The Hurricane of 2020
Chapter 28

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

I woke early, had a light breakfast, and drove over to the center. I parked toward the back of the lot rear end first. I sat in the car watching people drive in and notice that all the reserved signs were gone. I sat for a half hour before leaving my car and going inside. I noticed that Matt had arrived at the same time as Tracey. They were talking as they entered the center. I followed along leisurely with my travel mug. I refilled it and went to my office and resumed my same chair. Tracey was waiting seated on the couch.

She had a dreamy look on her face. She said, "Bill, thank you. We talked for hours. I finally took him to my place and we talked even more. We fell asleep on my sofa. I found he has been interested in me, too." I smiled. "We are going to have to work around the agency's rules."

I said, "I figured there was more delaying you two than just a deadly atmosphere."

She said, "Miss Emerson looked at me very proprietorially. I didn't like it but there wasn't much I could do. I think she was disappointed that I didn't swing in her direction."

I said, "You don't have to worry about this Director. I have a son older than you, three grandchildren, and a jealous girl friend." She grinned. "I guess that's my next immediate subject to look at. Please tell Matt and the HR lady to come see me when they're available."

About five minutes later, Matt came in followed by the woman who had been introduced as the Assistant Director for Human Resources. Tracey went to the desk, powered up the computer, and started to work.

Matt said, "Good morning, Bill. I'm sure you remember but this is Joyce Raines."

"Good morning."

"Mister Anderson, we do have things to talk about. Two people have left the agency yesterday without all the paperwork being settled. The parking place assignment signs are down without any notice."

I held up my hand. "Miz Raines." She stopped. "First, get whatever paperwork is needful prepared and I will sign it. Both individuals resigned. I told them that they would be paid through their notice. Matt has their keys and identifications.

"Second, the signs were removed upon my instructions. They will stay down.

"Third, my name is Bill. Use it while you are here."

She almost looked like I struck her. "The flowers I planted around my sign are gone." She said it quietly almost wistfully.

I said, "That's unfortunate. Let me know how much they cost and I will reimburse you personally. Perhaps their replacements can be placed around the office where people can enjoy them."

She straightened. "That is not allowed under the rules nor is it permissible for someone to use another person's computer and office."

"That brings me to the reason why you two are here. I don't like unnecessary rules and regulations. I want to review all the rules and regulations for the center and the agency. There appear to have been too many. Those I have seen don't impress me. Finally, Tracey has my explicit permission to use that desk and computer since she didn't have one assigned before. Matt, I asked for a list of everyone working for the agency as an employee or contractor. I want their duties listed, too. The two of you are responsible for furnishing me that list as well as all the rules. If you don't like one, mark it through. I will be doing the same after you get them to me. If there are any left, we'll determine if they should be kept."

I figuratively took a breath. "What questions do you have?"

Miz Raines said, "Mister Anderson, do you want salaries with that information?"

I ignored her. "Since there are no further questions addressed to me, please get started."

She looked at me and said, "I asked you a question."

"You didn't address it to me so I figured whatever it might be was addressed to someone else and ignored it."

She grimaced, "'Bill, ' do you want salaries in the list?"

"No, Ma'am. I don't care what someone is paid. After determining who will and will not stay, I will address salaries and any inequities later."

"Thank you." She left.

After she went out the door, Matt and Tracey breathed a sign of relief. Matt said, "She tends to be formal."

I grinned. "I'm the big boss. We'll do it my way. Matt, go over whatever she puts together before she brings it to me. Let her bring it though. I don't want to be overly harsh but she had best get beyond her angst or she'll wind up on the list of those who won't be staying."

Matt said, "Have you reached any decisions yet on anyone?"

I said, "I will keep Jane Alexander." I paused and then said,"I'll keep you two if you'll stay." I grinned. "However, my former driver is going to be getting more to do until she screams for mercy."

He and Tracey chuckled. Tracey was behind me and I winked at Matt. "Does my former driver have any other possible redeeming characteristics other than needing more experience in severe weather prognostication?"

Matt said, "I have no intention of touching that question."

"Looking at your faces, it appears you are both guilty bystanders." I chuckled at their blushes. "Is there anything else I should know about before making people uncomfortable?"

Matt shook his head. I said, "Go, help Joyce stay out of trouble. With a little help and relaxation, she has hope. Also, I expect a list with prices for her flowers." I grinned and he grinned back.

Tracey came over and sat down. "Bill, you have a wicked sense of humor. How do I know when you're kidding?"

I grinned. "When you look down and realize your leg is missing and I'm waving it in the air by the ankle."

"Thanks. That helps a lot."

"Always glad to help."

She said, "Who is your next victim?"

"Please bring in one of the Assistant Directors for a district."

She started out and Kevin Carmichael, Assistant Director for the North East District was coming in. She waved him in and went back to the desk and computer.

He sat down and said, "I understand that Albert resigned."

"That's true."

"Do you plan on replacing all of us?"

"No."

"I would like to stay. I would like to talk to you about lowering the number of districts and making us more available to the counties we serve. I'm a native of Huntsville. I've been working with them for years and was county director before taking this job. In an emergency, we need to cover the affected area better but, the rest of the time, we could oversee a larger area. There are too many chiefs."

I smiled. "You just found something to do. Work with Matt. He is tasked with developing three district and four district plans. Help him out and we will talk about it some more. Get Beth Raintree to sit in with you, too."

He smiled, "Thank you, Bill." He left.

I said, "Tracey, there's only two more. See if they're in today. If so, ask them to join me. If they aren't here, get Carol Thomason."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.