The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 15

Rising in the morning was slow and languorous. We had slept well but were still enjoying the aftereffects of our loving. We did get moving and packed our cases. We would return to the condo for my car and load it then.

We took the limo to the studio and went inside to a peaceful and purposeful attitude from everyone. We were able to greet and talk with people as we filled our coffee cups and gathered food from the buffet table. As we were heading toward our table, I made a point of thanking our chef for her hard work and the good food that she had prepared. Eve echoed my thanks with her own. She was a little surprised but appreciated both of us speaking to her.

We sat down with our food and were soon joined by Joan and Nick. Nick said, "I heard that we have two celebrities here. I hope you both had fun."

Eve said, "Yes, it was enlightening and gratifying to see people who know Bill show him their respect and caring. For a while, I didn't think I would get noticed."

We chuckled. I said, "Trust me. Even if they didn't know who you were, they noticed you. You were the best looking woman in the hall."

Eve said, "That was just envy because I was with you."

"Ha!" I drank some coffee. Joan looked happy. She launched into her morning brief on current affairs and guests. Eve went into her dressing room and Joan stayed at the table. She said, "Bill, may I talk with you a moment?"

"Of course."

"Will you be honest with me?"

"Joan, I will but, if I were lying, I would say that, too."

She gave a little start as that statement registered. She grinned. "What are you and Eve planning?"

I said, "I guess you've figured out that we've acknowledged that we love each other?" She nodded. "We're trying to figure out how to put our lives together. I don't want her to give up her show or who she is. When she really thinks about it, she doesn't either.

"In some ways, last evening was a shock to her. I don't think she had ever been with someone who is known in a group setting. This was a meeting of EMA directors from the southeast. I have been involved in that work as a volunteer for over ten years. I have even spoken at some of their smaller gatherings.

"The first person we met was an old friend who had no idea who she was other than as a beautiful woman at my side. His wife came up and knew Eve but Marlene has known me for years. I think it was a different feeling. Even the man who invited Eve knew me and asked Eve to acknowledge me to the group which she did.

"After the show, we will leave for my place in Alabama. You'll be joining us for the weekend and a couple of days to look at the possibilities of a studio there. I have to admit, Joan, I won't give up my home. I love Eve but my life is there. Her life has been Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham, and other cities. We are trying to work out an acceptable compromise. We both want to do that. There is a lot to work out."

Joan smiled wistfully. "Just let me know what I can do to help. I will be honest. I wish I had been in that car and you had saved me. I want you. I will help the two of you any way I can though."

I said. "I appreciate that. The age difference between Eve and me is considerable but our ages are so different that it is a gap that could never be overcome. You are younger than my son. There are guys close to your age who are available who would appreciate you as I do Eve."

She said, "I'm packed to go. Nick likes to fly but I always drive from Nashville to Birmingham and then to Atlanta and then back home. Strange as it sounds, it's restful. Some times, I don't even listen to the radio. The quiet lets me think."

I nodded. We went to watch Eve's show from the sidelines. It was her usual great show with guests who seemed glad to be on the show with her.

After the show, she said her good byes to all and we went to the condo in the limo. Joan followed us and pulled into the parking garage using Eve's code. She met us at the elevator and we all went upstairs. It was chaste compared to my elevator rides lately. Once there, we grabbed our cases and went to my car. We loaded up and pulled out. I followed Eve's directions to a hallowed tradition in Atlanta.

We pulled into the parking lot of The Varsity. I had heard of The Varsity. It was a great experience. Eve plied me with a hamburger, a chili dog, onion rings, fries, and a frosted orange. We topped it all off with a peach pie. I think each of us gained four pounds and half of it was grease! However, it all tasted great and the service was something to behold. I particularly liked the sign that showed, "Have your order in mind and your money in hand and we'll get you to the game on time." The people were fast but still friendly.

We pulled out from under the parking area and I found a quiet spot to reattach my antennas. Once on the road, we headed south on the Interstate taking 85 by the airport. We had to get outside the perimeter by miles before the traffic slacked off. Eve and I talked as I drove. She said, "You screwed your antennas back on the car. Will we be talking on the radios, too?"

"Yes, Dear. It's a long ride and when you get tired of me, there will be plenty of people eager to talk to a woman on the radio. We will have to get you licensed at some point."

Her eyes got a little large. She said, "We really are serious, aren't we?"

"Eve, I love you is serious to me."

"It is to me, too. Bill, I'm just beginning to realize that we're talking about the rest of our lives and what that means in so many ways. I've been fixated on how wonderful you are to me. I hadn't gotten to seeing how wonderful I want to be to you but I'm working on it. There is so much about you that I find out and, every time, I get proud all over again. There's a lot going on with you."

She grinned happily. 'I'm looking forward to years of joyous exploration." We rode south with her hand on my thigh creating a warm, happy spot there I watched my rear-view mirror to keep Joan in sight the whole time. Joan was weaving her way through the traffic quite well and seemingly easily. Once we were below Newnan, I felt comfortable setting the cruise control and talking to Eve.

I said, "I figured you might be one of those 'phone in your ear' types."

She said, "I went through that a few years ago. As the show has become more popular, I found that I was talking less on the phone and was also more alone. I was fast becoming the bitchy broad that made you mad." She looked over at me and squeezed my thigh. "Bill, you saved me from what I was becoming. I didn't like that person but couldn't get away from her. With you, I have that strength and purpose. You bring focus to my living."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.