Building a CAP Based Future
Chapter 52: Scum Resurfaces

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Joyal

My thoughts after the pickup proved true. Ashley and Lenore rarely let me leave their sight during the days leading up to the New Year. Jason and Jessica had the same issue. A simple plan to go for a run in the park quickly became an organized march as their companions demanded to go with them.

Becky was the worst. She clung to Morgan. Beatrice had called their employer and tried to explain the issues, but was not sure she was successful. She succeeded in getting Becky a week off without pay. In her place Jessica, Kathy and Milli ended up working at the boutique to cover the hours. It was illegal on several levels, but the manager admitted that she was terrified of losing an employee in the current labor market.

"I don't know exactly what happened, but Bee and Bee show up every day with smiles on their faces. If she needs a break to get that smile back, I'll give it to her," the manager had said when Jessica and I walked in to talk to her.

Still the days passed pleasantly. Jessica had been given a large cash gift from her father and used it to acquire a number of games. Most days found everyone scattered in the living areas of the Roberts' house playing game and socializing after a morning of exercise. Morgan did have to leave to check on his business, but he admitted that he was preparing to sell it to his foreman.

"The man doesn't have the CAP to volunteer and doesn't want to leave his wife or allow another man to have sex with his wife. He's hoping that running a company will finally force his score over the six point five threshold. It's six point one right now," Morgan told us when Jason asked about his plans.

School resumed on January seventh. With the football and volleyball seasons done, we took a break from sports for the winter. The school had abandoned the idea of having cheerleaders at the basketball games after an incident at a game between Prospect High and Volmore Prep. There had been a pickup across the street from the gym about an hour before the game was scheduled to start. As was becoming increasingly common there, was a riot from people trying to get into the location after the interdiction field had gone up. When the field went down and they discovered that no women remained behind, the crowd had rushed across the street and stormed the gym. Several cheerleaders had been raped, and all of the schools admitted that they were unsure they would be able to protect them in the future.

Morgan had gone out and somehow obtained a luxury box for the Super Bowl. Jason and I were in shock when he showed us the paperwork. It turned out that an incident surrounding a pickup near Central Park in New York had resulted in a major company having to declare bankruptcy, and the box had become available. It was a huge surprise. Morgan informed us that we were allowed up to twenty adults so we were welcome to invite others if we wanted.

We did get some less than pleasant news. Jessica's father had decided to shut down the factory. A large group of former union members had moved into the city and were targeting businesses owned by those known to have good CAP scores. His business was high on the list, and several of his employees were hurt when thrown rocks shattered the windshields of their cars.

"I'll probably start looking to get picked up," he told us the first day of school after the New Year. He was in the SUV waiting for us when we came out of the school. "How about I take you somewhere?"

"Home," Letty and Ashley said in unison. "It's best to talk there."

We rode home. Jessica had Jason and me riding with her and her father while the rest of the group rode in the minivan being driven by Bea today. Jessica's father was sitting with us as his driver followed the minivan.

"So I have you to thank for Jessica's happiness?" the man asked Jason and me.

"We try Mister Thornton," I said carefully. "Honestly, I think Kathy and Milli are the ones who make her happy."

"You give her a purpose," he said. "Which she'll need once I'm picked up."

"But I don't want you to leave," Jessica whined.

"I have to," Mister Thornton said. "The unions will try to go after me. I'm a very public figure around here, and everyone knows I have a good CAP score."

"Everyone at school knows I have a good one too," Jessica pointed out.

"You are still a child in a lot of people's eyes. Going after you openly would hurt them with the very people they want to influence. And I know you want to wait for that brunette. Matti wasn't it?"

"My sister," I replied. "She turns thirteen tomorrow."

"One more year," Jessica said with a sigh. "I hate school too."

"I thought you loved learning," Mister Thornton said.

"Learning," Jessica said sharply. "But very little learning is going on at Central High. Most of the teachers aren't really interested in teaching anymore. And the majority of the students are worse."

"Which is part of why I loved Beatrice's idea that we travel more," I admitted. "We'll probably learn more that way."

"And be a bit safer," Jason admitted. "By the way, what do we do with the extra seats at the Super Bowl? Right now we only have fourteen people going."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.