Kenny Burns - Cover

Kenny Burns

Copyright© 2016 by happyhugo

Chapter 4

Fran and Becky drove down to Stapleton Tuesday evening. I was driving down late on Wednesday. When I got there Pete was home and everyone was waiting on me to eat. The house smelled like there were pies and bread ready for dinner tomorrow.

After we had eaten, Pete announced that Helen and Pattie were coming to visit. Betty seemed okay with it. She came out with, "Kenny, Pete and I have made some decisions about our life going forward. I am going to divorce Pete, and Dad has agreed to let me move in with him until I can find a place to live. I know this may seem wrong, but I feel it is necessary. We have explained to Becky what our situation is and she feels like it is the best we can do, considering how Pete and I feel about each other."

"Just how do you feel about each other?"

"It's complicated. But we are letting it rest for now. Pete and I will continue to hold ownership of the store in both our names. As long as I'm not here to contribute, my portion of the profits will go down from fifty percent to twenty-five percent. Dad will be paying me wages to help him in Clearview. We will continue as equal partners in all things concerning Becky, and that is to see that she gets a good education."

"Will Becky be still staying with Fran and me?"

"Pete and I gave her a choice, and she would like to stay with you for now. Next summer she may move back with Pete and split her time with me. She will take every other weekend with one of us.

"Going forward. Pete is going to see what Cameron is going to do. Helen hasn't heard from him since he left, but she expects he will contact her soon. The two men working for him have been asking whether they still have their jobs or should they look for different employment. Helen can tell you about it when she gets here."

"Hey, you two are getting divorced. You are acting terribly calm about it, how come?"

Betty answered, "I told you it was complicated. Pete and I are down to being good friends. We haven't slept in the same bed for awhile. That came about when I realized he and Helen were more than sex partners. I envy him some, but I can live with it. Me, I caused all of this with Cameron, so there isn't any reason for both of us to be miserable. Now that I'm getting away from Cameron I can get on with my life and find some happiness of my own."

"Are you sure you are over Cameron?"

"If I want Becky's love, I had better be. I'm still a good looking woman. I'll wait awhile and then begin testing the waters for love again. Be assured it will be love I'm looking for, and not just sex. Little brother, you haven't criticized me openly, but I'm sure some part of your mind has. I cringe when I think of it."

"Don't worry about it, Sis. You're my sister and I almost have to love you. You have some uncertainty ahead of you. You can come to Franny and me at any time for help, or even a shoulder to cry on."

"Kenny, thanks, that means a lot."

Helen and Pattie came in. Pattie went right to Beckey, saying. "Hi Sis. How you doin'?" Then both girls laughed. She then addressed Betty saying she was glad to see her. She didn't say anything to Pete, just going to him for a hug. She then kissed him on the cheek. There was definitely love between the father and daughter.

She broke away and spoke, "Aunt Fran and Uncle Kenny, it is so good to see you again. Oh, it smells so wonderful. I'm hungry already. I can't wait until tomorrow."

Pete asked Helen if she had heard from Cameron, "Yes, I have. I've been talking to him all morning. He told me what he wants in the divorce ... Oh, by the way I should get papers from him next week about that. If he keeps to what we agreed today, I'll have them looked at and then sign them.

"It is no big secret, I guess. He wants to sell the new house we were building. He has a buyer lined up, and is someone who has been interested in it since we broke ground. Pete and Betty, you will be getting back what money you have contributed. I'm to get back half the cost that he and I put into it. He is claiming whatever profit above the cost when it is sold. He is sending a release for that." Helen sat back and waited for more questions.

Pete asked, "Is he coming back here at all?"

"He said not for awhile. He will be talking to Pattie once a week. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but he said the only person he loved was Pattie. He also said he didn't have any regrets over the association we four have had together for so many years, but it was time for him to move on. I'm happy it has ended too, and it certainly is time to move on."

Betty volunteered, "I feel the same way. No one is hurt too badly over the breakup."

I was watching Pete. He did didn't say anything, but he did look happy.

Betty again, "What is Cam doing about his business?"

"He offered it to me. I don't know if I want to combine it with my own or not. He'll be taking a lot of the capital out of it. I'd have to use considerable of my own money to replace the working capital so that any good sized trades could go through. I'm really doing quite well the way I am with my own day trading. I'll talk to the men who work for him. Maybe if they would put up some money, I'll consider working it on shares. I'll have an accountant look over how good they are and go from there."

I spoke up. "I could do that for you. Up until two months ago I was the accountant for all three of Philo's stores."

"I'll contact you next week if I decide to go that route."

"Thank you Helen, anything I can do to help."

"Uncle Kenny and Fran, I have permission from my father to ask if I can stay with you until I graduate next spring. I'm close to Mom but she works and Dad isn't here. I need someone to get close to. If I could move in with her, I could really get to know Becky."

I looked at Helen and glanced at Pete. Helen was nodding her head that it was fine with her. Pete looked totally surprised. I realized then that I thought Pattie was referring to Pete as her father, when it was Cameron she meant.

"My father said he would pay whatever you asked. Mom is fine with this too."

"Uncle Kenny, please. Pattie and I promise to help you in the store whenever you can use us."

"Betty, what do you think?"

"It's a good idea; that is if you don't mind?"

"Pete, you must have some say in this?"

"Not really, but you have done great with Becky. I'm sure you will do as well with Pattie. So if it is okay with Cam and Helen, I'm on board. She better not start until after the Christmas break. I can bring Helen up sometime before then to get her switched and find out if she will be in the same classes as Becky." We left it at that.


The girls went up to Becky's room. I talked with Pete telling him how much I expected to sell with the midnight opening of the store for Black Friday. Fran, Betty and Helen, were sitting around the kitchen table talking. I had no idea what they were discussing. When it got time to go to bed, Franny announced that she and I would be spending the night with Helen.

Not much was said on the way to Helen's house. When we got there, she showed us the room we would be sleeping in. I showered and went to bed and was asleep when Fran came to bed. She poked me and wanted to talk, but I was too sleepy to listen. I dragged out the next morning and was drinking coffee when the two left to finish cooking Thanksgiving Dinner at Pete and Betty's.

I arrived there just as my parents were driving in. I hadn't seen my mother for a couple of months. She was happy. "Kenny, I love being back in my home town. I've looked up all my own friends and we have coffee klatches and sometimes we go out to lunch. I'm really enjoying myself.

"You know Betty is going to be staying with us, don't you. She will be working with your father so she won't be interfering with my life. I never in the world thought she would get divorced, but she says that's what she wants. Do you know why?"

"Some of it, but you'll have to get it from Betty or Dad."

"He won't tell me anything."

"Bullshit Mom, You know every bit of what went on and have kept from me."

"Well I don't. I always liked Pete, and Philo says it has something to do with Pete and that harassment thing years and years ago. Oh well, I guess I'll find out someday.

"Mom, that isn't what I've been told." I felt sorry for my mother. I couldn't really say much to my father about hiding this from me all those years, but my mother wasn't going to think I still was in the dark. Maybe I should be mad at Mom instead of my father.

Mom was introduced to Helen and Pattie. I thought she was going to deny she knew who they were. Maybe she had never met them, but after glancing at me, she didn't attempt to. Pattie and Becky were side by side, and were wearing clothes much the same. It was obvious they were related.

"Oh, you look just like Becky." She stopped speaking, not knowing what to say next.

Betty knew what game Mom was playing. "Mom, there is a good reason why they should look alike and don't you pretend otherwise. She is Becky's half-sister. Pete's good friend, Cameron, asked Pete to donate sperm so his wife Helen, could have a baby when he found he couldn't sire one. Pattie is Helen's child and Pattie is something to be thankful for on this day. Now don't go embarrassing anyone by asking more questions."

I spoke to emphasize, "Mom, you'll be seeing Pattie quite often. Plans have been made for her to join Becky while finishing high school and live with Fran and me. Becky is so much fun; Fran and I are looking to have the fun doubled."

Betty spoke up, "Mom, come and help get dinner on the table. Talk to Helen while you are helping. The turkey is ready to come out of the oven and rest. I want pictures and then Dad is going to carve it."

Dad nudged me, "I had no idea what to say."

"Dad, you and I know this is pretty much is all Betty's fault. Some of it is yours, too and I'm thinking Mom was just as involved as you. You didn't let it all play out years ago when Betty was messing around on Pete. You had to keep Pete working for you in the store and you wanted to keep a husband for Betty. I will say I feared Betty was going to lose Becky when she first discovered what her mother was doing. If Becky wasn't as forgiving toward her mother, she might not be here today."

"Kenny, we just tried to keep it from bothering you."

"Well if I had known maybe I could have saved Becky from being so traumatized Saturday night. I suspect Betty has good intentions about changing. There is no doubt in my mind that my sister is a slut, but if she doesn't change some things, you will be having someone just like Cameron visiting Betty when she moves in with you and Mom. She is a pretty woman, but she is a slut and she acts like one."

"That's an awful thing to say about your sister."

"It is isn't it?" I looked Dad right in the eye and he could see I wasn't going to retract my statement. He shook his head and walked into the dining room. The table was arranged perfectly. Soon we were ready to eat. Dad carved the turkey after the pictures were taken of it.

As always, everyone ate too much. It took awhile but I caught Betty watching me.

As the table was being picked up she said, "Kenny, I want to talk to you. I caught some of what you said to Dad. I think you should explain."

"It would be best if I didn't. It isn't any of my business. You are the way you are. You are my sister and I love you. I most likely would say some things that would drive us apart."

"You'd say them to Dad, but not to my face? I think the damage is already done."

"In that case, I'll talk to you. Find us a private place. I'm going to be leaving soon. I want to get home and get a little rest. I'm opening the store at midnight. Fran and Becky are going to help so they will be going with me."

"Come up to my room, we'll talk there." I followed her. Becky had told us that she and Pete had separate beds. It appeared to be so.

"Speak up little brother."

"Sis, I've always been a little bit in awe of you. I've been married for three months now and there is a contrast between you and Fran. That's not bad, but it has made me think about you. I noticed the same contrast between you and Helen the few times I've seen you together."

"Spit it out, Kenny."

"Okay, I've only had a week to think about this. I believe you have been controlled by Cameron for the last eighteen years of so. I think you have a problem with low esteem because of him. Think back to you and Pete in the store all the while we worked together. Pete came up with the idea of furnishing uniforms to prevent the clerks from being too revealing to the public. Everyone wore one except you.

"You wear those low-cut peasant blouses and anyone can see more than half your breasts most of the time. Your lipstick is way too bright. Your skirts are too high and your slacks are too tight. Anyone who sees you gets the impression you are a slut. Up until last weekend I thought it was an act, but I've come to believe you really are.

"My worry is; you say you are going to change, but can you if you continue to look and act like a slut? That's all the type of men you are going to attract if you don't.

"Getting back to why I think your esteem is low, I can understand why. Cameron, a former boy friend showed up after you married Pete. You immediately jumped into bed with him and got caught by your husband. Pete goes out to get even and screws one of the clerks working for him. Dad and Mom step in and the harassment charge goes away. But to keep everyone happy, Dad basically gives your husband to another woman and this assures that you are still under Cameron's control.

"You are now returning to live with your parents when you are nearly forty. You aren't going to want to hang out with them. You'll soon be out looking for excitement and if you don't change, you will attract another man just like Cameron. This from the signals you give off. There, I've said it all."

Betty sat on the edge of the other bed. I was looking at her. Her eyes were cast down and I could see she was mulling over what I had said. "Kenny, I said last weekend I was seeing myself through Becky's eyes when she described me in bed with Cameron. I hated what I saw. I guess I hate what I'm seeing through your eyes too."

"Sis, I do love you."

"Kenny, I love you too. You've giving me a lot to think about. I'm glad you opened up to me. You know the one thing certain in this is; I'll never let Cameron into my life again. I knew all along it was wrong, but I didn't know how to change. This conversation with you has given me the impetus to make more changes." We went down stairs. Franny and Becky were ready to leave. Pattie was going with us. Helen said she would be up to get her on Sunday.

We had both cars here, so Fran rode with me, leaving the two girls in the car behind us. We reached home at six. I set the alarm for nine and I lay down. Fran was going to get me up then and I was going into the store to get ready to open at midnight. She was lying down and I would call and wake her at one. Hopefully we would be busy enough to stay awake until morning when the regular clerks came in. People were lining up by eleven. It looked like I was going to have a good sale.

The two girls had lain down shortly after I did and were sleeping when I left. I decided to call Becky at a quarter to Midnight. "Hey girls, do you want to go to work? It looks like we are going to busy. There must be twenty people at the door already."

"We're up and just leaving the house. Fran is coming with us." Becky had worked the cash register many times and it wasn't long before Pattie was doing almost as well. I had enough clerks to staff all of the departments. Fran was in house wares and I was in the basement where the large lawn and garden equipment was. Most everyone who were buying, knew what they wanted, so I didn't have to do much selling to make a sale. I had the elevator traveling up and down steadily with stock or busy putting reserved stock into layaway in the back.

It slowed down a little after four, but it picked up again before six. Becky went to MacDonalds and got breakfasts for the ten people who had manned the departments and cash registers. My assistant manager came in at seven bringing replacements with him. He and his wife had worked for Dad and I made him my assistant...

He asked how it went, "I'll be ordering about twice as much replacement stock as I expected to. This was a good move being open last night. I told the women to go home. I think Fran got the least sleep of any of us."

I stayed until nine and then I went home for a few hours. I went back to the store at five and closed it at nine. I stayed for an hour tabulating what we had taken in. Tomorrow I would come in and work on ordering more stock to replace my depleted inventory. It looked to be a great Christmas Season.


Helen drove up Sunday morning to get Pattie. Fran and I both liked her. She had been talking to Cameron. He missed Pattie terribly and said he would come to see her soon. It would be here during the Christmas vacation. He planned on winding up most of his affairs in Stapleton at that time. He had put their divorce papers in the mail and Helen would be receiving them Tuesday.

Helen said she wasn't moving in with Pete, but did spend a lot of time with him. They were in love, but were going to give their relationship some time. They were almost positive that they would marry after both divorces were final. Helen was leaning toward taking over Cameron's trading business, with the two former traders now working for her. Pattie wasn't at all interested in her mother's business, but Becky asked innumerable questions about it. Helen promised to lend her books on the subject.


My sister Betty, called and said she was actively looking for a place to live, someplace other than with Mom and Dad. Dad and Mom were telling her what to do and after her every minute because she had decided to divorce Pete. "As if I had a choice? Love has left us and there is no point in staying together any longer. I'm happy for Becky and Pattie that Pete and Helen are meant for each other. We should have done this fifteen years ago after the excitement died down about sleeping with someone other than our spouse."

I urged Becky to visit her mother the first weekend in December. I didn't know it, but she had arranged to have Pattie go with her. Betty called after they left for home and said she had a great time having them with her. They spent the weekend touring apartments and Betty had actually made the decision to rent one. She just had to get away from Mom and Dad.

The following weekend everyone gathered in Stapleton and we helped pack up Betty's things. Pete was generous and allowed her to take from their house what she needed to set up living in her new apartment. Betty was a changed woman already. She had shortened her hair and had some permanent styling done to it. She was dressed more conservatively then I had ever seen her.

I didn't comment, but Betty made sure I noticed. "Kenny, this is the new me. I've taken your observations on my looks to heart and I'll see who I can catch this way. If I can't catch a man like this, I can always go back to being a slut."

"You won't have to do that. I predict by Valentine's Day you will have captured the attention of some nice man."

"Kenny, hope you are right, but I'll give it longer than that."


My sales kept up better than Dad's did last year. He grumbled about it some. Pete had a good year too. Fran and I were getting ready for Pattie moving in during the vacation right after Christmas. The two were together whenever they could be. The day after Christmas, which was a Sunday, both girls were here. Someone punched the doorbell.

I opened the door to find Cameron Peabody standing there. "I called Helen and she said Pattie was here. Helen said she was coming up with Pattie's grades so she can start school next week."

I stuck out my hand. "Come in, Cameron. The girls are asleep on the couch. Fran is in the office working on end of year figures. Would you like a beer or a drink of some kind?"

"No, I'm fine. You don't mind me coming in?"

"Of course not, Pattie missed you for the Christmas festivities. We had Christmas Eve at Pete's and dinner there yesterday. You were missed."

"What about Becky, I'll bet she didn't miss me?"

"Believe it or not, she did for Pattie's sake. She understands Christmas without your father or mother being with you hurts. Betty wasn't with Becky for Christmas Eve so she can relate."

"How is Betty?"

"She is adapting very well. She has a nice new apartment. The family got her moved and Pete gave her what she needed to furnish it."

"I hope Betty isn't expecting anything from me. What we had was getting to be unpleasant."

"Betty is as pleased with the breakup as you appear to be."

"Good, if we meet sometime, we can be sociable. I don't ever want to return to what we had, though."

"I can assure you Betty feels the same way. Come in, we'll wake the girls."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.