The Hurricane of 2020
Chapter 34

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

We flew in a charter first to Montgomery where I picked up my car and drove around to the general aviation side and picked up Eve and the three grandchildren along with my suitcase and Eve's. I also loaded some of the kids' luggage, too. We all got in my car and started the trip to the farm after watching the small jet take off for Luverne.

The grand-kids were excited to be riding with us after the jet flight to Montgomery. Soon they fell asleep as the miles rolled under my tires. Eve and I were quiet just holding hands as I drove the big sedan with my free hand. She bent forward and turned on the radio raising the volume slowly. It was on 3.965 MHz. She listened to a conversation and then said, "Contact."

Over the speaker, Jerry said, "Go ahead contact. N4DRR."

"Good afternoon, This Eve, XYL of WR4L mobile and operating under his control quite happily."

"Hello, Eve. I'm Jerry, N4DRR I saw your show last Monday with the name change. I hope you are happy with Bill since you're riding with him."

"Hi, Jerry. N4DRR from WR4L mobile. We're on the way home for the weekend. We will have a reception tomorrow afternoon but, other than that, are looking forward to a quiet weekend. I'm very happy."

"That's good. Bill is a good friend to many and we on the radio all wish you two the best. Vic, what do you think?"

"N4DRR from K1VEE. I think it's great. Bill is a great guy and my wife watches Missus Eve's show all the time. My best wishes to you both. WR4L from K1VEE. God bless."

Eve said, "K1VEE from WR4L mobile. Thank you, Vic. We're close to the house so I will get off now. Talk to you guys later. WR4L mobile clear."

"N4DRR here. It was good to hear from you, Eve."

Vic said, "God bless, pretty lady. I hope to talk to you again soon. K1VEE."

We were pulling into the drive for the farm. We went by Sarah and Hop's home to see that work was progressing on it. I looked over and said, "That's the biggest problem in the area, temporary housing. Sarah and Hop are living with their son right now in Dothan. People who were displaced by Horace are spread around everywhere." We pulled into the barn and I noticed that Joan's car and a police car were both parked before the door. We woke the grand-kids and the five of us entered to a happy welcome.

I had plenty of help to unload the car. My granddaughters made a production of carrying Eve's suitcase into the master bedroom. We both blushed a little but gave them plenty of laxity to help celebrate Eve's presence, of which they obviously and firmly approved.

Todd and the rest brought supper. It was laid out when we arrived. After getting things settled in, we blessed it and ate. It was a merry meal with lots of laughter and joy. When we finished eating, we sat in the living room and talked some. Joan had a report on the progress on the building saying it would be ready early unless there was some unforeseen problem. Eve said, "The contract renewal talks are just starting and they may well be intense. Our old network wants us back but isn't willing to have us use the Luverne facility. It's early. They even threatened an automatic renewal until my lawyer reminded them that is not in the contract. They then suggested that they would fill the time slot with another show. I told them to go ahead. I closed my folder and stood to leave. That got their attention. I told them that I was leaving and felt they should carry through on their threat. There was some stammering. But I continued to stand, gathered my files, and left. My lawyer called me later yesterday saying that they wanted to get me back to negotiate. I said that I wasn't interested and looked forward to their filling the time slot with someone else while I retired for a time." She grinned at me. "They weren't happy." She looked at me. "You taught me that technique to illustrate that bluffing isn't a good idea.

"My lawyer told me that they then brought up the covenant not to compete. She reminded them that they waived it in writing before we started negotiating. We made that a condition to even talking."

Joan said, "Knowing that XYZ and Jones and Jones are both very interested in the show originating from Luverne isn't making life easier for them either."

I said, "What do you think is their objection to originating from Luverne?"

Eve said, "There are people and jobs in Nashville. Also, they have an investment in their studio and need shows originating from there to keep it going. The biggest problem they have is my shows in Birmingham and particularly Atlanta get better guests and audience numbers than Nashville. My show doesn't quite fit the mold for a Nashville show."

I said, "Why not go independent? With solid sponsors and a proven show, I would think the next thing to do would be to produce your own show, Eve."

She responded, "I've been thinking about that. The first step would be approaching the network. The largest costs are cameras and mixing boards. Even your studio would not own or have its own cameras. We are feeling challenged to bring cameras from Montgomery."

[Ed. note: I have no idea of the economics involved here. Just play along for the story.]

I said, "Perhaps I need to understand the cost items for producing television shows."

Eve said, "It helps to understand the economics of the business. Those items are almost sunk costs. The biggest issue is that digital studio cameras aren't quite old enough for a second generation."

"Eve, I know some guys. Get your tech people to send me an email with specifics and let me talk to a few people. I might be able to surprise you."

"Bill, it will be more than a surprise. It will be a shock. I will have them do that on Monday. Now, no more business. This is to be a weekend of pleasure with our relatives and friends."

Joan left with Todd. Officially, she was using his spare bedroom but I wasn't going to inquire. Finally, it was just my son and his family and Eve and me. We started heading for bed. It was late when I took my wife to bed. We closed the door and made love enthusiastically. At one point, she grabbed a pillow and put it over her face as she screamed her orgasm. We came down from that high and were cuddling. She whispered, "I'm looking forward to having no guests though I may scare the wildlife." She chuckled and I joined her. We fell asleep in each other's arms.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.