Building a CAP Based Future - Cover

Building a CAP Based Future

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 66: Goodbye to Some Friends

We ended up spending only one more hour in the park. Many of the partiers were drinking heavily. Once darkness fell the park started to feel a bit unsafe. Miki helped guide us back to the subway station so we could catch a ride back to the hotel.

During the ride back to the hotel, I finally managed to introduce Miki to everyone. She was intimidated by Morgan and Maurice but started up a lively conversation with Jessica about the merits of a couple of old anime series. By the time we reached our destination, just about everyone was laughing as Jessica finished off a rant about the jiggle physics used in one anime.

Miki took initiative when the doors of the train opened. She grabbed Ashley's hands and pulled her from the train. I could hear Ashley giggling as they bounded out of the train and onto the platform.

The rest of our group trickled out of the train. I could hear Jana snort as she stepped onto the platform. She was the last of us to exit the train. "I feel like I just walked into the men's locker room during halftime of a football game," she said.

"I've heard the trains in Japan are not pleasant places for women," I said

"Understatement," Jessica said. "I'd suggest that we take a taxi from now on, but the subway is faster."

We turned to walk from the station to our hotel. I could see that Erica and Angelique had joined Ashley in talking to Miki. The young Japanese girl seemed nervous as the two young girls merrily chattered on.

The hotel was in sight when Liz pointed to a place across the street. "Hey Cassidy, you said you were hungry. Why don't we pick up something there?"

"What does that place have?" Cassidy asked.

Miki looked up at Liz and then at the building she was pointing at. "That's a noodle house. They serve Soba and Udon noodles."

"What do we get?" Liz asked.

"If you want something hot, I'd say ask for kitsune udon. You can probably get it to go if you ask," Miki said.

Liz grabbed Cassidy. "Sounds perfect," she said.

The two crossed the street. "Do we wait?" Jason asked.

I looked over at my friend. He was standing and gazing over at the hotel. "You in a hurry to get to the hotel?" I asked.

"He found an outfit he wants me to wear tonight," Letty said. "But Jana and I have refused to let him see what it looks like on my body so far."

"Which is totally unfair," Jason muttered.

"What kind of outfits?" Miki asked.

Jana sighed. Her chest actually bounced with the weight of her breath. "High school uniforms. Can you picture me in high school?"

"Why not?" Kathy asked. "We see you there everyday."

Miki's eyes widened. "She's a student?" she asked.

"No," Ashley said with a giggle. "She teaches German. Jason just managed to win her heart."

"Mark," Morgan shouted, drawing my attention to him. "I think we ought to get moving. We don't know when Liz will come out ... Or if."

The last two words were said in a much quieter voice. Morgan was looking right at the entrance to the noodle shop. I turned to look and immediately recognized the grey wall that blocked the entrance.

"We just missed another pickup," Ashley said.

"Liz and Cassidy are in there," Morgan said.

"Which means, Liz won't emerge," I said. "She's got a qualifying score and will be picked up."

"She'll take Cassidy," Milli said. "Those two have bonded."

We could hear excited shouts. Some people had noticed the field and were approaching the area.

"We should leave," I said. "Last time I was this close to one of those fields there was a riot on this side of it."

Morgan nodded. He turned and began walking towards the hotel. Everyone started to follow.

I let the rest of my friends pass me. By now the excited shouts were becoming angry. I noticed that Angelique was looking at the grey field. She took a step towards it. I picked her up in my arms and tossed her over my shoulder.

"Daddy!" Angelique cried out.

Erica came over and grabbed my belt. "I'm scared," she whispered.

"No one will hurt you," I said. There were people running into the area, but they ignored us as they swarmed the grey barrier.

"What is happening?" Erica asked.

I looked up. My friends had split up into three distinct groups. Jason, Morgan, and Jessica were surrounded by their planned partners. Ashley and Lenore were close to me, but not hovering, while Miki walked in the middle of everyone while looking around nervously.

"There are aliens who need help. But these aliens are shy. What they did was come up with a test that humans can take," I began.

"What kind of test? Can I take it?" Erica asked.

"You aren't old enough yet," I said. "But I was explaining. Once you take the test the aliens occasionally set up that field. Anyone inside who passed the test will leave Earth to go help the aliens."

"Liz has a good score?" Erica asked.

"She does," I said with a nod. "And she'll take Cassidy with her."

"Do you have a good score?" Erica asked me.

I sighed. "Mine is better than hers."

Erica's eyes immediately started to fill with tears. Ashley noticed and swooped in to hug the girl. "He'll take you with him," my blond love promised. "That's why Lenore and I try to stay near him. If we are near him he can take us with him. And I know he plans to take you."

Erica gave me a hopeful look. I nodded and the girl raced over to hug my waist. "I love you," she said.

Miki looked surprised. "Is she your child?" she asked.

"Not really, but I guess I'm now as close to a father as she can have," I said.

"Her father went crazy. He tried to burn down the family home with everyone inside. Erica was the only survivor," Lenore said.

"How did you meet her?" Miki asked.

"We were going to watch the Super Bowl and had some extra space in the luxury box," I said. "We asked the local children's hospital if they had two children who might enjoy coming to the game."

"That was fun, it was my first time in an airplane," Erica said happily.

I nodded. We were at the entrance to the hotel when my cell phone rang. I pulled it from the holster at my waist and answered it without checking the screen. "This is Mark."

"Mark," Liz's voice rang out. "All that time with a qualifying score, and I stumble on a pickup in Tokyo."

"We noticed," I said. "We headed on to the hotel."

Liz laughed. "Yeah, I guess the field would be very visible. Oh, I did learn a few things."

"How are you calling?" I asked. "I thought the field blocked cell phone communications."

"We're up on the ship, and I convinced one of the marines to allow me to call. It's not officially against the rules," Liz said.

"There are rules?" I asked. I took the phone from my ear and switched it to speaker. We were standing near the elevators.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.