Wollt Ihr Das Bett in Flammen Sehen? - Cover

Wollt Ihr Das Bett in Flammen Sehen?

Copyright© 2015 by Colin the Dogg

Chapter 4

The sky is clear and blue as David pulls up outside a house he had not seen for many years. He is both apprehensive and wishing to catch at least glimpse of Gillian.

Dinger comes running out as soon as he draws to a full halt, crash helmet in hand.

"Morning mate, I wasn't sure whether you'd come, you don't have to y'know. Mum'll take us to me bike after she gets up."

"No problem, besides I would like to see this machine in the daylight. What is it by the way? You didn't tell me last night and I couldn't see it properly in the dark."

It's an old CBR 600, I bought it off a bloke I used to work with. It were cheap, 'cos it were knackered, I rebuilt it but then I lost me job, so I've had to finish it on a shoestring, the electrics are a complete bodge job, the original was burnt out. I had to rewire it using bits of an extension lead."

David's mind shudders at the thought.

"So three colours only, couldn't have been easy."

"It were a nightmare, believe me."

"You said you knew what the problem was."

"Yeah, one of the LT wires going to one of the coils, I ran out of wire and its a little short so under tension, I think it just pulled out of the clip."

The shame in his voice is evident, and yet as they converse over the short journey David realises the boy is not stupid, just restricted by circumstance.

When they get to the bike, David finds he is fascinated by the wiring. The extension lead he had used was an old one. Red, black and green wires, he watches as the boy does his thing for a few minutes, listening to him cursing.

"It's fucked, shorted out and melted."

David had not wanted to interfere, he knew he could do more than help he could do the job for him, however David believed that a man's motorcycle is his own responsibility until he asks for help and refused the temptation to butt in and take over.

"Thanks again for all your help mate, but it looks like I've got a long push back home."

"I don't think so, hang on let me make a call."

After hanging up he turns to Dinger and tells him to jump back in the car, puzzled he does as he is told.

"The company I work for has a couple of vans, they're parked up there, we'll go steal one and fetch you bike back for you. I might even be able to steal a bit of wire for you."

"Blindin', you really are cool mate."

"Has no one in your club got a van?"

"I don't like to ask, I've only had the patch a fortnight, yesterday would have been my first time out with them, I suppose they'll kick me out now."

"Really? I would have thought given your age and lack of experience, they should expect you to fuck up."

"Not being funny mate, but how would you know?"

"Oh, just a wild guess, things can't be that different."

"What, were you in a bike club?"

"I can't imagine being in charge of your club is much different than any other position if you are in charge of people."

"Bloody hell, you work 'ere, I sent a CV. in to 'ere, never 'eard nuffink back."

David had to think, CV. curriculum vitae, he was used the the American, resume, he was glad of the distraction from Dinger's questioning.

"You're not working now?"

"Nah, on the dole, oh shit, 'ere." Dinger fumbles in his pocket and brings out a crumpled £10 note wrapped around some coins." "'Ere's your change for the cab."

David wants to tell him to keep it, he doesn't in case he offends him.

David doesn't have to unlock, a few engineers are in on overtime. He takes Dinger inside, after having a word with one of the engineers, they go to the workshop and David helps himself to many lengths of wire, in a selection of gauges and colours, then he finds a small bag and fills it with an assortment of connectors.

"You're kiddin', I can't take all that." Dinger objects as David gives him the contraband.

"There's a price."

Dinger looked worried until David says, as he passes him a card. "Be here on Wednesday at three o'clock with your bike, I will check your work and if you've done the job properly we'll talk about a job."

"No shit?"

"No shit, just ask the receptionist for me."

"Thanks Mr." He looked at the card. "Hunt."

"David will do for now. Now lets get that van so you can get started rewiring your bike."

"Yeah." Dinger grunted, he was dumbstruck with the luck he had, since meeting this man.

Less than an hour later David is returning the van when his phone goes, he sees it is his wife.

"Hi babe, be home very soon what's up."

"Claire's just been round, with Ted, I didn't let them in but they told me it would be in your best interest to talk to Ted. They worried me Dave, They want me to go out with them again next Saturday afternoon I think they're planning something and I don't think it's good."

"Okay sweetheart, I'll be there in twenty, bye now."

After she had finished telling him about the visit David is not happy, he is now sure his suspicions are correct.

He reassures her, telling her that he knows he won't be working the next weekend and that they can go away somewhere. Her relief is apparent but short lived.

"That won't stop them, only delay it." The panic returning to her voice.

"Calm down babe. I promise you, it will be alright. They won't have a clue you aren't going to obey them until next Saturday, we'll stay out until late Sunday. The following weekend I may have to spend some time at work, I'll think of something to keep you out of harms way, they'll soon get bored and give up."

David hopes she has more faith in his words than he does.

They have no more visits that day. Although Olivia reported that Claire had tried to visit twice at the beginning of the week and been turned away both times. David's week at work was, as he had predicted light. Wednesday at quarter to three the receptionist calls him, saying there was a Mr Bell to see him.

Dinger had brought a phone with him. On it is a photograph of every wire, every connection, every step he had taken in the reconstruction of the bikes wiring loom. He had done so well it looked as if it had come from the factory in Japan. He was also ready to take the petrol tank off to show that part of the loom in situ. David declined and then told him to report for work at 06:00 Monday morning, before showing him around the factory and introducing him to Mark Watson, the shift manager he would be working under.

When they were done David walked Dinger back to his bike, telling him about wages, holidays, the benefits currently paid and then about the bonuses he was hoping to bring into the factory in the coming months. As they are standing by the bike Dinger thinks he can see a longing in David's eyes as he looks about the bike and so suggests David take it for a spin.

David starts to refuse then thinks to himself. "Why not."

He finds Dingers helmet to be old and well used, he suspects that he got it second hand, it is a loose fit and he has no problem getting it on.

One press on the starter and it fires, ticking over with a low purr. David straddles it and before pulling away mentally familiarises himself with the controls. Throttle, clutch and front brake on the handlebars, gears and rear brake for his feet. Japanese, so first gear press down, others lift up.

He pulls in the clutch and presses the gear lever, it slips into first with a satisfying clunk. He gives it some revs and lets the clutch out slowly, then feeling the bite gives it more revs then he is away.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.