See you tomorrow, John. You'll enjoy Church."

I ran upstairs and stood in the bathroom while Josey was in the shower, "I have both John Mackey and Aunt Kate going to Church with us, and then coming to dinner, Josey. What can I get out of the freezer for tomorrow's dinner?"

I heard Josey choke, then laugh, "You're so bad. We should probably have spoken about this before you invited everyone. Don't worry, I have a huge roast in the fridge that we'll put it in the oven before we leave for church. We have everything else to make a big meal. Get out of here unless you're trying to perv on me. Remember that I get to see what you get to see."

I left the bathroom thinking about seeing the girls when we go skinny-dipping at the spring. That was always interesting.

I stepped in and did my three minute shower as soon as she was out. I noticed that my hair was getting to the point of needing to be cut. The boys were probably getting shaggy, too, if I was getting that way. We were used to doing each other. The girls would sometimes help, but we mostly cut each other's hair.

I put my sleep shorts and T-shirt on and went down to the kitchen. The three girls were in the kitchen making pies. I felt that the oven was on, so they were going to begin some prep for tomorrow's dinner. Josey smiled at me and said, "Just look at these girls make pies. They know how to please you men."

June said, "I'm making this one for Kenny. I know he loves apple pie; it's his favorite."

I told her, "Thank you for making something for me, June. I think we all like your apple pies."

There were potatoes peeled, carrots peeled, a couple of onions ready, along with some green beans that had been canned during the summer. Six teenage kids eat a lot of food if you thought about it. Grandpa doesn't eat much, but some. We were used to making a pretty big meal.

"Thank you, Girls. I think this might be good for Aunt Kate. I hope it's good for Mr. Mackey too. I think we'll be working with him a lot more over time."

Josey slid into bed with me and was lying on my shoulder that night. She whispered to me, "You heard what Grandpa said. He thinks we were made for each other. Should we see if we are?"

I kissed Josey's forehead, and told her, "I love you dearly, Josey, and know that it took your help and abilities to get us through those bad days. We can't go there because we have the kids to raise and to be good citizens. We couldn't go away where no one knows us if you and I were to be like Monique and Chet. We're going to be right here, or right around here all our lives. I think we'll just love each other in the purest form and find that person out there who's right for us. We'll find them."

I think we fell asleep thinking of how to find each other in someone else.

Morning chores were fast, and I then had a quick shower and shave. I must still be growing because my suit coat was getting very tight in the shoulders, and my pants were getting short again. Surprisingly my shoes still felt comfortable. I'd go get another Sunday go-to-meeting suit when I had everything settled down. I'd make do between now and then.

I was actually surprised to have both John Mackey and Aunt Kate with us at the Church service. Thank goodness the pastor didn't get into his fire and brimstone rant that he did every once in a while. He talked about being a Good Samaritan and a good neighbor.

John wanted me to show him around when we were all at home, and was amazed at how much equipment was stacked under the available areas. The combine and two tractors were covered with tarps. The wagons were lined up in a row with the one we already had. I was excited to have the extra wagons so now we could have wagons going to the grain elevator while more were being filled. This would definitely speed up the grain transport.

John said, "You already have a good baler; why did you want the round baler?"

"A lot of people want the big round bales now. I don't think they realize how unwieldy they are and I know most don't have equipment to move them around. They think that a big round bale like that will be perfect for their animals and they won't have to feed them as often. You and I both know that the animals will pull the hay out and trample a lot of it. I'll probably get called back often to move bales for them. But, hey, that's how I can still be earning a buck."

I showed him the area where I was going to put the new machine shed. He liked the location and even commented that we might be able to open the sides of both buildings where they joined and be able to walk from one building to the other. That was a good idea. We would need some kind of trough so that rain water wouldn't get into the buildings. We needed to make it so that the water ran to the back of the building.

John asked me, "What are you going to do with all that equipment?"

I told the man; "winters aren't very demanding, so my dad always worked on equipment during the winter to make sure everything was ready for the spring. I'll spend this winter doing the same and be putting this new equipment into salable shape. I'll sharpen the discs and plowshares, make sure all the bearings are good, grease fittings work, and everything that needs it is painted like new. I think I can sell most of everything to the equipment dealer in town or that big one in the city. I'll get it all ready to use and sell all I can. Whatever's left over will have to wait for next year. That'll give me something to do and some extra cash when I sell it. I'd really like to get that combine back to new. The motor on it is bigger and better than the one we have. The hopper is almost double in size, and the corn head has eight rows instead of six, and the bean head is new and really in good shape."

John told me, "Ask Harold at the grain elevator about the coal oil heaters he has. A lot of the chicken farmers buy them, but I put one in each of my big machine sheds so I can work on equipment when it's brutally cold. All you have to do is vent it at the roof which is easy to do. Put one in each building and it'll keep the temperature up near sixty even when it's way below zero outside. The other things you'll need are good exhaust fans so that you don't asphyxiate yourself."

We went inside at the exact right time to smell the fresh baked rolls as they came out of the oven. Our big table was being filled with food. It was nice to see Aunt Kate smiling as she helped with dinner. We had Grandpa at one end and John at the other. We had four people on one side of the table that included Kate sitting next to John, and only three on the other. Grandpa said grace and we began passing the food.

John and Kate fell into some easy conversation and were surprised they were close neighbors. Kate told John that she was looking for someone to sharecrop her ground because the people who worked the ground the previous five years let a lot of the field become overgrown on the outside and she was losing tillable acreage. John said he'd come look at it. That's all we could do. Nature would have to take its course from there, and see if these two had any attraction to each other.

It was a great meal, and then we had some of the pie that had been baked the night before. This was some good stuff.

I called the building contractor John had given me on Monday morning, and talked to the owner. He said he needed work and agreed to meet me at the farm where the auction had been held. He looked at the building, took a bunch of pictures, measured it, and then we went to our place for me to show him where I wanted the building. I gave him the idea John had about joining the two buildings and opening the sides of both and putting some kind of trough and sealer between the buildings to keep them dry. I asked him about some chimneys for coal oil heaters, and he said those would be easy.

We went inside where Grandpa had made some fresh coffee. The man did a lot of figuring on his pad until he asked, "How would you pay me if we agree on a number? Would it be a little at a time, thirds, or all at once?"

I'd prefer to pay you all at once unless you need half in front and the other half when you're done."

"That would be perfect. I can do everything you want, including the electrical, exhaust fans, and chimneys for seventy eight hundred."

That sounded really good to me. I looked at Grandpa who gave a slight nod and slowly closed and open his eyes. I told the contractor, "Do it. Now tell me your schedule."

The man said he would start to pull the building down tomorrow and should be done by Friday. I didn't think that was possible, but this guy was the builder. He told me he was going to pull the poles up with the concrete on them so they could be buried and be stable without putting more concrete down since it was so cold. That should work.

I went for the farm checkbook and wrote the check for thirty-nine hundred dollars after he had made out a contract that spelled out exactly what he was going to do. He even listed that I supplied the heaters. I'd get those tomorrow morning. We were going to have all that equipment and a new machine shed for less than we had budgeted for the round baler. This was really good.

Josey was excited that evening that I had made the deal to get the new barn relocated. The farm was growing in a good way.

Tuesday was a good day, because Harold at the grain elevator was being lazy since there wasn't much to do except move his bagged stock around and bait mousetraps. He made a good deal on two of his biggest coal oil heaters. The heater packages came with a bunch of pipe for the exhaust. I made sure that we could use diesel fuel instead of coal oil. I'd buy coal oil if it became cheaper, but diesel was cheaper right now since we didn't pay road taxes. I went by the farm where the auction had been held and was amazed to find the building almost completely stripped of the siding and top. The contractor was going to transport the four big doors that were on tracks whole instead tearing them down and rebuilding them. He had a big truck with a tractor that had a lift on it.

I showed the guy my heaters and he said that I bought the good ones. He said I needed some large round containers to put rock in so I could put the heaters on them so they wouldn't sit on the ground and rust. I measured the bases and went to Walmart. They had what I needed in their lawn and garden area as garden pools. With that done, I went by the rock quarry and bought about a half ton of gravel.

I put the small garden pool in the center of the old building at home, and filled it with rock. I then assembled the heater and stacked the vent pipes next to it. I put the other heater and garden pool in the front of the building, and left the remainder of the gravel in the truck until I needed to put it in the other pool.

The contractor showed up with his truck loaded with the building Wednesday morning. His men began digging holes for the poles, while some of his other men took the siding off the existing machine shed. A couple of men erected the vent pipes and cut the hole out to fit them through the roof, and then put a seal around the pipe with a lot of tar to further seal it. I filled the heater with diesel and lit it. I turned it only to half and it was radiating enough heat that the men came in to warm their hands. I began working on the round baler since it was quickly fairly warm in the building. I had downloaded the manual for the machine from the internet and went through the machine inch by inch. I cleaned everything and manually worked each mechanism to make sure it was doing what the book said it should. I had everything checked and lubricated by the time the kids came in from school. All I needed now was paint. I needed some Case green for this and for the combine. I would buy at least a gallon when I went to town.

Grandpa ventured out in the cold Friday morning when the contractor told me that it looked like they were just about done. One of his men was pouring water on the areas where there was a trough for the water runoff. He was pouring water to make sure nothing made it under the lapped roofing. All of it was well-tarred and should be re-tarred about every two to three years. The heater was already working in the building and the man had put the two dozen light fixtures that lit the building in. Both buildings were now well-lit and warm. The big sliding doors moved easily on the tracks, plus the new building had a regular walk-in door built into one sliding door so that you didn't have to move it to get in or out.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.