Bud - Cover

Bud

Copyright© 2015 by Bill Offutt

Chapter 45

"It's time we talked about high school and made some decisions," said Polly Williams, Bud's busy mother. The family had finished their supper and Bud was about to ask to be excused. He sat back down and tried to look interested instead of impatient.

"You decide, son," said Bud's father, "you're half way in between the school in Rockville, which is a good school as your brother can tell you, and the one in Bethesda, that most folks think is one of the best around, so you can go either way, and I guess, if you wanted, we could consider Georgetown Prep since you could walk over there."

"Most of the guys at Kensington go on to Richard Montgomery up in Rockville," Bud said. "That's where I was before the fire you know, in the old school I mean."

"But Bethesda is probably a better school; your sister enjoyed going there. Have you thought about college?" his mother asked. "Phil's talking about going over to Maryland after he graduates."

"They're smarter than I am," said Bud, shaking his head. "I haven't really considered it. And Phil goes to Rockville high, so it doesn't make any difference to me; least I don't think so."

"Come on," Sam Williams said, "you're doing a lot better in school now. Don't be so hard on yourself."

"Before Christmas," his mother said, "I want you to make up your mind. If you go down to Bethesda, we will have to get you some new school clothes."

"How come?" Bud asked.

"Boys wear sweaters and shirts, dress really well when they go to that school, some wear jackets and neckties." His mother smiled at him. "Don't you recall how your sister dressed?"

"Then I think I'll go to Richard Montgomery. Phil doesn't have to get all dressed up."

"Yes, but he doesn't wear Levis either." His mother smiled across at him. "We'll get you what you need."

"Well, the buses run both north and south, and there might be people you could hitch a ride with, but you decide," said his father. "Makes no difference to me if you change your mind."

"You went to Rockville, didn't you?" Bud asked.

"There was no high school in Bethesda until about 1927 or '28," his father replied, "but your brother and sister rode the trolley down there for a while."

"I'd know more guys in Rockville," said Bud. "I'll go there."

"Good, glad you decided," said his mother. "Now you'll have to think about whether you want to take the academic courses or not, but we can wait on that."

"Life's full of decisions, eh boy, chocolate or vanilla?" Bud's father punched his bicep and headed for the living room and the radio.

"Where did you go to school, Ma?" Bud asked as she started clearing the table.

"Oh, back in Wisconsin mostly. I went to a girl's school here briefly."

"Did you think about college, want to go?" Bud carried his plate and the serving dishes to the kitchen, following his mother to the sink.

"I can't remember. I met your father while I was still in school and then, well, we fell in love."

"How old were you, I mean when you met him?"

"Pretty young, sixteen, and pretty silly too. Actually I met his older brother first, but then he swept me off my feet." She laughed. "In a Model-T. I was seventeen when we married."

"Janie's older than you were."

"And she has better sense too. I was what they called a flapper back in the olden days, and very hard on my poor parents. I think they were glad to marry me off."

"Gee, sixteen," Bud said.

"Now don't you be getting any ideas, young man." His mother laughed as she rinsed the dishes.

"Paw didn't go to college, right?"

"No, when he came back from the war, I don't think he even thought about it. Maybe he did. But then he took over the store and married me. Go ask him."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.