Frigate Cove - Cover

Frigate Cove

Copyright© 2015 by Coaster2

Chapter 5: Back to the Beginning of Something New

The woman on the telephone was quite abrupt, but nonetheless had Cam's undivided attention. Marjean Atkins was an editor for Houndstooth Publishing, and was calling him from New York.

"I'm intrigued by your manuscript, Mister Stuart. We don't get stories like this very often. It appears to be well researched. Of course, it would need quite a bit of work before it could be published, but nothing that would take from what is a very good story. Is it possible for you to come to New York so that we can discuss what I think needs to be done?"

"Uh ... well ... yes ... I guess so. When do you want to meet?" Cam asked, still in shock that he had finally had a response to the dozens of mailings of the manuscript.

"I think there's a good chance we can work up an advance for you to help defray your costs. Will that encourage you?" she asked with a hint of humour.

"Yes ... well, I'm not short of funds for a visit, but I have to arrange the time off from my current job at Hunter Publishing."

"I wondered if you might be in the business. Your vocabulary and style suggest that. I'll make time for you, Mister Stuart. Why don't you check with your employer and see when you can arrange a few days. I suggest you and I will need two, possibly three days, to go over the manuscript."

Cam called the woman back two days later.

"I've arranged to be in New York on Monday morning, April 3rd, Ms. Atkins. I've booked a room at a nearby hotel for Monday and Tuesday night. I hope that will be enough. I've got an open-ended flight ticket, so if I have to stay a day or two longer, I'm able to. I'm taking a week of my vacation, so I won't be pressured for time."

"Excellent. I'm very pleased to hear that," she said enthusiastically. "I hope this is the beginning of a very profitable alliance, Mister Stuart."

"Yes ... that would be great. Well, I'll see you Monday morning at eight am, then."

"Make it nine, I don't get here before then. I live in New Jersey and commute by train."

"Okay, I get to sleep in then," Cam chuckled. "Nine it is. I'm looking forward to it."

Cam hung up the phone wondering just what might come of this. At worst, he would spend some vacation time and money on a wild goose chase. At best, he might have a chance to get his book published. It was a risk, but then, what great venture wasn't? He thought he had written a pretty good novel, but the professionals had rejected it over and over again. Only Houndstooth had shown any interest. Well, he checked them out on the Internet, and they were legitimate and had published a few best-sellers. At least it wasn't some vanity press outfit.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.