Shakespeare
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2015 by Harry Carton

By the Great Grahhll, there was a lot to do in not-enough-days to do it.

Jay wanted us to leave for Arnis ASAP. I discovered that ASAP meant "as soon as possible" in human shorthand. We needed to make SMs and skinsuits for me and Krayshall as the first steps. I also learned about Blodgett's Maxim. It almost had the same universal application as Murphy's Law, which I also learned about. Blodgett's Maxim stated that "Whatever you wanted to do, you had to do something else first."

So, before we could make skinsuits, we needed special resources. Before we could get specialized resources, we needed to move to where they were located – and excavate there. We found that we had a good sized platoon of ninGrahhlls that were unattached and willing to help us. One of them, it turned out, could easily identify particular metals in the ground once Merlin or Gandalf explained that each metal would vibrate at a particular frequency. In fact, our metal-finder was better at it that the ACs were, surprising everyone.

Gandalf presented us with an interesting fact, one day. He determined that at the rate we were finding metals, two replicators could be supplied adequately by the raw materials and, of course, would produce the required products faster. So the increase in our manufacturing capacity would more than make up for the time it would take to make a second replicator in only 17 hours. Jay said to make the second replicator.

We – meaning the entire team – ran the replicator night and day. Immediately on its completion, that second unit began making SMs and then turned its attention to making a third replicator. The third unit began making a small computer – I was later informed – it looked like a hand held screen that operated on sound waves. Robbie had to come back – via the Meriah I – to Yerowl to review the plans. As soon as it was finished, Merlin was prepared to download himself into the pad-computer, but we left on our journey before everything was complete; so Gandalf did the download and Voila! – ninGandalf was born.

Thereafter, ninGandalf accompanied Robbie out to the Bug armada site for the rest of the time he was on Yerowl. Robbie had managed to slave the three support ships to the main battleship and all of them were now headed for Yerowl orbit and scheduled to be there in just under four six-days at sub-light speed.

Kray and I made our memories of the battles at the Bug armada available to the Grahhll and he felt our feelings at the extent of the killing that had to be done. For a change, it wasn't me that was struck silent. He later sang "The Battle of Two Cats" for the entire planet, and we were embarrassed at the adulation that was mirrored back to us for "saving Yerowl."

The skinsuits for Krayshall and me were fitted to our bodies and were tested in space using Merlin and the Meriah I. The attachment of the waste tubes were cold and uncomfortable on some very delicate parts of our bodies, but in the immortal words of Lieutenant Commander Stefan Yetrovich, the famous explorer of the 24th century E.R. (that's Earth Reckoning, if you forgot), "space travel requires some sacrifice." Those attachments were a sacrifice indeed. I don't know how Jay could tolerate them.

Shenthra, my middle offspring, wanted to go with us – an opinion she made increasingly clear during the six-days that preceded our departure. Only the fact that there was no skinsuit for her prevented her from insisting. She – at eleven years of age now – insisted that Kray and I needed a female to "guide" us in our upcoming struggles. I promised her that she could come with the next ship that was leaving for Arnis. I knew that she violently needed to be close to me – or Jay – and we were both leaving for a long time, but it couldn't be helped.

In my heart, I hoped that she would not arrive in Arnis until the Bug menace was gone – or we were, a more likely result – for I was fairly sure that our little "Light Brigade" would indeed be on a suicide mission. Two 'pumas, one human and an abiological in an unarmed pinnace against 40-some billion Bugs in a vast armada?

When we had all the SMs we could cram into the pinnace, and the skinsuits for Kray and me were ready, Jay called for an immediate departure.

The entire Greater Council were there to see the sendoff of the sulNassMerth and the sulGrahhll and Krayshall. As we prepared to depart, Merhnah came forward and presented Jay, Gabby, Robbie, Kray and me with small medallions of honor for defeating the Bugs in "The Battle of Two Cats." Each was in the shape of a paw print and cast in platinum. I guess we had the replicator crews to thank for that. Who knew that an abiological citizen and his crew of hexapumas could keep a secret? In addition to their official YSF titles, their actual names were to be changed: Jay sulNelson, Gabriella sulSturman, Robertson sulHawthorne. Kray was given the title of ninsulGrahhll, and I could see the pride in his eyes. His sister, Shenthra, was brushing tears away from her whiskers. I was made an honorary member of the Council of Matriarchs, now to be called only "the Council" – I could not believe that. The first male in all of Yerowlish history to be considered worthy of the Council.

Nor were the ACs left out. Merhnah said that the Council thought and thought to come up with a suitable award. It was Dr. Reston who finally realized what they would be most pleased with. A small metal plaque was presented to Gandalf and Merlin, to be affixed to the ship that each captained. It was the paw print and said: "Citizen Gandalf (or Citizen Merlin) from a grateful Yerowl." It was the turn of the ACs to be without words.

There was a brief time of hugging and good-bye-ing and such, and then the three of us took our positions in the Meriah I and took off for Arnis. As Yerowl shrank to a tiny spec in the black sky of space, I wondered if we'd ever see it again.


We translated up through seven dimensions over as many days, and then down through seven dimensions in about one-and-a-half times as long. Apparently, down-phasing took a little longer than up-phasing. Each translation up and down caused me and Kray to vomit. Fortunately for the inside of the pinnace, provisions had been made to deal with this. Unfortunately we were not really ready to eat any of the SMs we had packed into the pinnace's compartment, and went without food for many days.

Jay: 'You can never tell how someone is going to handle translations. You may get used to it, you know.'

Kray: 'Don't say that! Who would want to get used to throwing up?'

Jay: 'Welcome to space, ninsulGrahhll. Welcome to space. (chuckle)'

We came to rest in Sin-Ki 13 space, a long way from Arnis. Jay ordered us to stop here and await contact, although Merlin had already stopped the ship. In about an hour, we received a message:

"Attention unrecognized ship. You are broadcasting the name Meriah I of Yerowl. This is an unrecognized call sign. Please identify yourself and state your business."

Merlin said he had prepared a response, subject to Jay's approval. She smiled when she heard:

"This is the unarmed pinnace Meriah I. We are carrying the sulNassMerth, the sulGrahhll, and the ninsulGrahhll of Yerowl. We have two purposes in coming here. One is diplomatic, and we seek to meet with officials of the United Planets. The second is that we bear news of a large Bug invasion fleet coming to this system. An immediate meeting with command authority of the USN would be desirable. Meriah I out."

Jay: 'Yeah. That should get their attention. Begin plotting a course to a place about 200,000 kilometers from Arnis.'

Merlin: 'Any special place that's "200,000 clicks" from Arnis? That's a rather large target.'

Jay: 'Just get us moving with a small black hole. Avoid the sun. Keep it under .25 light.'

We had another message coming in.

"Meriah I. Come to the coordinates specified in the accompanying technical message. Your pinnace appears to be identical in configuration to a pinnace assigned to Commander Justice Nelson. Accordingly, you are ordered to change your call sign to conform to USN protocols. Captain Rockport, Acting commander, Arnis Defense Fleet"

Jay: 'Okay, folks. Merlin, come up to .5 light speed ... Here we go. Send the following.'

"Captain Rockport. When Admiral/Ambassador Morris withdrew from Yerowl, in the face of the enemy, she abandoned four USN personnel, two ships and ancillary equipment behind. She left and notified Yerowl that she was leaving because of the expected Bug invasion. Under USN Code 822.3, this is "Abandonment in the Face of the Enemy" and accordingly the personnel were considered not to be in the USN any more, and the ships and equipment are ceded to the nearest planetary authority – Yerowl.

"If you have any questions regarding USN Code 822.3, I suggest you contact the appropriate legal authority.

"We have since been become citizens of Yerowl.

"Captain, with all due respect, I must insist on speaking with USN Command Authority to discuss how we defeated the Bug invasion and captured the Bug fleet. Furthermore, the size of the Bug invasion fleet that is coming to this system is unbelievably large. You will be overwhelmed. We are progressing into Sin-Ki 13 space in order to facilitate further communication.

"(Signed) Jay sulNelson, sulNassMerth – (Higher Space Lord of Yerowl)"

There was silence as we moved toward Arnis. The silence lasted 23 minutes.

"Commander Nelson. You are hereby ordered to surrender your craft to the USS Silex, which is moving to intercept you. Admiral Reoux, CIC Arnis Defense Force, out."

Jay turned in her seat and checked that Krayshall and I were ready to perform the "hostile reception" maneuver that we'd discussed. We were ready. Jay sent a message to Arnis; she sent it in plain text, ensuring that it would be picked up by the Arnis media.

"To United Planets Security Council:

"As the legally constituted representatives of the sovereign government of Yerowl, we are approaching Arnis with a joint diplomatic and military mission. We are attempting to meet with USN Command Authority to discuss the incoming major Bug invasion fleet.

"We have met with hostility and threats from the USN. If they persist in sending a warship to attempt to take over our unarmed pinnace, they will not receive the benefit of our knowledge in how to defeat the major invasion fleet. Please tell Admiral Reoux to modify his/her plans.

"(Signed) Sh'angreth, sulGrahhll, Presiding Officer of the Yerowl Greater Council"

An answer came immediately from Admiral Reoux, allowing for transmission delays.

"Commander Nelson. You are ordered to surrender your craft to the USS Silex. You are further instructed not to attempt to contact planetary authority. Further, you are instructed to direct the AI onboard your pinnace to follow legally authorized USN instructions. Admiral Reoux"

Shortly thereafter we received a hail from the Silex.

"To the pinnace broadcasting as Meriah I. You are ordered to come to a complete halt. You are further advised that your ship has been targeted. Prepare to be taken under tow. Silex out."

We activated the "hostile reaction" plan. It was simple. We just stunned the entire crew of the Silex. Naturally, we did not kill them – we still wanted to be on their side, after all – or wanted them to be on our side. We simply froze them in place, but left them conscious. We sent the following in plain text to the Silex, Admiral Reoux and the planet's civilian authority:

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.