The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 10

As we entered the actual condo and sat on the couch, Eve sat close to me and said, "Bill, why do I have the feeling that you're okay with this but you're not happy with it?"

"Because it's true. Eve, it's nice to have a limo to ferry us around to different places. I'm also glad I could help this morning if that's what it turns out to be. However, that's not my idea of living. I made peace with how I wanted to live, the surroundings in which I would live, and the tempo at which I would operate. I did that many years ago. Just one day here has confirmed in my mind that that decision was right for me. I will stay the week but I can tell you now this will not work for me."

Eve's eyes were troubled. She said, "Where does that leave us?"

"Eve, it leaves us where we have been. I find you an totally attractive woman. You are smart and beautiful. You are a worthy person. I understand how hard you have worked to be successful and that is part of who you are. I think there are many someone's who would be happy to walk with you as an equal. You have a beautiful world but it's not one that can ever be home to me."

She said, "What do I have to do to have you?"

"Nothing, Eve. Neither of us should give up being who we are. Please accept that there are considerable differences in our lives. There is a chasm that may be just too big to cross. I know that's not what you want to hear. It's not what I want to say. However, that doesn't make my statement untrue. From what I saw today, being in Nashville would not be noticeably different from here. It's not the place, it's the situation."

Tears were flowing down her cheeks. "Bill, I have you with me for this week?" I nodded. "We can be together all next week, too?" I nodded. "That will have to be sufficient for my purpose."

She shook her self, figuratively and literally. "Bill, one thing about me is that I'm a determined woman. I am determined to capture your heart. I know you like me but I want more and I need to change some things about who I am for me to better like me. You started that process and I want to get in touch with the girl I was and recapture her values. I want you to stay with me to see all that through. I think there can be an 'us' because the person I want to be would love to be in the life I think you can offer. I want you to ride through this and give the possibility of our loving each other a real chance."

"Eve, giving us a real chance is not difficult. I have pledged to do that and will. I will be honest with you and ask you do the same. My current lifestyle avoids people like Beasley and Joe. I have found that I hadn't missed them. However, if you wish it, I will continue to deal with that situation this week."

"Bill, I do wish it. I'm glad you will. I have a number of things that I wish and I want those to come true, too. I will pray about those things as I have been." It was getting late and I yawned after a few minutes. I blushed some. Eve said, "It's late. Let's go to bed."

I nodded and helped her up. We went to our separate rooms and to bed and slept. At five, my alarm went off and I went into the kitchen to start coffee. When I returned to the kitchen showered, shaved, and dressed, Eve was there. This time she handed me a coffee mug with a kiss. We took the elevator down and were handed into the limo. This morning, the same trip took half an hour. We went inside the same door to the same quasi riot. For a moment, Eve just stood there and said nothing. Joan and Nick had held back from the crowd a bit. It quieted when the others realized that they were not getting a response.

Eve said in a calm voice. "Folks, this will not work and shall never happen again." She looked at me. "Bill, if I select us each a breakfast and a table with coffee, will you sort this out?" Her eyes were pleading and I nodded. All the eyes turned toward me. There was a distinct look of fear in most eyes.

I said, "This is the second day I have come in here with Eve to this crap. If it ever was acceptable, it is no longer. Other than Joan and Nick, who works for the show and comes from Nashville?" One woman raised her hand. "What's your name?"

"Melody. I need to talk to Eve immediately. It's vital, a matter of life or death."

"That's interesting, Melody. Who will die?"

"What do you mean, who will die?"

I gave her a grim smile. "You just said that your need to speak to Eve was a matter of life or death. My question remains, 'who will die?' I think that person should know so if you don't talk to Eve, they can die with their blood on our hands."

"It's just a phrase. It's vital I talk to Eve."

"We'll see. What is your job?"

"I'm in charge of sponsor relations. Some 'people' have done irreparable harm to the show which must be repaired right now."

"I don't think so. Wait. We'll talk in a minute." I looked at a young man who was carefully dressed. "What do you do?"

He said, "I am Brent and help Miss Eve choose her outfits for the show while she is in Atlanta."

"Very well. Pick three that should work well and lay them out in her dressing room. Go."

He said, "But I need to know her mood to choose the correct dress."

I said, "Her mood is that she is pissed off at you. She will wear a business styled dress or suit. If you don't have three for her to choose when she arrives in her dressing room, it will no longer be a problem for you because your services will be terminated."

I looked at him and said, "What part of that did you not understand?"

He mumbled, "None."

"Good. Now, go do your job and do it well." He left, a procession of one. I looked at the young woman standing next to the spot he vacated. "What do you do?"

"I do Miss Baylor's nails but don't know what color."

"Neither do I but, if you look in her dressing room, there will shortly be three outfits lying out for her to chose. Pick a color or colors to coordinate and be ready."

I looked at the next person, an older woman in a chef's coat. "What do you want?"

"I need to know if Miss Baylor has any preferences for tomorrow."

"That's doubtful. Prepare what you have been preparing. It has been great. If anything needs to change, she or I will tell you." There were still three people I didn't know still there. "Does anyone else not know to do their job without being told?" They left.

"Melody, Joan, Nick, get some food or whatever and join us. I will ask the questions."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.