The Hurricane of 2020
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

As soon as she and Charles went outside, they were mobbed. I moved out to listen.

A reporter said, "Eve, tell us about your day yesterday."

Eve nodded and, to me, seemed to brace herself. "It was a long day after my SUV crashed. Richard Chamberlain, my manager, was driving. He was killed instantly by a large tree branch. I was rescued by an amateur radio operator who was prepared to help people. I wound up going with him and performing nursing that I haven't done in years. It was a very rewarding though long day. My hat is off to all the emergency response people and particularly to the hams who used their personal radios, vehicles, and gas. They provided communications after all other means had failed and helped people in need. These brave people are truly what is best about America. They do it selflessly. They are truly professional. The name, amateur, only refers to the fact that they are not paid for what they do. They are cool under pressure and know what they are doing. They were exemplary. I was proud to be allowed to help. They didn't know who I was other than another volunteer who was helping. That was what was important. Any community should be thankful for and supportive of the amateur radio operators in their area."

A reporter said, "Miss Baylor, who did you ride with yesterday?"

She said, "I promised that I would not tell the name. I saw two people rescued from deadly situations other than me and now know who are the true heroes."

Another reporter tried to get my identity without success though had to hear more praise for radio volunteers. She said, "I was even allowed to transmit reports under this person's instructions. It's not hard but it's important to get it right. Lives are at stake."

She answered two other questions and then said, "Please interview the people who really did the work and those who led the effort. I was just one of the humblest workers. Thank you."

She ducked back inside and I followed after a few moments. I went back to the communications desk. She came up and I said, "Thank you for keeping your word."

She said, "It was truly my pleasure, Bill. Again, despite the situation and rough beginning, I enjoyed myself more than I can remember in a long time. Expect a call." She gave me a quick, light hug and left.

Charles came up and said, "She's a remarkable woman. She likes you, Bill."

"I like the real her, too, Charles." I smiled slightly. "Seriously, what else needs to be done?"

"We have refugees at the high school gym. The Red Cross is on the way there. We should have cell phones back later today. We have put the main comm tower back up and are patching the cables. Power crews are working hard to get power back all over. Our losses were isolated and were primarily large transmission lines"

I nodded. "Mine came on this morning during breakfast."

Charles said, "Did she stay at your place last night?"

I grimaced. "Yes. Jan and I have a spare bedroom for my son when he's here with his family."

"Bill, you're a widower now."

"Not in my heart, Charles."

By lunch, most of it was over and Charles released the hams. The newsies were slacking off and Eve had left. I left through the back door to head home. Outside was a reporter. She said, "I heard that Eve Baylor worked with a ham all of yesterday. The call was WR4L. That's on your tag, isn't it."

"I heard that there was a celebrity working with the emergency people outside. I was involved in keeping the radios working here in the center. Was it Eve Baylor?"

The reporter said, "I guess my information was not accurate."

I said, "That happens. My call was heard frequently. I've seen her TV show. She seems to be a nice lady."

I got in my truck and drove toward my home with a sigh of relief. I think I dodged that bullet.

A couple of weeks went by and I watched TV a bit more than usual. I admitted to myself that I watched Eve's show and got to know her public persona through it. I liked her riding in my pickup better but that's the breaks. She did talk about ham radio and the wonderful emergency people she had worked with.

I didn't know how to contact her and my life had quickly returned to its routine of radio and church while I kept the house going and in good shape. People could tell I was functioning. All that was true but there was still a hole in my life that simply took up space and emotions.

It had been two weeks since the hurricane when I received a call on my cellphone from a number that I didn't recognize. I answered it saying, "Hello, this is Bill."

A beautiful voice came over the phone like a warm breeze in winter, "Hello, Bill. This is Eve. Do you have time to talk?"

"Eve, I'm retired. I have lots of time. It's good to hear from you."

She laughed and said, "I haven't called for two, well three, reasons. First, I have been busy with the show. Second, I wanted to let the furor die down from that time. Third, I needed to decide what or how I felt about our time together. I'm still confused about that though I would like more of that time."

I said, "I still have the pickup with a vacant seat."

She had a throaty laugh. I heard it again. "I really like old pickups with radios now. Bill, I have a week off in two weeks. I would like to see you. You can come here or I will go there or we could meet at a neutral spot."

I chuckled. "Do we need a neutral spot?"

"I don't know. I don't feel very neutral. Bill, the show is based in Nashville but it's broadcast from a number of cities during the year. I will be in Birmingham next week and then Atlanta. Those would be neutral spots sort of."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.