Frigate Cove - Cover

Frigate Cove

Copyright© 2015 by Coaster2

Chapter 4: A Permanent Solution?

It was two weeks after Glynnis started her new job, Friday afternoon to be exact, when she approached Cam.

"Here, this is rent for Jamie and me," she said, passing a number of twenties to a surprised Cam.

"No, Glynnis ... no! You're a guest here, not a tenant. Take this back," he said, pushing the money back at her.

"I am a tenant, Cameron Stuart, and I always pay my way. The free days are over. I'll be looking for a place to rent as soon as the next paycheck arrives. I can afford it now and I won't be a further burden to you. You've been a life saver and I've been taking advantage of you. It has to stop."

He looked at her, trying to get his brain to develop a reasonable argument to stop her crazy insistence at leaving.

"I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay here," he said sullenly.

"Oh no ... no, Cam! I did enjoy it. So did Jamie. You were wonderful to us. This is a lovely home and we've loved every minute of being here. But it has to end. I can't be taking advantage of you any longer."

Cam was desperate for an argument to change her mind. "You're not taking advantage of me. You're lovely person and a fine mother. You have been a delight to have in this home. You've contributed with cooking and cleaning too. Don't think for a moment you were taking advantage of me."

Glynnis was tiring of the debate. In her heart, she loved this place and respected and admired the man who had so generously and willingly taken them in during their hour of need. She didn't really want to leave, but she knew that she couldn't continue on here with the status quo.

"Glynnis, if you're looking for a place to rent, I know of one," Cam said, hoping she would bite.

"Where? In Frigate Cove?"

He nodded. "Here. If you insist, we can work out a rent and things will stay as they are. You won't find a better place than this, I guarantee you." He maintained a grim determined look, waiting for Glynnis to respond.

Glynnis didn't know what to do. Cam was right, they wouldn't find a better place than this home. But why was he so insistent that they stay? What was going on in his head? His expression revealed nothing. He was a delightful man, handsome too, she admitted. He seemed so at ease around her and Jamie. That was another thing, she realized. Jamie and Cam had become very close. Taking him away would not be popular with the boy ... and no doubt with Cam as well. What to do?

"I don't know," she finally admitted. "We owe you so much, Cam. I don't know how to repay you ... no matter what I decide."

"What is it you don't like or trust about my offer," he said, watching her carefully.

"You know what it is," she said immediately. "I ... we ... feel like we have forced our way into your life. We're interfering with your livelihood and your freedom. We can't do that to you."

Cam was shaking his head. "You don't get it, do you? For the first time since I moved here, this house feels like a home. With you and Jamie, it almost feels like I have a family. Oh, no ... not in that way, but the atmosphere in these rooms when you both are here is very comfortable.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.