Alone and Afraid - Cover

Alone and Afraid

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 2: On the Road

Coming to Augusta from South Carolina, one must cross the Savannah River. As I was on the bridge crossing the river, I saw smoke! It was ahead and to my left in town. I was hopeful. That smoke was the first sign of people since I woke on Monday. I know it hadn’t been that long but seeing no one was disconcerting and disheartening. I followed the smoke into Augusta hoping for people. As I got closer to the source of the smoke, I became scared.

I wasn’t the most gregarious of people and was slow to make friends. My friends, Amos and Nat, were friends from college. There were many acquaintances but few friends. Having my younger sister living in my apartment had limited my romantic life and probably hers, too. Anyway, I slowed more as I crept closer to the smoke’s source. I was driving down the main drag and realized that the smoke was to my right and ahead. I was very close now. I stopped the car. I decided to approach on foot. I would be slower but I would also be able to approach with some hope of being undetected.

Before me, the buildings quit for parking and I saw the stadium or civic center ahead to the right. Out in the parking lot, there was a big bonfire. I could see a bulldozer pushing tires into the fire. The stench was terrible but the tires made smoke. Back from the tires and bulldozer, I saw a pickup truck and a car. That suggested two people though I could only see one on the bulldozer. I decided to walk up and find out what might be going on.

As I got closer, I could see that there was a guy on the bulldozer and another feeding tires from a trailer for it to push into the fire. They were ruining the parking lot where they were set up but I don’t guess that mattered. I got close enough to catch their attention. The heat from the fire was intense. The bulldozer operator pulled back and the other guy jumped off the trailer and both began to walk toward me. They were noticeably older than I being in their late forties or maybe even fifties. I said, “Hello! I’m Brian Childers from Nashville. I was at Myrtle Beach when everyone vanished.” I waited.

The tire thrower said, “I’m Bert Johnson and he’s Ed Davis. We lived here in Augusta and met after our families vanished. We haven’t seen anyone else and decided to start a fire to get people’s attention. You’re the first one who has shown up.”

I said, “Don’t take this wrong but that’s not really good news. You guys are the first I’ve seen since I woke on Monday. Riding around with my lights on and horn honking haven’t accomplished anything The best I can figure is that people vanished late Saturday night or early Sunday morning. For some reason, I slept through Sunday until Monday morning. What are your experiences?”

Bert said, “I went to sleep with my wife on Saturday night and woke up Sunday afternoon alone. Marie was gone including her night gown. The doors to the house were still locked with the chains still on.”

Ed said, “I’ve been a widower for almost a year. Angie had the cancer. My daughter and son in-law lived with me and they’re gone with no sign of their leaving. Bert found me Monday around noon after I woke up. I slept through Sunday, too. I’ve never done that before.

“We hoped we would attract people. We started this fire yesterday and fed it until late at night. We started it again this morning. Where are all the people, Brian?”

“Ed, I don’t know. I was at Myrtle Beach with two buddies. When I broke into their rooms, they were gone. They didn’t take their clothes but they were missing. I left and plan to drive home to Nashville but I don’t think I will find people much. My younger sister lived with me while she was in school. She doesn’t answer her phone.”

Bert said, “It’s a mystery. That’s for sure. I miss Marie. She wouldn’t have left me for no reason.”

I said, “Have you both tried to call or go see everyone you know?”

They nodded. Bert asked, “Did you?”

“Yes,” I answered. “I had no luck, either.”

Bert said, “That’s a nice rental car.”

I said, “We had a rental but it wasn’t much. I picked this one up at a dealership. I figured that I might as well have a comfortable ride. A Buick dealer was the first one I found. If there is a restaurant close by, I will break in and cook us some lunch. You can cool off, too.”

Ed said, “That’s sounds real good, Brian. There is a little one over there.” He pointed and I nodded when I saw the sign.

Bert said, ‘We’ll stoke the fire and come over.” I nodded and left. I moved the Buick over close, parked, and broke in. I was getting good at breaking and entering. I started the stove and made sure the air conditioning was on. It was a hamburger joint so I made fries and hamburgers. I toasted the buns because they were getting a little stale. The realization shook me as I realized there would be no more food deliveries. I was further shaken when I realized that no more deliveries meant exactly that and covered everything! There would be no food, no gas, no clothes. Nothing would be delivered again, ever.

Bert and Ed came in. They headed for the restroom to wash up. I saw Ed waiting. I called out, “Ed, use the ladies’ room. No one is here to mind.” Ed blushed and then he shrugged. He went in.

When he came out, he said, “It’s cleaner than the men’s room.”

I served platters for the three of us and we sat at a table after drawing cold drinks from the dispensing machine. Bert prayed and we both bowed. I wasn’t religious but knew to be polite and be considerate of the another person’s beliefs in my actions. It’s the south, we are taught to be considerate of other individuals whether you agree or not. Bert didn’t pray long.

We dug in. After a few bites, I said, “Guys, I don’t know if you have thought of this. I hadn’t until I noticed that the buns are a little stale.” Both heads popped up. I continued, “There won’t be any more deliveries of anything.”

Bert said, “Huh? What do you mean?”

“Exactly what I said. There is no one to operate a truck, train, or plane. No one to load any of those or unload them either. What is in the stores is all that will ever be delivered. That means the meat, fruit, and vegetables will rot. The bread will go stale and then go bad, too. Sooner or later, we will be out of gas. The electricity will stop when no one repairs downed lines. No one is going to fix any of those things.” I stopped talking because both of them were staring at me in shock.

I could see that they were digesting my statement and didn’t like what they were thinking. I didn’t blame them. I didn’t find my thinking pleasant either. Ed finally and slowly said, “I hadn’t thought of that either. How are we going to live?”

Bert said, “Ed, we’ll have to get things into freezers. That will work for a while. We might have to learn how to farm.” After a pause, he asked, “Brian, what are your plans again?”

I said, “I’ve only had a few minutes longer to think about this than you. For now, I am sticking to my original plan. I am going to drive to Nashville via Atlanta. I will look for people as I go but I want to check out my sisters and a few friends. There are things at my condo that I want. After that, I’m not so sure. At some point, growing my own food is going to be important.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.