The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 36

Jack Allen, the governor's press secretary, had informed the news media that a warning would be given. When we arrived, he said, "The animals aren't friendly today. I've already heard some push back because NOAA hasn't said anything. Expect to be questioned on that."

I nodded. "That's okay. Tracey will go over her report and prediction. I will then step up and take the heat."

Jack said, "You are Tracey?"

"Yes, I'm Tracey Morgan."

"Okay, Miss Morgan. The governor told me to listen to Bill. I will introduce him and watch the fireworks."

Tracey said, "I know what I'm talking about. It's just that I'm willing to make the call rather than risk people's lives waiting to be right but late."

Jack grinned. "You've been taking lessons from your boss."

"He's a pretty good guy to take lessons from."

Jack said, "Okay, let's go out and give 'em the news."

He went to the podium and said, "Governor Jemison has asked me to introduce Mister Bill Anderson, who is bringing us this update as Director of the Alabama Emergency Management Agency." He waved in my direction.

I came to the microphones and said, "I'm Bill Anderson. With me is Tracey Morgan, a member of the staff and a member of the American Meteorological Society. Tracey, go over your findings and prediction, please."

Tracey stepped forward and said, "Good afternoon. Like many people, we have been watching Hurricane Larry. I have determined that its course justifies warning the people of Alabama in a timely manner. Larry is coming. It will be a category three and may reach a four by the time it reaches our coast. Our latest projection is for Landfall very close to Mobile with a tidal surge that will result in extensive flooding. This storm hasn't the power of Horace but will be very dangerous. The timing of its landfall with high tide will increase the flooding. It is a fast moving storm with high winds. I expect it to spawn tornadoes in its wake. The AEMA recommends citizens take precautions with the expectation of high winds and flooding rain up into the central section of the state. Thank you."

I stepped forward as she stepped back. I said, "We are preparing for a severe storm and will be discussing evacuations with Gulf coast residents later today. I will now take questions."

Hands were raised. I chose a man from one of the southern stations. "You are making this warning even though the Hurricane Center has not put out a warning."

"That's true. Do you have a question?"

"What if you're wrong?"

"We aren't. Next question."

A young woman stood and asked, "Why hasn't the Hurricane Center issued a warning?"

"I don't know. I direct the AEMA. My duty is to the health and safety of the citizens of Alabama. I see a clear danger for those people. I have no other agenda. Getting a warning with enough time to do something is, in my mind, important."

An older man from a Montgomery station said, "Mister Anderson, if you are wrong, there will be calls for your resignation." I said nothing but just waited. He gulped and said, "Will you resign?"

I smiled grimly. "I serve at the pleasure of the governor. If he wants me gone, I'll go. If I'm right, are you prepared to resign for making such a suggestion?"

It got quiet after that. I bet that will get edited out. "Ladies and gentlemen, it is the duty of this agency to warn and assist the people of Alabama. I'm trying to do that."

Another man from another local station said, "It is my understanding that you have declined any salary as Director. Would you comment about that?"

"I have been involved in volunteering for over twenty years. I had a comfortable retirement from operating my business and then selling it. I am trying to help Governor Jemison with a troubled agency. I plan to leave and return to private life once the agency is stabilized."

The older man stood again. "There are reports that you are married to Eve Baylor. She has changed the name of her show. Are you married to her?"

"Yes." I waited but there no further questions. I said, "Thank you for listening and I look forward to you informing your listeners of the danger facing them." I walked away with Tracey and Jack.

Jack grinned. "You are of interest since you have married Eve. Her show is one of the most popular ones in Alabama. The warning will be broadcast but you admitting that you're her husband will be news also."

I shrugged. "She's a great lady and we're very happy."

Jack said, "She is and a lot of guys are envious of you. She's also gorgeous."

Tracey said, "I like her even though she's got Bill."

"Did you have a crush on him?"

"Only for moments. He threw me at Matt. I'm going to marry him soon. I want to."

I said, "That takes both of us off any availability list. On that note, we'll leave. There may be a few calls back at the office." I shook hands with Jack and we left for the EOC.

Once back, we found my prediction to be correct. The media decided there were two stories. One was the coming of Larry and the associated dangers of another hurricane. The other was the man who is Eve Baylor Anderson's husband. We watched two news shows on local television and both stories received prominent play.

I called Eve. "Hello, Honey. I was on television today. We're warning people about Hurricane Larry. I was also questioned about our marriage which I confirmed. Tracey made the announcement about the hurricane. During the questions afterward, I was asked about you and readily admitted to marrying you. It may be news up there for that part."

Eve laughed. "At least you admitted that we are married. I would hate to think we were still living in sin."

"Eve, I don't want to dwell on that."

"Bill, until our wedding night, that was the hottest, most satisfying sex I had ever had." She laughed some more. "You're such a stud!" I blushed. Tracey looked over and began laughing. Matt looked at her and she pointed at me.

I said, "Eve, I'm being harassed by the employees in the EOC."

"That's tough. You can handle it, Stud."

I said, "That makes me blush. I'm just a guy."

"Okay, Bill. I'll kid you later. Call me tonight."

Tracey was still giggling when I got off my phone. She said, "Well, Stud. Who makes personal appearances? We will both probably be asked."

I said, "If you're asked, you go. If I'm asked, I'll go. I suspect that both of us will be asked."

Matt said, "We're ring shopping this evening. I want you marked to the public."

Tracey said, "Matt, you're jealous of people who don't count by comparison. I love you. I want a ring though so we'll go. I may get one to go through your nose."

Matt chuckled. "You've said that before. I hope you're kidding. I would look funnier than I do now."

Before we left for the evening, both of us were going to be on morning television. I picked up something light for supper and went into the motel. After eating, I called Eve and we talked for a long while. We both were getting horny!

In the morning, I had a good breakfast and went into a television studio to be interviewed. The female news anchor said, "We have Bill Anderson with us this morning. Mister Anderson was at a news conference yesterday afternoon talking about Hurricane Larry. He is the Director of the Alabama EMA appointed by Governor Jemison.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.