The Legal Profession
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2015 by Peter H. Salus

In the morning I packed my bag, putting my laptop and Hunt's Memoirs inside, had breakfast, and paid my bill, saying that I'd move my vehicle after lunch. I then waited for Ted to show up.

Tom looked tired when we arrived.

"I've been up late, on the sat phone. To my surprise, nearly everyone agrees with you about Abbott's reaction. The UN is on the back burner."

"Glad to hear that. OK, I need to know your 'demands.' I know we're not considering a Palestinian 'right of return, ' but what do I report?"

"That's not hard. Traditionally, most of Sturt, except the east, Mt. Wood and the Gorge, and a few hectares on the southern edge, Great Horse Gully and the Sisters."

"How many will relocate?"

"I'm not certain. More than 50 and under 500."

I made a note, laughing. "Five hundred would be half the population of the northwest." He nodded. "Would you permit camping at Fort Grey and at Olive Downs?"

"Yes. But we will continue to ban fires. And we will encourage maintenance of the Rabbit Fence to the west and, to the north, the Dog Fence. But the park fee may be a problem."

"I'll note that. The rest seems reasonable. I will fly back to Sydney in the morning. I will write a brief and submit it next Monday. As of now, I have not been sworn to secrecy. How can I ensure delivery of a copy?"

Tom looked at Ted. "Will you serve as a postbox?"

"Certainly. And I'll bring it to you."

We all shook hands. Ted and I drove off.

"What do you think will happen?"

"How would I know? I'm in my second week with the State. I've been a member of the bar for under three months. And I really don't hold politicos in high regard."

"Yeah. But..."

"Look. On Monday I'll hand in my report. It'll be a summary of my notes, of what Tom said, of the parts of the 1975 Act that Tom cited, and a few other things. Then my boss will read it. He'll probably ask me some questions. He'll then pass my report on to the Minister with a covering letter of his own. You tell me what's next. Will it stay in the State? Will it go to the Lieutenant Governor? Will it go to Canberra? It's December. Will anything happen this year? Will my report be remembered after the hols ... in the New Year? I have no answers."

"I understand."

"And I'm on a six month contract. I may be looking for a job in April or May."

"Really? They might just turf you out?"

"In the blink of an eye, I'd bet. I'm the new kid in school. They've no obligation nor loyalty."

"Well, here we are. Can I buy you lunch before you go?"

"Sure."

At lunch our talk turned to safety. Ted told me to check fuel and coolant before setting out and advised me to get two bottles of water. "Never travel without water. It's hot. It could hit 40 [104F] easy in the afternoon. It went over 44 in December '05."

"I've never experienced that."

"I have and expect to repeat it. But it ain't fun. But the important thing is to be prepared."

"Yes. And thanks. You'll hear from me."

"Good luck, Patrick. Travel safe."

I followed Ted's advice and got fuel and bottled water. Then I drove back to Broken Hill, the summer sun pouring through the right windows. After the road to White Cliffs and Wilcannia I caught up with some dump trucks and slowed down a bit to keep out of their red dust. When I passed the sign for the UNSW Fowlers Gap Research Station and knew it was only a bit over an hour more, I pulled onto the berm and drank some water.

Broken Hill was far bigger than Tibooburra, over 10,000 folks, but I found the Palace Hotel on Argent Street with ease. I parked and went in to register. I noted a sign that said the office was open from 9:00.

"I need to get out on the 6:30 flight, will I have a problem?"

"You'll need to drop off your car?"

"Yes."

"Easiest thing is to take it in now, catch a cab back here and take the airport bus at six tomorrow."

"Right. Can you book me for the bus?"

"No need. But I'll write you down anyway. You won't be able to get a real brekker, though."

"I'll survive."

I took my bag and bottle of water to my room, went back downstairs, got instructions on getting to the airport, and did my thing. No problem returning the vehicle. I got a receipt and asked the clerk about getting to The Palace.

"In a hurry?"

"Not really."

"I'm off in 15 minutes. I'll run you back for a fiver."

"You've a deal."

I looked at the wall map while waiting. It was strange that I was nearer to both Adelaide and Melbourne than to Sydney. 1100 klicks.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Let's go."

It was a small Holden. "I thought they'd stopped making these."

"Nah. This is the Barina Spark. GM said they were going to stop manufacture here, but a year ago they changed their corporate mind. I wouldn't take this far, but it's fine in town. It's only 300 klicks to Adelaide and that's good road. Here you are!"

"Thanks. And here you are." I got out and he drove off.

I took a shower and shook the dust out of my clothes. I still had a clean shirt, so I decided to wear it for dinner and then again tomorrow – I was sure that it would be off before noon. I was at the dining room, looking at the murals, by about 1800.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.