Building a CAP Based Future - Cover

Building a CAP Based Future

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 18: Prelude to Adulthood

I allowed Jason to lead me into the training center. We found Ashley standing near the service counter, chatting merrily with the young woman standing there. I was surprised to see that the woman was wearing what looked like a combination of military uniform and space suit. Ashley noticed us and waved.

"Mark! Lieutenant Marakova here tells me that she's received transfer orders," Ashley called out.

Jason and I walked up to meet the woman. "You're not going to be here longer?" I asked the woman.

The woman smiled. "I was only here because we're still converting ships over."

"Converting?" Jason asked.

The woman seemed a bit shy. She looked around the center and then shrugged. "I don't think you'll tell. The truth is that the aliens don't have any purpose built combat ships. We are taking ships they used as colony scouts and adding weaponry. I've been based on Earth waiting for another shipment of converted ships."

"Are they good ships?" I asked.

"Not really. Right now all we have are basically scout ships that can maybe raid if they have a good commander. Some of the ships we are receiving aren't much bigger than a semi. But they will be all we have for the next year or so," Lieutenant Marakova said.

I nodded and then paused. "Wait, weren't you just an ensign when Ashley and I tested?"

The woman smiled. "You remembered. That's another reason I'm happy. How much do you know about the fight against the Sa'arm?"

"Is that what the evil aliens are called?" Jason asked.

The woman nodded. "That's the closest approximation we can give for the name the other aliens use. From what I've heard, and the briefings I've read, the Sa'arm don't actually speak. Anyways, the Sa'arm are exploiting planets all over the place, and the aliens we agreed to fight for have some worlds that are in danger. I guess some of those planets are far from Earth, so they are going to set up a new base nearby. I'm going to be commanding one of the first Corvettes sent to the sector. We're supposed to boost from Earth orbit on Thursday."

"Shouldn't you be with your crew preparing?" I asked.

"My ship has a crew of twenty eight," Lieutenant Marakova said. "And they have all been well trained already. Right now they are all spending some time with their concubines. Since our concubines will be brought out in a transport, we'll be without them for about six weeks while we travel."

"Ouch," Jason said. "But why are they moving your concubines from Earth?"

"There is too much distance. It's going to take us weeks to get to our destination. Basing our ships near Earth would mean it would take weeks of travel to our patrol stations and back. We don't have the luxury of that much time. My unit will be based on a planet called Borneo."

"You were helpful here," I admitted. "You could probably help a lot of others if you stayed."

Lieutenant Marakova laughed. "I don't have the patience to stay here. I want to help out in the actual fighting."

Jason raised a hand. "Um ... are the two men outside?"

"They are going to be in the marines. We are still working on the full equipment package, but one thing we are already using is some of the alien medical technology. Those men have been rebuilt. They are stronger and faster than most humans," Lieutenant Marakova said.

"Will they be going with you when you head to your new post?" Ashley asked.

"No," Lieutenant Marakova replied. "They belong to a different unit. They will be helping with the extraction program for a year and then they will be transferred to a colony."

"No one stays on Earth?" I asked.

"The aliens that we are fighting for don't really trust humans. Our history shows too many incidents where treachery and violence was used to overthrow a government. They would prefer that none of their technology end up on Earth, but understand that some will be required. They are very insistent that anyone trained to fight for them not be on Earth unless absolutely necessary," Lieutenant Marakova said.

"I wondered," Jason said. "So how is it decided what duty you will have once you volunteer?"

"The aliens have some pretty sophisticated computers. You might even think they are intelligent. They seem to be very good at figuring out what someone would be good at," the woman said.

Jason relaxed a little. "Now I just have to get a good score when we test," he said.

Ashley giggled. "You'll do well. You listen," she said.

I put my arms around Ashley. "I think you could get a better score if you tried again. You are a lot smarter than you pretend. People are going to think you dyed your hair blonde because you are too smart for it to be natural."

Ashley giggled louder and then kissed me. "You are so sweet! But I don't want to be a warrior. I want to stay at home and raise babies. And I already have the father chosen."

I blushed a little and returned the kiss before looking at the Lieutenant. "Susan? Can you tell us more about how concubines work?"

"No one is supposed to say anything until it's officially announced," she replied. "There is a bit of fear that people might panic, or that we'll see more protests like the one that broke up outside. Too many people who think they deserve to be worshipped don't have high CAP scores."

Jason snorted. "There are some who have the scores who are going to be just as bad if not worse when it comes to demanding worship. Ashley has one at her school."

"I worship Mark," Ashley said cheekily. "He knows how to take me to the moon, and someday in the future, he'll give me the stars."

Susan laughed. She turned to me and put a hand on my shoulder. "If you don't make sure this girl screams your name at night, you are a fool."

"He sure tried," Ashley said. She was bouncing with happiness. "I love being with him, and he's learning quickly."

I put my arms around Ashley. "I know I get more, but I really do love this girl. I just hope that any additional women who join Ashley and me will be able to fit in."

Susan nodded. "It is a very strange situation. We've been brought up to believe that all relationships are supposed to be one man and one woman, and now anyone joining the Confederacy military is going to be in a polygamous relationship, and it won't be a relationship of equals. The one joining the military will effectively be the master of the household."

"But you get more than one girl, who would hate that?" Jason asked.

Ashley reached out and smacked her brother in the back of the head. "What about the women who get to volunteer, some might not like that."

Susan smiled. "Many do. The CAP scoring process seems to favor bisexual women over straight ones."

The woman put a hand up to her ear. "The AI just told me that Julio is done testing."

"So fast?" Jason asked.

"I don't think he will be getting a great score," I said sorrowfully.

"I don't know," Susan said. "I'm not informed of what people score."

"How can they score it so fast?" Ashley asked. "Do they turn in sections of answers during the test?"

"Don't tell anyone, but it's a Confed AI doing the testing. There are no humans involved."

"But, I remember seeing people during the test. There were at least three people who asked me questions before I ended up dealing with those strange scenarios," I said.

"It's all a virtual reality illusion," Susan said. "Don't tell anyone though. People tend to tense up if they realize a human isn't asking the questions."

"You do realize that Jason hasn't tested yet, and you just told him the truth," I pointed out.

Susan gasped, but Jason just laughed. "I already suspected that something fishy was going on. After all, I never heard that there were multiple people working here, but Mark and Ashley talked about how they both saw several people during their test."

"You never said a thing," I said as I turned to look at Jason.

"What does it matter?" Jason asked. "Me knowing won't change your experience, and I'm trying to not allow myself to get obsessed over it. I have a feeling that if I want to score well; I need to be calm when I enter the testing chamber."

Ashley and I nodded as a door next to Susan's kiosk opened, and Julio staggered out. He had a forlorn expression on his face. I thought he had not noticed us, but he rushed forward and put his arms around me. "I only got a five point two," he wailed. "I'm doomed."

"You are not doomed," Jason snapped. "You just can't volunteer to join the space military right now. You have options."

"They suck!" Julio said as he held onto me. "I have to accept some woman I might not even know."

"Perhaps," Susan said. "Some men with high enough scores look for a man who they know won't try to take over the household."

"What?" Jason asked. "That doesn't make sense."

I was nodding. "No, it does make sense if Jessica heard the right numbers for how many people you can take. Someone with a score of nine will get to take eight people. Some men might think having eight woman at his beck and call might be nice, but I expect many will want a second man so that they aren't trying to please that many women."

Susan laughed. "That's a bit crude, but that is exactly what I've seen. There aren't many people with scores above eight, but most of the men with that score do take another man, some with seven do as well."

Ashley giggled. "Mark won't. I don't want any man other than him."

Susan looked at Ashley. "You don't get a choice if he takes you. The way the laws will work off planet the concubines don't get any rights. They have to obey the one who brought them."

"As long as I only dance with the one that brought me, I'll be very happy," Ashley chirped.

I gave my lover a huge hug. "You'll be dancing with a few women as well. I've always wanted to watch two women make love."

"Friday," Ashley said. "I promise I'll talk a cheerleader into joining us."

"I won't promise to make her one of our girls," I said firmly. "I have to get to know her first."

"Like you'll get more. Everyone knows Kelsey will crawl naked across the courtyard for you, and I'm sure you've already told her she can join you," Julio said with a sniff.

I pushed him away from me. "Are you better?" I asked Julio.

"Yes," he said with a sigh. "My mother will hate it though. And I don't know who is even available for me to talk to."

"Amy," Jason said quickly. "She's got a six six. I think Miranda has a six five. I don't know any others in our class."

"Piggy Phelps?" Julio said mournfully. "And Miranda the Hun? They are two of the most aggressive women in the class."

"Is that really so terrible?" I asked. "And I'll let you know that all I told Kelsey was that I could do nothing until she tests. It's possible I won't be here by then, I could get called up."

"Just avoid cafes and restaurants," Susan said. "Right now the colony transports are small so they will be extracting volunteers from small venues while we wait for the first purpose built transports to become active."

"You keep telling us so much," I said. "Shouldn't you be keeping quiet about all of these secret things?"

"They aren't really secret, just unannounced. Some of the people in charge believe that a single big television special showing how volunteers will be extracted will be more effective. I don't think you are going to be talking to too many others."

I looked at Jason and Julio. "Ashley will never tell. I have no reason to speak. I can't promise that our two men here will remember to keep silent."

Jason laughed. "Loose lips sink ships."

"Not exactly true in this case," Lieutenant Marakova said. "But it works."

I nodded and then looked over at Julio. "How is your sister?" I asked.

"Not good," he said. "She's scared, depressed, and lonely in the hospital."

"Haven't you visited her?" I asked. "That should have helped her some."

Julio nodded. "But none of my sisters will visit. Mother has been there every day and acting supportive, but once she leaves she tells the family how Letty must have been sinning. My sisters are afraid to visit her."

Ashley sighed. "And Leticia is so hard to deal that I doubt she has many friends at school."

"Only a few who go to our church," Julio admitted. "And their parents are saying the same thing that Mother is. None of them have taken the time to even call Letty."

"How about once we leave here we go and visit her?" I suggested. "Unless they aren't allowing friends to visit."

Julio nodded. "What about Walter?"

Jason snorted. "We'll ask when he comes out. Most likely he'll want to head to the mall so he can start scoping out babes. Especially if he gets a score that will allow him to volunteer."

The lieutenant nodded and held a hand over her left ear. "The AI has informed me that your friend has completed his test. He'll receive his card in about a minute."

I pulled out my cell phone and dialed my mother's number. She answered on the first ring. "Mom," I said when she answered. "Julio and Walter are both done. Do you want to come and pick us up?"

"I can do that. I'm not at home so it will be about ten minutes," mom replied.

"Oh, would you be willing to drive us to the hospital?" I asked.

"You want to visit your brother?" Mom said incredulously. "He's not at the hospital; I took him to the clinic used by your father's union. They sent him home."

"Actually, we want to visit Julio's sister. She's a junior at Central High and was injured during the rampage on Friday," I said.

"How badly?" She asked with a gasp.

"She's still in the hospital," I said. "And I remember Julio saying that her face was slashed. I haven't seen her."

"I can do that," Mother replied. "Wait for me outside the center."

I hung up the phone just as Walter emerged through a doorway and entered the lobby. "I got a six point five!" he shouted loudly.

"Congrats," my friends and I chorused back to him.

"Dude, I knew you could do it!" Jason shouted. "So what will you do now?"

"I want to go to the mall. I'm going to start scoping out the girls!" Walter shouted. "Think I can get a ride there. If I tell my mother, she'll demand that I come home."

"My mother is on her way to pick us all up," I said. "She can drop you off at the mall."

"Dude! You are righteous. Now I can find a hottie that will keep you green with envy. I'm sure there is a model just looking for a man to protect her," Walter said.

Ashley and I waved to Susan as the rest of the group dashed out of the center. "Keep in touch if you can," I said. "I'd love to hear how things are going on the front."

We followed the others out of the center, stepping out just as our red minivan pulled into the parking lot and pulled to a stop near our group. My mother lowered the driver's side window and smiled at all of us. "Are you ready to leave?" she asked.

"Yes," I replied. "Can we drop Walter off at the mall? He has something he wants to do."

Ashley had released my arm and ran around the minivan. She jumped into the front seat as the rest of the guys stood and argued over who would take the seat. I laughed and circled the minivan heading towards the sliding door.

I had gotten into the minivan and was buckling in when the others realized that Ashley had already claimed the front seat. They walked around the minivan grumbling about how it was unfair that the girl had claimed the front seat.

Jason and Julio got into the minivan first, allowing Walter to sit by the door. They buckled in, and my mother immediately started moving the minivan. Walter was smirking as the minivan left the parking lot. "So Mrs. Parker, what do you think about young men?" he asked cheekily.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.