Accidental Crossroads
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2015 by Old Man with a Pen

Accidental Crossroads: 11.

John never said a word about the jeep. He did his best to find the right oil and solvent for the watch. The phone company had to put in 5 poles to run a line..."make that two lines," said John, to the rep when he called from the General Store.

A step back here. John was calling his housekeeper by the only name that fit..."Sultry," So ... finally he asked.

"What is your name?"

She burst out laughing.

"What's so funny?"

"You have no idea how many times I've heard that of a Saturday morning after a Friday night all-nighter.

"I thought you knew. You've been calling me by it ever since I started working for you."

"Sultry?"

She nodded.

"Sultry Shingle?" She nodded, "The secretary at the office called you Jessica."

"That's what the town calls me," she said. "I never bothered to correct them."

"I like Sultry."

"It means passionate, attractive, sensual, sexy, voluptuous, erotic and seductive."

"You are that."

"Momma heard it describing a movie star. Some guy was sitting a couple of cars away at the Drive-In. This actress was on the screen. He shouted, 'now that's a sultry wench.' The guy she was with popped his rocks at the same time. Momma remembered the word when the doctor asked her what name to put on my birth certificate."

"What did your father say?"

"Who?"

"Your father."

"Don't know. I never met him."

"What's your middle name?"

"What for?"

"Your paycheck."

"I'm getting paid?"

"You're working, aren't you?"

"Well, yeah. Best job ever ... and it's not on my back." She grinned, "Wench."

"What?"

"Sultry Wench Shingle ... that's my whole name." She said, "Momma was an Abbot but she figured it had to be a Shingle that knocked her up."

"Abbot? There's no Abbots hereabouts."

"Momma was hitchhiking through. She stayed."

"I don't remember you in school."

"John, I'm 18 ... you're 26 ... eight years."

"Oh yeah." John scratched his head. You would have been ten when I graduated from school?"

"Thereabouts,"

"Would have been a big deal back then ... not so much now."

"Big deal?" it was her turn to scratch her head. "Oh, ten and eighteen."

"Folks would have frowned on that."

Back to the present:

A new green standard CJ5 putted into the yard and around the drive. It was followed by a roar and a leap as a a camouflage painted jeep powered up the rise and onto the yard ... missed the driveway entire.

"Sultry, your car is here."

"What?"

"Your car is here."

"You bought me a car?" She ran down the stairs and started petting the green 4 cylinder. "For me?"

He didn't have the heart ... she had a new putt-arounder and he had a fire breathing monster. It had huge Mudder tires and the body was very tall off the ground ... There was nothing cute about it ... this was a go anywhere, climb anything, serious off road vehicle. The Jeep dealer and his cohorts unloaded the fishing gear ... stuck it all in the back of a third jeep, this one a pickup, and grinned.

"Lost your new jeep I see," Jeep man said. He started passing paperwork and license plates and all manner of official documents. "Sign here, initial here, here, and here. The green one is hers?"

John sighed and nodded.

Jeep man presented the same paperwork to Sultry. She signed there, initialed there, there, and there.

They left.

"Hey!" shouted John.

Too late.

There was a complete set of stock wheels and tires in the back of the monster.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.