Accidental Crossroads - Cover

Accidental Crossroads

Copyright© 2015 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 5

The argument all boiled down to who was responsible. The Voice blamed the committee ... the committee blamed the laxity of the inventors.

"This machinery is centuries old and nothing lasts for ever," said the Caretakers.

"The problem wasn't supposed to take this long to fix," said the Voice.

"Well ... we do the best we can with who we get ... the basic change will have to come from Earth or Cassandra is dead," Elizabeth said. "This beginning of the end started with Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra ... and firearms."

"Firearms I can see," said the voice, "But Cervantes?"

"The end of Chivalry. Honor began to lose ground over Situation Ethics."

The voice audibly shook his head.

"How about you work a deal with the men of Chaos," suggested (Unpronounceable 2)... [(Unpronounceable 1)] no longer being present.

"Absolutely not!" cried the Voice.

"Then, how about we keep a stable of studs here and send earth women to do the dirty-work?" Suggested Elizabeth ... Elizabeth was the elected voice of the Cassandra Universal National Team.

"Can't do that either," said the Voice.

"Why not?" said Elizabeth.

"It would promote Lesbianism," gagged the Voice.

"That's the most used method of sexual preference of Cassandrian women, anyway. They seek to provide children to continue the race. It's the only reason they volunteer to be damsels."

"Oh GODs" said the Voice, "How did we come to this?"

"You all but sterilized our men ... it's your fault ... fix it!"

"Isn't this Flintkote fellow out of the chamber yet?" asked the Voice.

"Another week to go," said the Unit.

"It's been 14 days," said the Voice.

"You do what you gotta do," said the Unit. "I'll be frank ... it's looking good."

"Well, Frank. Keep up the good work," said the Voice.

"Who is Frank?" asked Elizabeth.

"The restoration unit," said the Voice.

"I am not!" said the Unit.

"But you said..." explained the Voice.

"You're an idiot," said the Unit. "My name is Samuel ... you can call me Sam."

The Voice went home ... nothing was happening ... the few Caretakers who had Heroes spent their days running, weight lifting, designing sexy lingerie, cooking school, thumb-twiddling and mourning with their sisters in waiting for the one that didn't make it home.

Recruiting damsels was no problem. Rather than admit the odds of being rescued and getting pregnant were three out of ten, the school classes extolling the virtues of bettering Cassandrian society were full steam ahead. The summer hologram programs were full of reruns of successful rescues, the toddlers were paraded throughout the streets and the children viewing areas at the city parks were crammed with potential recruits.

A rash of unsuccessful kidnappings were completely foiled due to the implanted tracking devices.

A rescued Damsels organization, Success, a subset of Cassandra Universal National Team, began lobbying for adoption.

"Adopt those poor orphans of Chaos. The unwashed and downtrodden of that backwards planet. With a proper upbringing those wretched many of Chaos, can and will be virile mates for our sons and daughters."

The campaign was beginning to draw many of the not so lovely and have no chance of Damsel-hood females who, admittedly were sadly outnumbered by their shapely and voluptuous sisters ... but the ugly need love too.

Into this mess strode our Hero, John Flintkote. The Restoration Unit had performed miracles. Not that the basics weren't there ... silk purses out of swine was as difficult for the Chamber as turning back the tide was for Canute.

Sam, the Restoration Chamber, had a great deal to work with; John Flintkote was a throwback. Sure he was tall, and had a decent physique when he was drafted and certainly the Army had put the mountain man to the test, bringing out the best in him.

He had matured in the Army. The supply sergeants had to find him larger and longer uniforms. The food ... while others reviled it ... John had never eaten so good in his life ... put the pounds on and the combat course and Army calisthenics made muscle out of those pounds.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.