Gordy on Walkabout - Cover

Gordy on Walkabout

Copyright© 2017 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 13: Leaving Port Macquarie

I felt much better as I walked back to Settlers Inn. Much better. I though of just where I was. Northern coast of New South Wales. I had old friends nearby. Well, only a few hours away. I got my phone book and sat down. There they were: Evans. South Grafton. And a phone number. I tried to call. Busy! What nerve! I’d shower, dress and try again before going out for a drink. But first I looked at the directory beside the phone in my room.

There was a LandRover dealer here in Port Macquarie! My pamphlet read: “When a vehicle is operated in extremely arduous conditions, a dusty, wet or muddy terrain, more frequent attention must be paid to servicing requirements.”

I phoned the “Service” number. Could I bring the vehicle now and leave it overnight? Of course. I was but a few minutes away along Hastings River Drive. No right turn! I drove left to a roundabout and then to “Port Macquarie Land Rover.” I explained that while I’d done only a few thousand kilometres, most of it had been in desert and brush. Change filters and fluids and check tyres, brakes and belts. It would be ready tomorrow about noon. (They wanted to get it out as “the fishin’ fools” would have emergencies over the weekend.) I walked back to Settlers Inn.

“Evans residence.”

“Willy? This is Gordy.”

“Hey! How are you?”

“Surviving. Maybe better than that. I’m in your neighborhood, in a sense. Are you busy this weekend?”

“I don’t think so. I assume Evans will drown worms and I might cruise somewhere.”

“And the litter?”

“Scott’s at Recruit School; Olwen’s at UNE.”

“Oh my. I was in Armidale last week!”

“And where are you now?”

“Port Macquarie. But I thought I might head in your direction.”

“Wonderful! Tomorrow?”

“No, that’s impossible, my LandRover is being serviced. How about Friday?”

“Great! I presume you’ll drive up the Pacific Highway.”

“Right.”

“OK. Well, make a left onto Old Lilypool Road. You wander around Old Lilypool for a while, and you’ll see Pullen Flowers on your right. That’s p-u-double l-e-n. Right afterwards there’s a road on the right. Keiro Road. Turn there. Keep to the left. We’re the last house.”

“I think I’ll manage. A1 to Lilypool to Keiro.”

“It’ll take a bit over three hours.”

“Well, with luck, I’ll see you around 12:30 on Friday.”

“I’ll tell the master.” I laughed. “Phone if there’s a problem.”

“Thanks. Can I bring anything?”

“Yourself.”

“See you soon.”

Interesting. I’d see Willy and Evans day after tomorrow. I decided on a treat, so I walked to Bay Street and over to the Seasalt Restaurant where I splurged on an expensive seafood platter and a quarter-litre of Henry’s Sons Riesling. It was the most expensive meal in several months. But it was delicious.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.