Shakespeare
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2015 by Harry Carton

Shakespeare here, again. Thanks to Ivan for completing that section of the narrative. It was more complete, coming from a direct participant.

I needed only a few hours of sleep aboard theSornach, and I awoke to find Shenthra sitting on her haunches, holding a pad-computer and – when I scanned her mind – apparently watching a video of a pair of kittens 'attacking' a small vegetable on a glossy, slippery floor. I sent her a mental tap on her shoulder.

Shenthra:'DADDY! You're awake! I came on the first ship out. Where's Kray? Mercahn is here too. The council felt that we couldn't send so many ninGrahhlls out into space without proper supervision. None of the Matriarchs wanted to leave their clans, so they sent Mercahn. She's been sleeping in one of the Queen's rooms.'

Me:'It's all right, Shenthra. You can't cover for her anyway. So she's been sleeping with Hoth. I know she's old enough to decide for herself. What's he like? Hoth, I mean.'

Shenthra:'Oh, dad. He's real nice. He has a small kink in his tail where it got caught in the crook of a tree when he jumped out of it ... that was when he was small. That's all that's bad about him, I guess. But, dad ... he's OLD. He's 24, and Mercahn is only 19. Don't you think that's too old for her? I mean. 24, dad!'

Me:'Calm down, little one. He's not too old, if Mercahn likes him. Your mother was much older than I was. She wasn't too old, I think ... was she? Let me call Mercahn.' I reached out and found her chatting with Robertson sulHawthorne, about the controls of the ship.

Mercahn:'Hello sulGrahhll. We're all glad you're on board and safe.'

Me:'SulGrahhll am I? Did you forget who your father is?'

Mercahn:'No, dad, I didn't forget. But I'm trying to run everything here on the ship, and I'm keeping everything more formal, like.'

Me:'"Like?" I think you've been talking with Robbie too much. You've picked up some of his speech mannerisms. That doesn't matter much. As for "running everything" – you don't need to do that. NinGandalf, Robbie and Hoth seem to have done a pretty good job. That's not to say that you have no place in the decision making. You do. After all, the Council put you in charge. But you have to trust your subordinates.

'You don't have to do everything. And trying to do everything will mean it's a one-cat show. What happens if there are three things to do at the same time? This isn't Yerowl, with a slow, leisurely pace. Things happen fast in space.'

Mercahn:'Uhh ... Okay, dad ... I mean, I understand what you say ... I guess that our Gnorr, ninGaldalf, does check with me, but I've always done what he suggested. And the Gannel does pretty much the same thing. And he didn't have the time to check with me in the confusion of combat against the Bugs.' I sensed her embarrassment.

Me:'Mercahn, have you settled on Hoth? It's more than just physical feelings, you know. Do you trust him? I mean ... if you fell in the swamp, would you trust him to do the right thing?'

Mercahn:'Dad ... I love him. Of course I trust him.'

Me:'When did this start? You and him?'

Mercahn:'Back on Yerowl ... some months back, I guess.'

Me:'Who was picked to come on this mission first ... you or him?'

Mercahn:'I don't know. They all met. The Council, I mean. Then they just said who was going.'

Me:'Good. Please ask Hoth to contact me ... when he's got things under control with the Bugs, I mean.'

Mercahn:'Daddy! You can't... '

Me:'Don't worry, 'Cahn. You're still my first born. I'm just going to growl at him a little. (laugh)'

...

Me:'ninGandalf, do you have a moment?'

Sh'antor:'I've taken the name Sh'antor. In honor of a certain sulGrahhll. And to answer your question, yes I have a moment. How can I help?'

Me:'Sh'antor ... I'm honored. Can you contact one of the human ships and get a shuttle for us to use? I want to get the whole crew together with my daughters, and search hard for Merlin. I'll bet the humans think the search is over.'

Sh'antor:'Is it okay to make the request in your name?'

Me:'Of course.'

...

Sh'antor: "This is theSornach, calling theGelmond. You are the closest USN ship, so we are asking you. The sulGrahhll has asked if he can borrow your shuttle to unite his crew and return to USN controlled territory."

Nin: "This is Lieutenant Commander Josiah Nin of theGelmond. Request granted. We have his son, the ninsulGrahhll, and will assign him to shuttle Gel-2. Nin, out."

...

Me:'Okay. That's Kray. Find out where Jay is.'

Sh'antor:'I already know that. She's on the Dauntless. I believe she has a shoulder injury.'

Me:'Contact the Dauntless. See if she can spare us a transport to meet us. I want to have two searchers for Merlin, if he's still alive. But don't tell the Dauntless that.'

Sh'antor:'You think he may be alive?'

Me:'Your kind is pretty hardy, if he survived the collision.'

...

Sh'antor:'Okay. They've put Jay on a shuttle headed our way ... Oh, and Kray's shuttle is here.'

Me:'Mercahn, Shenthra. Do you want to come with me and meet up with Kray, or stay here on the ship and meet up sometime later. Could be a couple of weeks.'

Shenthra:'I'll go with you, dad.'

Mercahn:'I think my responsibilities here will require my continued presence, dad. You know I'd love to see Kray again, but... '

Shenthra:'But Hoth is here, right?'

Me:'Stop that, Shenthra. Mercahn, I understand, both your official and personal reasons for staying. We'll see you on Arnis soon.'

Mercahn:'Thanks, dad. And thanks for the advice, before.'

Sh'antor:'We created a special port to dock with the shuttle. It's not real stable, but it should work. Maybe you should wear your skinsuits.'

I showed Shenthra how to put on her skinsuit and we went to the temporary docking station. After transiting to the shuttle, I contacted the version of Oscar that was on the shuttle.

Me:'Oscar, please contact the Dauntless's shuttle and ask about Jay's condition.'

Shuttle-Oscar: "Ivan, can you confirm Jay's condition."

Jay: "I can handle that. Tell Shakespeare that I'm able to handle a ship. My shoulder is dislocated and I'm on some meds for pain, but I'm here."

Me:'Oscar, ask Ivan to listen on the private frequency for Merlin's distress call. Jay will know what course is best from the Meriah I's last position. We'll meet them on whatever course she chooses.'

...

The next 40 minutes consisted of Shanthra quizzing Krayshall on anything and everything that he did on the cruise of Meriah I, and Krayshall torturing her with simple and incomplete answers. Shanthra persisted, however, and she got her answers eventually. It was good to see the siblings acting like children again.

We were in range of Ivan and Jay on the Dauntless's shuttle, when Kray interrupted us all.

Kray:'I've got him, dad. I've picked him up. It's faint, like his batteries are running low, but it's clear. I'll rebroadcast it. It's him all right. "Kill the wabbit ... Kill the wabbit ... Kill the wabbit ... Kill the wabbit..."'

Shuttle-Ivan:'Send to Merlin. Tell him to conserve his battery. He should send briefly every five minutes or so.'

Shuttle-Oscar:'That'll be enough to triangulate his position.'

Kray:'Okay. Resending now.'

...

Merlin:'I am relieved. I have plenty of battery. Was conserving since we lost contact, sending only at low power. By the way: Hello, guys! Glad to see you found me.'

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.