Earth's Core - Cover

Earth's Core

Copyright© 2016 by Lonahora

Chapter 9: High Rankers’ Trials

“High Rankers’ trials?” Zax probed.

“For the sake of being accepted into a Geared mercenary band and gaining proper status.” Xinia proceeded.

Mendor also mentioned to him about being a Ranker mercenary, but that was as far as their conversation on the matter went.

“On the twenty eight of every fourth month the Mercenary Association upholds trials for mercenaries to improve their rank through special assignments or tests. It is up for you to choose, but to participate in the trials you first need a certain level of cultivation and to have a passible record of successive complete jobs or assignments. Unless you do, the only other method to get approved for the trials is if you participate as an envoy of a high class family.”

“And I suppose, the Sensensar family will appoint me as its envoy for the trials?”

“That’s the idea, you as one of my family’s envoys. As the holder of the Czar Seal, we can send up to five participants. Apart from you, I’ve already met, some time ago, with another brilliant cultivator who were offered and accepted the same arrangement.”

“You called it a ‘proposition’, now it’s an ‘arrangement’?”

“You are looking it the wrong way because you have yet to appreciate the amount of shortcuts and future benefits I place before you. The High Rankers’ trials are held every four months, and true, there is no shortage of veteran mercenaries like the guy waiting for you downstairs, but you are underestimating the type of qualification for becoming a Ranker mercenary, much less a High Ranker!”

“Okay, then last question. How I joining a ‘Geared’ mercenary band will correlate to forming an alliance with your family?” Zax asked, emphasizing the word “Geared” as he still has no idea for its meaning in the said context.

“Well...” Xinia sweetly smiled. “Position and status, position and status. Have them first by passing the trials, and then it will be worthwhile to explain. For now, let’s end here all business related talk and just enjoy each other company.”


“This is your foreigner ID, sir. If you are asked by an officer to identify yourself, it is enough if you will just provide your ID’s number.”

“Thank you.” Zax received the small, rectangle shaped metal plate.

It mostly looked plain silver with only the ID’s number carved to it, but when positioning the flat side in front of the eyes, a picture of Zax’s face was reflected along with his name and Glorious Ground’s and Blessed Army’s insignia.

“Sir, there is another thing. The man who arrived with asked to leave this note for when you return.” The receptionist handed Zax a sealed enveloped that belonged to the mayor’s office building.

Since it took over three hours to finish the meal while being forced to entertain the charming Xinia, when he returned to the reception desk, Zax did not expect that Mendor will wait for him.

At the front of the mayor’s office building Zax hide his ID in his bag, opened the enveloped and read the letter.

“Zax,

A minor issue has arose for my men in the Business Centre. I have to leave to take care of it and afterward I plan to retire for the day. You are welcome to borrow a bed for the night. My apartment is in Penerwoodrem St. 534. You can get directions for the receptionist in the mayor’s office building.

Mendor.”

Looking up, Zax stared at the darkening sky, put away the letter and returned to the mayor’s office building.


Penerwoodrem St. was quite far from the mayor’s office building, near the left mountain that arched over the city. The area itself was mostly populated by loud and boorish residents. There were bars, food stands, hostels, trading houses and hidden brothels occupied by fierce men and women, all of which cultivators, even a few second level Core Masters.

The vicinity somehow made Zax feel at ease. It was far from looking like a safe place for regular people to hang around, regardless of Glorious Ground’s laws, but to cultivators, especially strong ones, it was a much more lively location than any other in the city.

Penerwoodrem St. 534 was an old building complex with more than two hundred apartments. Luckily for Zax, it had a decent lobby and reception, all managed by an elderly couple.

“Excuse me, grandma, can you tell me where I can find a husky man who lives here named Mendor?” Zax asked.

The old woman was reading a book. Beside her she had a thick booklet.

The old man was messing with random small parts. He gave a bored look to Zax, and judged his wife’s shoulder.

“Eh? What is it, Som? Mm? A new renter?” She wondered after noticing Zax.

“Grandmas, I’m looking for a man named Mendor.”

“Mendor...” The old woman put the book aside and opened the booklet. “Second floor, apartment eighteen.”

“Thanks for the help.”


TING!

TING!

TING!

The doors of all the apartments were made of steel, giving the feeling of being inside a sophisticated, giant tin can.

It slid into the wall as it opened. A hand had to be keep holding it; otherwise the gears and springs inside will shut it automatically.

“Hey.” Zax raised his hand.

“You decided to come after all.” Mendor smiled and let him in.

“Old man, did the guy you talked about arrived?”

“Bring him here, old man.”

Two voices sounded past the short corridor from the entrance to the rest of the apartment.

Mendor passed Zax. “You two, keep your voice low at someone else’s home!”

Zax crossed the corridor and saw, at the left side of the apartment, two men, beside Mendor, sitting next to a wooden table, drinking and eating salty snacks.

“Zax, let me introduce.” Mendor gestured at a red haired man with a full mustache. “This uncle here is Toja, captain of Toja’s mercenary band.”

Currently, Toja allowed himself to get drunk. However, when he first crossed eyes with Zax, a hint of clarity and strong spirit could be detected in his expression.

“And this uncle”, Mendor pointed at a small and thin man with black, spiky hair and a nonchalant look to his face. “Is Zenar Lar. Despite having the capacity as a Core Master, he doesn’t work as a mercenary.”

“Kid, don’t listen to these two. Being a mercenary, like them, is the least rewarding profession a cultivator can pick while living in a city.” Zenar Lar retorted.

“Tell that to a Ranker.” Toja countered. “And, kid, go ahead and call us ‘uncles’, just don’t forget to give the proper respect to your old man here, and refer to him as ‘grandpa’.” He pointed with his thumb on Mendor.

‘A merry gang of old men’. Zax though in amusement. He never saw Mendor behave so casually around his men, even when they walked alone in the city.

“Uncle Toja, uncle Zenar Lar, nice to meet you, I’m Zax.”

“A polite young lad ... I take you haven’t been in the circle of men like the three uncles here for long.”

“Zenar Lar, Toja, Zax and I met only several days ago, today is his first visit to the city and he had not been to any of the others.”

“Oh ... A foreigner. Mendor just told us that he met a talented young cultivator.” Toja stared.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.