Frigate Cove
Chapter 12: Dealing with Adversity

Copyright© 2015 by Coaster2

"Well, she wants one million dollars, Cam. I told Mr. Faschinau that it was out of the question. We would never settle for that kind of money. We would see them in court. The dance has begun," Aaron said.

"She wants a million dollars?" Cam asked incredulously.

"Negotiations, Cam. I expected something silly from them, but I already had a response ready. I served them with notice that we would dispute her claim and were willing to respond when they filed their suit. I'm pretty sure that's the last thing they want. I suspect there will be another meeting with a different number. Now we wait for their second try."

"Okay, Aaron. You do what you think best, but just for the record, I'll never agree to a million dollars."

"Neither would the court, Cam. It's a non-starter and we can knock this down substantially based on previous similar claims. I'd say we'd be able to negotiate a hundred thousand as a top end."

"But that's like stealing, Aaron. She's not entitled to that kind of money."

"No, of course not. But court costs are a big factor, and that would be a reasonable settlement if it meant she went away forever."


"God, I hate that woman," Glynnis said angrily. "She's going to hurt you again. I wish there was some way I could hurt her back."

"Don't, Glyn. Don't let this ruin what we have. Someone once said the best revenge is living life well ... or something like that. That's what we intend to do, with or without the influence of Andrea Delahey. I have a feeling that there will be a day of reckoning for her. I don't know what it will be, but my gut tells me she will pay a price for her greed."

"Is your gut usually accurate?" Glynnis sniffed.

"Can't say. I've never had it talk to me before," he chuckled. "Let's just call it a hunch and leave it at that."

"Okay ... I don't want to talk about this anymore. It just makes me more upset."

"Just three more days, love. I'm in Seattle tomorrow and Vancouver the morning after. Then I'm putting Lauren on a plane to New York and I'm catching the commuter to Nanaimo. Are you going to be at the airport when I arrive?"

"Of course. You had to ask?" she snapped indignantly.

"Just checking to make sure there wasn't any change in plans. Don't get upset," he apologized.

"Sorry ... I'm a little stressed right now what with Andrea's threats and you being away for so long. Jamie will be with me too. He's just as anxious to see you as I am."

"I know. I can hear it in his voice, just as I can hear it in yours. Save your energy wildcat, you're going to need it," he laughed.

"You better save your energy, mister. Luckily we get to sleep in Sunday morning."

"I wonder just how much sleep we're going to get," Cam teased.

"Not much if I'm lucky."

They signed off with the usual "I love you" and hung up, each with their own thoughts about their reunion.

The wedding was scheduled for Saturday, March 1st, and Glynnis had booked the United Church's minister in the village to conduct the service. The reception would be at the Community Hall directly after the wedding. Both Cam and Glynnis's families had confirmed their attendance, along with Aaron and his wife, Larry Robertson and his wife, and ... Marjean Atkins was flying in from New York, as the guest of Cam and Glynnis. It seemed a fitting "thank you" for all the support and encouragement she had given Cam.

Glynnis had invited her boss and his wife, Howard and Anna Albright, as well as several others of the townsfolk whom Glynnis and Cam had come to know. All told, the guest list would number approximately fifty, filling the local B & B's at a slow time of the year, not to mention helping two of the motels up on the highway. Both sets of parents planned to arrive several days before the wedding to get to know each other. It would be an opportunity for Cam and Glynnis to show them around their lovely village and the surrounding area.


It seemed appropriate that Sunday dawned bright and sunny with a cool breeze from the Northwest. Glynnis and Jamie waited patiently as the twin turboprop aircraft taxied slowly to the airport gate. It would be a short walk from the aircraft into the terminal and across to the baggage arrival area. It was an open area, and Glynnis could follow Cam's path from the steps of the plane all the way into her arms.

"There he is, Mom," Jamie exclaimed, pointing at the figure of Cam as he stepped out of the aircraft.

Glynnis had a difficult time seeing him clearly as tears clouded her vision. Her man was home, and would be staying home for months to come. She realized just how much he meant to her. There wasn't a single moment of doubt in her mind that they were destined to be together. The marriage wasn't as important as that fact, but would be the formality that announced their union to the world.

The baggage was forgotten for some time as Cam and Glynnis embraced, kissed, gazed at each other and kissed again. Jamie waited patiently for Cam to acknowledge him and got a big hug and a fist bump in welcome. Cam's arm never left its place wrapped around Glynnis's slim waist, and hers wrapped around his arm. They had been too long without physical contact and neither wanted to let go of the other just yet.

Jamie rounded up a cart and helped Cam load it as the baggage appeared on the carrousel. Within a couple of minutes they were headed out the terminal doors and into the parking lot. Another thirty minutes and Glynnis had driven her Volvo up the driveway to the back door. He was home. It seemed like months since he had left. Cam and Jamie carried his luggage into their home and set it down.

"Put that black bag in the living room, Jamie," Cam directed. "It's got all the souvenirs I collected. We'll go through them after lunch, okay?"

"Yeah ... I can't wait. It's just like Christmas again."

Cam headed for the bedroom to shower and change into casual clothes. Glynnis had prepared a lunch of sandwiches and cheese snacks for them. It was exactly what Cam wanted after so many endless restaurant meals. A cold beer finished the light lunch off perfectly.

Cam took his time handing out the goodies from the black bag. Jamie was delighted with the baseball jersey from the Yankees, the new games for his Nintendo, and several other gifts from various locations in his travels. He held back Glynnis's gifts, suggesting they would be more suitable with just the two of them present. She grinned and nodded her agreement.

Glynnis insisted on doing his laundry after he had unpacked and told Cam to have a nap. She reminded him quietly that he would need the rest later that night. She closed the door to the bedroom and went about her chore.

Cam wasn't so sure he would sleep, but within a few minutes he was out, and the next thing he was aware of was Glynnis lying on the bed beside him, kissing him awake. He glanced at the bedside clock and saw that it was after four in the afternoon. He had slept for nearly three hours. He turned to her and saw her bright, sparkling eyes watching him with what could only be a look of love.

"This is what I've been missing," he said quietly, reaching for her.

"I know. I was so happy to see you walk off that plane today. You don't know how much I've missed you. You must be tired after that long trip, so I wanted you to sleep and be rested. I love you, Cam."

"Yes ... and I love you, Glynn. I hope we don't have too many more of these tours that keep us apart. We've both waited a long time to find the right person for us, and I hate to be parted from you as much as you hate to be parted from me."

"Well, it's not going to happen again for a while, so we can relax and enjoy being together again," she smiled, kissing him several times.


Glynnis lit the grill on Cam's deluxe five element gas range in preparation for their steaks. It was a once a month treat that Jamie particularly enjoyed. Glynnis had purchased some very thick tenderloins at the Duncan butcher shop, and Cam's mouth was watering at the thought of them. In the meantime, baked potatoes were in the oven while mushrooms and onions were in the frying pan.

Cam went to his wine rack and took down a bottle of French Pinot Noir. It was one of Glynn's favourites, and he would let it breathe while the dinner was being prepared. Jamie stayed out of the way while the two worked in harmony in the kitchen, but he wasn't far away when it was time to be called to the table.

With the dinner dishes cleared and either in the dishwasher or done by hand, they reconvened at the kitchen table for a game of Clue. It was fun just to be together that evening, celebrating Cam's successful tour and his return home. There was plenty of laughter and groans at the table as the game progressed. Glynnis ended up the winner, correctly identifying who, where, and how after a couple of hours play.

They continued to sit around the table afterward when Jamie asked a dramatic question.

"Would it be okay with you guys if I called Cam, Dad?" he asked.

Cam was caught completely by surprise at the boy's question. It took him a couple of moments to recover.

"Absolutely, Jamie. If that's what you want, I would be very pleased if you thought of me as your dad. Your mom and I haven't talked about it, but we could adopt you as my son officially. How would you feel about that?"

He glanced at Glynnis, realizing he had sprung this on her without discussing it first. Her smile told him that he was on safe ground.

"I've never had a dad like the other kids. I'd like you to be my dad if it's okay with Mom."

"Yes, Jamie," Glynnis jumped in. "I think that would be wonderful. I know Cam loves you as much as I do."

"I'll be a very lucky man to have your mother as my wife and you as my son," Cam beamed. "When we are married, we'll get started on the paperwork to make it happen."

"Yeah!" Jamie said with enthusiasm.

Cam glanced at Glynnis as saw the hint of a tear. He wasn't far from showing the same thing himself.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.