"Little" Sister

Copyright© 2015 by PocketRocket

Chapter 5: Boston II

That summer was like and unlike the previous one. I stayed in the same flat. I worked at the same legal aid clinic, doing the same job full time. Once again I took notes and rewrote them every night. A lot of the people were the same. I was different.

Everyone said so. I dropped in at the shelter. Mimi hugged me and told me I had grown. Some of the recurring clients at legal aid said similar things. Two of the girls from the flat said so. I hooked up again with an old one night stand. She said it. Things went smoothly for two months, then Veronica said I was different.

Boston is a big city, but neighborhoods are small. I had been in Boston a little over a week when I first saw Roni. She was with a date, so I did not confront her. Instead, I kept an eye out. I saw her three times in the next two weeks. Then I was too busy to go out for a week, followed by another dry week. It was more than a month before we made eye contact. Veronica winked and turned away.

It was getting toward the end of the summer before we communicated. We never spoke. Instead, she sent me a note when we happened to be at the same restaurant.

Hello Jo.

I am glad to see you looking well. I wish we could have parted better last summer, but it was necessary to make a clean break. You were thinking of doing something stupid and I couldn't allow that. We were friends, with benefits of course, but it was never long term. I hope you don't hate me, because I truly did it for you.

This time, I hope you will forgive me staying away. I don't know if I love you, but I think I might a little. Parting would be much harder. I have a guy now and he would not understand.

Roni

I did not cry, but that seemed less of a problem than the first time. I folded the note and reread it at least ten times the next morning. At lunch, I went to the shelter. Mimi saw me right away. I just handed her the note. She read it, then sat back with a stunned expression.

Finally she said, "Life sucks all over. You had no idea this was going on last year. I could see that much. Can you tell what she's talking about now?"

That was easy. "She meant that I was thinking about skipping fall semester to stay in Boston. I could have graduated in the spring."

Mimi disagreed. "But, there was a chance you might never go back. I agree with her. I would not want that on my conscience either. I think better of her. I think a lot better of her. I even like her style. She's right about something else. It would not be good to get close now. Still, that can change. If you ever want to contact her, let me know." I had not cried, but Mimi was.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.