Karla - Cover

Karla

Copyright© 2015 by White Zulu

Chapter 20

It was good to see Kamilla smile again. Alfred let her tell about their visit to that man of God, though she broke out in giggles and hiccups occasionally.

"You should have been there to watch and listen. Alfred drew him out, once he found his breath in that horrid stench, that is. He pretended to be keen to hear all about his version of Christian faith since it seemed to be so divinely inspired. The sad silly sod swallowed all the rubbish Alfred fed him. When he was told that the fame of his church had spread as far afield as the United States, there was no stopping him.

"With frightening eagerness he blabbered how the sacred bible had been altered by agents of Antichrist; how he and other dedicated seekers after the truth had stripped away layer after layer of Satan's work till only the most lucid thoughts of the Lord remained. This purest of pure scripture Alfred should follow as well. There was no other road to salvation.

"Elise, Berthold, with minimal prodding by Alfred this filthy goatherd told how they viewed women – mere chattel, to serve man and to be used and treated as needed; children – to be shaped to God's will with a heavy hand, rigid rules and severe punishment for all misdeeds; the body – perfect in its godlike form and not to be despoiled by cosmetics or medicines in any way. And so on and on. It was so utterly disgusting that I asked Alfred to break off. We would come back for more enlightenment some other day, soon."

"I have it all recorded," Alfred told us. "He even stated his name for me, proudly so, and his title: Most Enlightened Speaker of God's Truth. Kamilla's and my names are there and I got him to confirm the date as well. It will hold up in court. Now, how to get in touch with Karla or Helmut? Will they listen?"

"They will, Alfred. I shall speak with Karla. She's desperate for help. I am so glad you took the trouble to come here. Now we can hope again."


Our strategy was sound. Present our facts to the lawyer and get him to stop the prosecution from prosecuting Elvira. We considered the facts convincing enough to achieve that goal. Tactics were a bit hazy since all depended on getting the go-ahead as well as cooperation from Helmut and Karla.

As it were, our well-laid plans came to naught immediately. Karla wanted us to help, she even got permission for Elise to visit the girls with her. Helmut wouldn't have it. He forbade Alfred, all of us really, any contact with his family. He did not state his reasons, just said that he was tired of our meddling and that we would hurt Elvira's case. His attorneys would do everything necessary. They were the experts, not we. Stay away! When Alfred mentioned that he had gathered crucial information about the workings of that sick church and implored him to at least listen to the recorded interview, he simply broke off the call.

Alfred went into a severe funk. We talked in endless circles of how and why and when. This got so bad that we started to snap at each other. And we drank more than was good for us. In the end it was Elise who told us to stop whining and use our unique abilities to do what was necessary. If ever there was time and reason for it, that time was now.

"Grow up, both of you! Just go see that fancy lawyer and get him to listen. We shall take it from there. What?" Exasperated, she threw up her hands. "Alfred, you have never acted dense before. Since when would you need either appointment or permission?"

When he finally understood, the smile lit up his face again. "Yes, Elise, of course. Thank you. I have to consult with Jake, though. Won't be long." With that remark he disappeared instantly.

I of course needed some special hints from Elise since I am way behind Alfred at the best of times. "Berthold, you and Alfred have always been mucking about almost indiscriminately with your gadgets. I hated it. But now you have to act. Now is not the time to bother with scruples. Alfred will have to bend everybody towards his goals."

She didn't have to say more. We both knew that nothing short of full mind control would do the trick. It remained to be seen whether Alfred and Jake could deliver.

When Alfred rejoined us – he was tactful enough to ring the door bell – there could be no doubt. He was all smiles and full of confidence. Jake, he said, had been reluctant to go all the way but was swayed by Elise's approval. He insisted, though, that Alfred would never act on his own, Elise and I had to be kept informed as essential safe guards.

He had brought with him a suitcase full of lawyer-like suits, shirts and ties. He would present himself as just Alfred Richter, a friend. No fancy stuff this time. He knew that his surname was German for judge. A good omen perhaps?


The attorney's chambers were just off the town centre. Before Alfred went in he showed me his business card; Jake's finest product. He had added an old-fashioned printing plant to his set-up and thrived on projects like this. With their heavy white stock, elegant typeface, and crisp printing they would impress royalty.

"Alfred, everything is perfect. Just act sufficiently arrogant and use the Heavy Matter well. However long it takes, I shall wait for you in that pub over there!"

I had to wait for almost two hours. To pacify publican and waitress alike I had to order more drinks and food than I wanted. This made me realise how easily one could be tempted to use the Heavy Matter indiscriminately, just to smooth some minor wavelets.

Alfred, when he finally joined me, was in a bad mood. "Bert, how is it that this affair is beset by sleazy characters? I don't even mean Karla's parents. They at least were genuinely nasty," he growled after downing half a pint of dark starkbier. "But this lawyer is just as twisted as dr. Theben. He wants a big court case, full of drama, he to shine in his role of fearless defender of a young maiden stricken by the twists of a cruel fate.

"He is a tormented man now. I let him know that his eventual reward would be much greater if the case didn't go to trial. He eagerly licked his lips but insisted I put the actual amount in writing. His troubles come from not knowing on which side his bread carries the most butter.

"By the way, I behaved badly myself. I was so annoyed by the lot of them – his snooty, ignorant secretary serves ghastly coffee and the stalest of biscuits – that all of them got stuck with a dimple. Elise was right. No scruples!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.