A Time Ago or Ahead? - Cover

A Time Ago or Ahead?

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 2

I scouted around the edge of the pond and found some tubers that I washed off in the pond. I came to the other end of the pond and resumed walking along the creek while I munched on a raw tuber. I'm not sure what it was but it tasted okay and I was hungry. I also thought that at least there were some animals existing here. I did wonder again where "here" might be located. I thought about it some more and decided that "when" might be a good question also.

Late that afternoon, I found the beginning of the creek. It bubbled up from the ground as a spring. The spring was just below the crest of a low ridge. I went over the top of the hill carefully. I ducked down as I did because I saw a lot of movement. I watched from my vantage point lying on the ground to see many animals before me. On this other side of the hill, there were two springs feeding a larger creek. I had found a stick that might become a thrusting spear but nothing else that looked like a weapon. I had trimmed on it whenever I had stopped.

The animals, when they saw me, showed no fear. That did not bode well for finding people. I literally walked up to an animal that looked like a small deer and thrust my stick deep into its side killing it. I had a lighter and managed to start a fire. I cut pieces from the deer to eat. I ate a lot. I was hungry and the tubers hadn't sated my hunger. They did taste better cooked though.

I found what I hoped was a safe spot to sleep and went to sleep holding my spear. I woke in the morning. I had been left alone. However, I noticed that the carcass was gone. I could see a couple of lion looking animals but they didn't seem interested in me. I had a new creek to follow as it flowed down. I debated for a while but decided to stay with water for right now. I hoped the new creek would be promising whatever that might mean. I had seen neither people nor signs of people. I could now eat and drink. I was okay with being alone but didn't want to perfect that ability. People weren't all bad. My other self reminded me that they weren't all good either. I would be careful when I found people. Theb I heard my little voice say, "If you find people." I told it that, if it couldn't be optimistic, it should shut up.

I followed the creek for another day killing another deer-like animal. This time I tried to skin it. I managed to do that though it wasn't a great job. I tried to scrap the skin without much success. In the morning, I took up my task though the hide had hardened over night. I worked at it with my hands trying to soften it but had no luck. I kept it trying to figure out if it would soften and be useful. After another day of travel and fruitless kneading of the skin, I threw it away. I never had known anything about tanning a skin. I would try again some day though the prospect didn't excite me very much. I was now gorging every other day though drank from the creek regularly.

It had been ten days according to my watch since I had left the cave. I noticed one thing about the days that troubled me. When the sun was at its apex in the sky each day, my watch indicated that a little more than twenty-four hours had passed. I also hadn't seen the moon. If this were the future, things had changed. Otherwise, it wasn't my world at all. I was not comforted by either idea.

I saw animals regularly and became pretty good with my sharpened stick. I found another potential one and began to carry it, too. The weather was good and I saw nothing that suggested a cold season here. I had been rained upon once and didn't like it. I also was tired of traveling without any real purpose.

On the next day, I made a kill in the morning and skinned it. I built a small fire for cooking some of the meat and worked the hide with my knife to scrap it. When evening came, I tried putting the hide in the creek under some rocks to keep it from floating off. On the next morning, it was a little stiff but working it brought back most of the suppleness. I stayed in the same place. Like I had thought, I was tired of going just to go. I built a small lean-to with my fire in front of it.

I built a drying rack for strips of meat I cut from the carcass. I had to quickly remake it higher when it caught fire and the meat started to burn. My second try was successful. I wished I were a better woodsman but I had never trained for that. My camping had always been with plenty of gear and not just the clothes on my back and the contents of my pockets. Having a knife and a lighter were definitely items that made me thankful. I continued to work the skin hoping that I would have acceptable success this time.

The only thing that was missing was people. This existence is lonely. I don't care for people that much but no one and no sign of anyone was starting to make me want some people.

I kept at my efforts and made my hut more weather-proof and more thoughtfully designed. I now had a fire pit and a moveable drying rack. I knew I needed salt for a decent tasting jerky. I figured that I might use some of it with the skin, too. I tried exploring around my area getting to know the small forest behind my hut. To my surprise, I found a cave almost a mile from my lean-to. Inside it, I found a small rivulet that appeared and then vanished under a rock. I looked around outside and found where it came to the surface and emptied into my creek. I debated things and finally moved into the cave abandoning my lean-to though I brought a lot of useful ideas and a few items like my drying rack into my cave. It was more protected and I could even have an inside fire. There was a natural chimney. I searched for and found a secondary opening from my main area that I could use if I ever needed it.

I have now passed Christmas in this new land. Santa Claus didn't bring me anything. I guessed the old boy doesn't know where I am either. I had plenty to eat, wasn't being threatened by animals, had water to drink, and was protected from the elements by my cave. I wanted something that I didn't have.

I wanted people. I am comfortable now. I have stored some smoked deer and tubers. My tanning efforts haven't met with great success but I have found a great source of salt. I am using salt more heavily in my next deer hide tanning effort.

Sometime after the first of the year, I plan to extend my search further away from my cave. It's nice to be dry but living in the cave in bad weather is boring. I think I would have killed for a book.

It's almost the end of January and I am setting out for a longer trip. The short rainy season is over, I think. It's time to start because I'm beyond being bored. I will follow my creek downstream and hope that there will be some changes in scenery. I would also like to find people.

I guess you could say that I'm learning my home. It's always warm and the weather doesn't seem to change except for rain or I am stuck in the summer of the year despite the date on my watch.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.