Protection and Preservation, Book 10 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 10

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 8

We invited them and anyone who was willing to join us for supper. Our people were now moving into the terminal for at least the night though I spread the word that we might well stay a couple of days or more.

David and I put up forty and twenty meter antennas. It didn't take long. We connected up the radio and power supply and flipped switches. We pulled up our twenty meter frequency and called. "CQ, CQ, CQ, this is the Pacific air expedition. It's Bobbi calling CQ and standing by."

Faintly over the radio came, "Bobbi, this is your dad. It's early in the morning here, really still night. Is everything okay? Over."

"Yes, dad. We're fine. We have landed in Perth, Australia, and met people. It looks promising. The distances are considerable here. We plan to leave a radio here when we leave. It's cool here since it's winter."

"That's interesting. We're having a heat wave. Are you going to stay on the air? If so, I will wake your mothers as well as David's grandmother."

"Someone will be here or close. I will give you an hour to call me back. Bobbi clear for now."

Matilda was listening. She said, "You were talking to your father in America?"

"Yes, my folks live in Tennessee."

"Did he say, 'mothers?'"

"Yes, initially, many families were multi-partnered. In some communities, there was a shortage of men. In others, there was a shortage of women. There are few multi-partner marriages occurring now but most all of the original ones endured. My three surviving parents were six but three were killed defending our communities from people who would take us over. I am proud of my folks and they are highly extolled at home."

"Bobbi, that's different. We had a 'triple' join us a few years ago but the two women were always arguing. Finally, one woman left. The couple is still around and are good people."

"It's different to have multiple parents. Most of my life, I had two fathers and three mothers. My parents have never argued in public or even in front of any of us children. It can work out, they worked it out."

"That's good, Bobbi. I don't think it will be an issue here. People were accepting of the three. It was their problem.

"Can you tell me about the radios?"

I said, "SJ is better but I know how to operate the radios and understand a fair bit about antennas. The radio is an HF transceiver from before the Day. The solid state transceivers seem to have lasted well and we carry a few. The antenna is simple. We put up an inverted vee antenna with legs for twenty and forty meters. The lines coming off the center point are two different lengths to cover each of those two bands.

"The forty meter band is for longer distances like a continent. It should be good for Australia and will reach further under the right conditions. Finally, the twenty meter legs are good worldwide though not much good in the under five hundred mile, eight hundred kilemeter, range.

"We'll see what we can do on each band. I talked to my dad on twenty meters earlier."

"That is impressive, Bobbi."

"Not very. I have heard and participated in radio work since I could talk." We talked of other matters while I waited for Dad to come back.

I found that they had never fought anyone. Her parents met after the Day and she had only heard their stories. They had hardship but it was in their fight against the land in some unfortunate natural conditions and in learning to farm. There had been very few people and they quickly learned to cooperate.

Over the static, I heard Momma Janice's voice. "Bobbi, this is Momma Janice. Bobbi, come in from Australia. Over."

"Hello, Mom. This is Bobbi. Your signal is moderate strength but clearly readable. We're in Perth and have met friends here. I am talking to Matilda Brown who is listening to us."

Momma Janice said, "Hello, Matilda. It's good that Bobbi and the rest have met some new friends. We are calling folks on another radio to wake them to talk. Even though Charlie and Andy are retired from leadership, we will get them on the air to talk with you and with his sisters."

I said, "I will be glad to hear from them."

The radio was quiet and Noah said, "Did I understand correctly that your brother is the retired leader of your community?"

"Yes, he was elected to three consecutive terms and would still be our director but refused to run. He and his wife are quite a story and he is a great leader in so many ways. Wait until you hear their voices. Their looks match the sounds plus they are brilliantly intelligent. I'm proud of my brother and his wife."

At that point, Andy's sultry voice came over the radio's speaker. "Bobbi, this is Andy. Are you there?"

"Yes, Andy. I read you clearly. We're in Perth, Australia, with friends, Matilda and Noah Brown. Noah is the elected leader here."

"Charles did that but we just raise children, horses, and crops now. Charles said he quit before they tired of him. He should be here in a minute. Bobbi, have you had good flying weather?"

"Yes, Andy. The air has been clearer since we left Asia. I wonder if there was leftover smog from the old days. We flew here from Darwin where there was no one but a beautiful ocean. We enjoyed a couple of days swimming and relaxing. How are my nieces and nephews?"

"They are all fine and growing like weeds." We heard the sound of a kiss. She resumed, "Here's Charles."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.