The Truth
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2015 by Old Man with a Pen

The Mostly True: VI.

The car was painted red, white and blue. The two ply took the paint like it was gel coat resin. After the race I fixed the nose from where I'd hit the rail road crossing post in the middle of the Grand Trunk right of away; and the steering from where the turnbuckles had jerked loose ... I had to move the anchor plates because the screws didn't have any threads in the wood. And the shoe brake in the back seems to have lost the rubber tire piece and ground the wood to nothing trying to stop.

After the race, I could paint the wheels. They got a blue background with white stars centered on the axles. The body was wavy red and white stripes. I got to have the car on a parade float for years ... until it disappeared.

The best thing about finishing the car and actually driving it in the Centennial? I got released from my area restriction. I could ride my bike wherever.

Wherever is the next story.

Ricky Anderson lived on the north west corner of Cass and Oakland ... the house is still there. Cass and Oakland is the south east corner of my home block. From Linden to Oakland was one block ... a block and a half.

Ricky and I were buds. Ricky's sister was a babe ... neither here nor there and has nothing to do with this story ... just a little aside ... but she was a babe.

Mr. Anderson owned the IGA market and a whole lot of vacant land both north and south of town. By vacant ... I mean brush overgrown ... not farmland or forest ... just low snake infested swamp that benefitted by the very recent addition of two state drainage ditches.

The north of town land is also an aside ... just like Ricky's sister ... what we're interested in is the south end ... behind the hospital.

From the corner of Swegles and Sturgis east to Sturgis and Scott Road and south to Townsend road was all one piece of land. No roads ... no houses ... swamp; brushy, overgrown, snake infested and now draining thanks to the two state financed drainage ditches.

US 27 teed into M21 east of town and then 27 followed 21 to Main where 27 turned north and 21 kept heading west ... are you with me? Google maps makes it simple.

Ike and his fast transport system went looking for major tie-ups and US 27 and M21 was a real doozy. When the National Guard and the Army Reserves went to Summer Camp at Grayling, US27/M21 was the worst of a great collection of roadblocks.

What happened was politics and National Security.

Oldsmobile was building jet engines for fighters and the workers ... many from outlying towns needed fast access to the plant ... so there was a massive move to accommodate those workers

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.