Wollt Ihr Das Bett in Flammen Sehen? - Cover

Wollt Ihr Das Bett in Flammen Sehen?

Copyright© 2015 by Colin the Dogg

Chapter 2

David awakes; as he stirs, he feels the bed softly shaking. He is soon aware the shaking is because his wife is softly sobbing.

"What's wrong babe?"

"Just being silly, but I don't think we should have come."

"Liv, I know how you feel. Remember, apart from keeping fit I used to shut myself in my apartment if I wasn't at work or had some work function to attend. I know it's different here, but I really think you will grow to like it. Life's a bit calmer here."

"I'm sure you're right Dave, but when we got here it just seemed so dirty and dismal."

"It was a bit miserable this morning, but really English weather is not as bad as people think. We will adjust, I found your summers stifling at first. C'mon lets get some breakfast and I will call for the car, when it's delivered I can take you to explore. Maybe even a little shopping."

He wipes her tears away. "You go get freshened up and I'll make you a coffee."

He sets the coffee machine going then puts the kettle on. He finds tea bags and makes himself a cup of tea.

Olivia joins him, wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.

"I hope you are going to shower as well."

"Yes babe, just let me finish my tea, it's the first decent cuppa I've had for nine years."

"We have tea in Cali'."

"But it isn't the same, doesn't taste right, don't ask me what or why, I never managed to work it out."

He finishes his tea, makes the call and goes upstairs to shower and change. Olivia ponders on his words, it is true, he came to a city all alone and she is in a small town with her man. She thinks about how, until he met her he was reclusive and she had never really understood why. He's not shy, quite the opposite, he is forthright, confident, always giving the impression he is in charge, no matter who he was dealing with.

It's not as if they hadn't had sufficient warning he would be returning home. They had always discussed the possibility and when the possible became the probable, he wanted to jump at the chance and she had agreed. The trouble is, she seems to be finding that she was not prepared for the reality and now it is here, it's too late to say no.

The sound of him coming down pulls her from her thoughts.

"You know, we've been expecting everyone to recognise me as soon as I walk down the street, but I'll bet you nobody will recognise me." He doubted himself as he said it, but he really hoped it could be true.

She smiled. "How will that be?"

"Don't you remember me saying? I had a different look before I left and Old man Thomson told me I would need to tidy myself up if I wanted the position in LA. I managed to convince him it would have to wait until I got there otherwise it may cause me problems as I wouldn't look like my passport, Nobody here has seen me since then."

"Maybe but I don't believe you won't be recognised, if you agree that if the first ten people we see that you know don't recognise you, I will take the bet."

"Make it twenty if you like, unless we get into a conversation with them, my voice will give me away, unless it's been corrupted by you and yours more than I think."

The chimes of a doorbell interrupt them the car has arrived. A BMW, a dark grey 4 series, coupé.

David is shown around the car, signs the paperwork and the man leaves with another car and driver that was waiting for him.

"You said you would take me shopping."

"Do we need anything in the kitchen, any groceries?"

"She giggles. "I haven't looked."

"Well let's find out, if we're shopping together I don't want to be walking around forever and buying nothing."

"Yeah, yeah, I know." She grinned as she rifles through the cupboards, fridge and freezer.

Half-hour later, David, instead of going straight into town, much to Olivia's disappointment takes the car for a spin. Unused to the car and out of practice with the narrow country lanes, coupled with the constant drizzle keep David from playing.

Olivia seems to be impressed with a few of the picturesque villages that they drive through, especially Oxham. Dave notes that the village pub, the Bell, is closed and up for sale.

Dave eventually parks the car in the market square car park in Emmingford. As he locks the car, he says "two."

Dave walks over to "Harts" a clothing store. He knew she wanted clothes, at the moment, some form of overcoat, the light jacket she wore was the most weatherproof she had brought with her. Most of the things they both owned were either in storage or in the process of being shipped over.

Olivia had difficulty with the high volume of goods, squeezed into the small size of the shop. She is used to the wide-open spaces of American stores. She bought, as David expected, a simple but fashionable overcoat; also a couple of skirts, blouses, a light jacket and some lingerie.

After paying, David takes the clothes to the car before joining Olivia as she looks at shoes in the window of "Cardigans shoes"

"Seven" says David as he joins her. He has been saddened by each of the people he sees as they walk by showing no signs of recognition, although each one has bolstered his resolve to stay incognito, stay away from the happiness and the pain he knows awaits him.

"Why do you keep saying random numbers to me?"

"They're not random; it's how many people I have seen that know me well, if I just said how many people I recognised we would be over thirty by now."

"Really, and nobodies recognised you? Were you a non entity?"

David laughed. "No, trust me everybody knew who I was, if not by name, by sight."

"What aren't you telling me?"

"Ah ah, we have an agreement not to talk about our lives before we met, you already know more about me than I do you and that's nine."

They wander around the shops in the market place, including an ATM, Dave had to correct himself and call it a cash point, before Olivia decides they are done. Dave puts the shopping in the car and then tells her they are going for a pint. His count is now up to nineteen.

"If the pubs not changed hands there should be some pictures on the wall, have a look at them and see if there is anybody you recognise. By the way, you are ordering the drinks; I've got to go as soon as we're inside."

He gives her a £10 note with a grin. They walk in, an old man is behind the bar and he is talking to two customers propped against the bar. Two others are playing pool; David looks down the list of beers and tells her to get him a pint of choirboys regret.

"I don't see it on the list."

"Bishops Finger." He says walking to the gents, as she bursts out laughing.

Upon his return, he finds her sitting at a table in the corner.

"I thought you would be looking at the pictures."

"I was guarding the drinks, you don't know what can happen in a place like this it's a real dive."

"Shh not so loud, you'll offend people, besides nothing will happen in here, not to you or the drinks. I can guarantee that."

"Where's the bathroom?" she whispers, a look of concern on her face.

"The ladies, is over there past the pool table, you won't find a bath in it."

She scowls at him before walking off.

He looks at his beer, wondering whether the taste will live up to his memory, before tentatively taking a sip.

He tries to just sip the beer and savour the taste. However the sensation as each bubble bursts on his tongue with a sweet kiss and the caresses given to his throat as he swallows, coupled by the sweet blend of hops and malt make his resolve impossible. By the time his wife exits the ladies, he finds himself staring at an empty glass.

Some time passes and Dave pulls his attention away from his glass, he needs some stimulus to keep the phantoms at bay. Olivia is looking intently at the pictures, only occasionally glancing at her husband.

"You lied, you're not there." She says as she sits back down.

"Have I won the bet then, if you say yes and then you want me to prove it I will, however if I do, I can guarantee we will not be getting out of here before the early hours."

"Who's in here then?"

"Well that's Gerry behind the bar, he owns the place, Malc and Bruce are at the bar, Pat and Trigger are playing pool and Nigger has just walked in the door."

"Nigger? He's not African American."

David chuckles. "He's not black either and if he were, he still wouldn't be an African American. His surname's Blackman. Now, he might recognise me, we were at school together."

Olivia watches as Nigger walks to the bar, a pint is placed before him without a word spoken. He passes a five pound note to Gerry and says "Ta" as he lifts the glass to his lips.

She is still watching as Gerry returns with his change, they bend their heads together and have a quiet conversation.

"He was in those pictures." Olivia observes.

"I know."

He stares again at his empty glass.

"Do you want to cook or shall we stay here for another and stay out for something to eat."

"You can't have another, you're driving."

"I can if we get something to eat before we go home." He says passing her a twenty.

She glares at him then goes to the bar.

She stands away from Nigger and Gerry, she looks back at David in frustration as they carry on with their conversation. He gives her a smile and an encouraging nod.

"Yaw right darlin'."

She turns to the voice and sees Nigger grinning at her.

"Yes why wouldn't I be?"

"Bleedin 'ell, a septic! Wot yer doin' rand 'ere."

David begins laughing as he sees her struggling to understand Nigger.

"Same again luv?" Gerry asks her, an amused look on his face.

"Wossamatta, cat gottit?" Again from Nigger.

Olivia looks alternately at the man and her husband, both of which have amused grins on their faces.

"Down hatta worry babe, I ain't gonna bye cha, jus tryin'a be friendly." Then Nigger looks at the landlord. "'Ere Gerr, thasson me awright, maybe she an er ol' man'll relax a bit, in a bit."

Catching on that the strange man is offering to pay for her drinks, she stammers "T't'thankyou."

Olivia collects her glasses and hurries to rejoin her husband. Nigger watches her return and looks inquisitively at David. David gave him a "thumbs up" and a nod. Nigger gives a nod in return, opens his mouth ready to speak, then shakes his head and turns back to Gerry.

"See, told you he's a nice man."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.