The Hurricane of 2020
Chapter 38

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

I had talked to Eve the night before. I was heading to Birmingham tomorrow for the weekend. She and Joan would fly down. It was the late in the afternoon when Eve called Thursday. She said, "We have been back at the table negotiating. The production company is starting to come around. I think they finally realize that I haven't been bluffing. I think the 'for sale' sign on my house here surprised and convinced them. We don't have an agreement but they will fly to Birmingham for a couple of days. My lawyer will fly down, too. I wish you could be there. You could cut through their line of b.s. even more effectively. We laid out the new basics including the move, revenue sharing, and production credit. We told them this afternoon that any new contract had to have those pieces included for us to talk."

I chuckled. "Hopefully, they will see the light. I will be up there tomorrow afternoon. Things are quieting down here now. Matt doesn't know it but I'm training him to be Director." I chuckled. "He's a good manager."

She said, "Darling, why don't you terminate your room and spend the week here? The phones and Internet work and you could look at your duties from a different perspective."

I chuckled. "And give you an opportunity to have your way with my body, too."

"Well, there is that though I don't think you are complaining."

"Nope nor will I. That sounds good. I will do it."

That evening, I returned to my motel and settled up. I told them I might be back but would be spending a week in Birmingham at least. In the morning, I packed my car for the trip and then went into the office. I grabbed doughnuts on the way. I was at my desk looking over reports while I drank coffee and ate a doughnut or three. Tracey and Matt came in together holding hands. I heard Tracey say, "Watch out, Dear. He brought doughnuts. Someone is going to get a crappy job." Matt laughed as they helped themselves to coffee and doughnuts. They went to their desks.

I said, "Good morning. Matt, she's right. I'm going to spend a week in Birmingham. Tag, you're it. I plan to return Monday week. Treat everything like it's your show from now on." I grinned.

Matt exclaim, "Crap! Sorry, Boss. What are you talking about?"

"It's simple. I'm going to Birmingham for a week and leaving you in charge. Tracey will help me prepare an email blast to the staff. I'm taking a short vacation."

Matt grimaced. "It's simple for you. I'm the one left holding the bag."

I grinned. "That's not a nice way to refer to Tracey."

Matt said, "I wasn't referring to Tracey. What am I supposed to do?"

"Run the show. It's yours. Whatever you decide to do, I'll back."

Matt said, "Oh, that makes me feel all warm inside."

Tracey said, "You can handle it, Love. People will listen to you. It will give me a chance to work under you." She giggled and blushed when she realized that I, of course, heard her and understood the implication."

She looked at me. "When do you want to send that email, Bill?"

"As soon as possible. That gives people a chance to bitch and me to pound on them in an appropriate manner. It's time people understood that a well-functioning machine works well and no one person is irreplaceable."

Matt still looked somewhat dumbfounded. Tracey came over to my desk and we set up the email and worded it to suit me. She grimaced. "That's fairly strong wording."

I said, "I am leaving Matt in charge. If he makes someone unhappy and they complain to me, it had better be serious or it could be a career ending event. I will call a few times for reports just to make sure the weather is fine. I expect him to solve problems and move the agency onward."

Matt was listening. "Boss, that's putting things rather strongly."

"No. It means that you have to seriously screw up or they should live with the situation."

I grinned. "Others will get their chance later. You're just the first victim." We finished the email and sent it. "It will be interesting to find out who squawks."

Half an hour later, April came to my desk. "Bill, is this for real?" I nodded. "Okay, I had some items to raise for next week. Should I delay them?"

"What does the email say?"

"It says to see Matt. He's learning these MOU's, too."

"True. If you two aren't comfortable after talking together, let me know and we'll work it out. That is a bit of a technical issue but the way to get experience is to do it. I think you'll both be surprised by how much you know and can do."

She looked at me a little startled. She then shrugged. "Okay. I like Matt. He's level headed and a person can work with him. Marjorie couldn't get him crazy. He'll do okay."

"I think so." I grinned fiendishly. "Remember those words when it's your turn."

Her face reflected her shock though she said nothing. "I thought you didn't like me."

I said, "I've always liked you. I didn't like the job you were given and am changing it. You have talent. It needs to be utilized better. I expect some interesting recommendations from Matt when I return. He knows this staff better than I."

I left early in the afternoon. Once on the road, I called Eve. I was shuffled to her voice mail and left a message that I was leaving Montgomery and would need instructions on where to meet her.

Twenty minutes later, Joan called me. "I pulled your message from Eve's phone. She's meeting with the producers. Come to the studio. Do you want the address or directions?"

"Let me pull over so I can put the address into my GPS safely." I pulled over with my hazards. She gave me the address and I keyed it in. It beeped to acknowledge the input and showed me continuing up I-65. I told Joan I was on the way and got off the phone.

About an hour and a half later, I pulled up at the studio and parked. I went inside and asked for Eve. I was told that she was in a meeting and didn't meet with people without an appointment. I knew the first was true but the second wasn't. I said, "That's okay. When she has a moment, tell her that her biggest fan was here but you sent me away. I'm Bill Anderson. Good afternoon." Before she could say anything, I went back out the door heading for my car.

She came flying out of the door crying out, "Mister Anderson, Mister Anderson! Don't go. I misspoke."

I looked her in the eye. "Not until I gave my name. Tell Eve I may return but it's not likely based on my welcome." I got in my car, cranked it, and left. The young woman was slowly walking back inside.

Joan called two minutes later. "Bill, you got her attention. She has been like that to everyone since she was hired. Now, she figures that she will be fired."

I said, "No but her boss needs to think about her instructions and how she follows them. Can you get me in without seeing her?"

"Of course. We'll use the back entrance that Eve and I usually use."

"I'm a block away. Where should I park?"

"Pull around. There are plenty of spaces in back. I am at the door and will hold it open for you."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.