Brian, Where Are You? an Alone and Afraid Story - Cover

Brian, Where Are You? an Alone and Afraid Story

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 7

It wasn't two minutes before there was a knock on the door. Of course, it was Amos and Nat. I invited them in. Nat gave me a hug. He whispered, "You look great!"

Amos was in front of Beth. "Elizabeth, you look fantastic! Every guy who sees you will be jealous that you're with me."

They walked us to Nat's SUV and the guys opened the doors for us. I decided that, while I didn't need it, I liked chivalry. Nat drove us to a park a short way out of town.

The guys brought a cooler of soft drinks and bags of chips. Nat had a big soft quilt that we helped spread on the ground in a pretty, shady spot. As we walked the hundred feet or so to the spot from Nat's SUV, we attracted attention. One guy even walked into a tree! We did look hot though we weren't overtly on display. With the quilt spread, the guys offered us soft drinks or wine. I chose wine and, after a pause, Beth did, too.

Nat poured four plastic wine glasses and handed them out. He said, "Happy times. Pretty day and pretty ladies. It's good." I smiled at him and leaned on his arm gently. He even blushed a little.

I said softly, "Nat, that was a nice thing to say."

He responded by another blush saying, "It's all true."

"Thank you."

I looked over and noticed that Beth was holding Amos' hand while she sipped her wine with the other. We sipped our wine not saying anything just enjoying being together. I thought that this nice guy stuff had real promise. I was glad I had decided to be the kind of female that Brian thought I should be rather than the kind that I had been. I missed my brother for his counsel and love but felt his influence continuing to have a big part in my life.

I gave a little shiver and Nat put his arm around me. "Are you cold, Shirley?"

I smiled. "Not now. I think the wine gave me a momentary chill but I'm fine now." He made to move his arm. I said, "That's part of the reason that I'm fine. Don't move away, Nat." I moved my head a little forward and his arm dropped to my hip and very gently caressed it. I gave him a very small moan of pleasure and smiled up at him.

We had some more wine and ate the prepared salads Nat and Amos brought for an early lunch. We didn't talk much but truly enjoyed the company. I found Nat to be quiet and, like Brian, not pushy. He allowed me to be me and just enjoyed my presence. It was a new feeling. I was used to showing a lot of skin and being manhandled on dates. I gave a little start when I realized that I had already talked to Nat more and about more than with any other guy but Brian.

Nat said, "Is something wrong?"

I smiled at him and said, "No, Nat. 'Everything' is good."

He smiled back. "Would you walk with me?"

"Of course, I'm wearing walking shoes. They ought to be used."

He grinned. "They will."

"Lead on, Freeman. I can and will keep up."

I looked over at Beth and Amos. They had their heads together and seemed lost to anyone else in the world. I didn't have a purse. I had a wallet that Brian had given me. It held my phone, driver's license, a few bills, and a credit card. It was handy and practical. I jumped up which made Beth give a start. I said, "Sis, we're going for a walk." She nodded absentmindedly as she looked back at Amos.

Nat offered his hand and I took it as we walked away toward a path. We walked side by side holding hands. I thought again that, strange as it sounds, I had never done that with anyone before. Nat's hand felt good in mine. It enveloped mine in a comfortable way. We walked at a brisk pace for about five minutes without saying a word.

We had reached an overlook and stopped. Nat said, "Shirley, I miss my friend. I'm sure you miss your brother. Every time I think of him, I realize that I want to be a better person. Brian had that effect on me. He would always think of others and how he could help them be better. I've been thinking on that and trying it at my office." He chuckled but without humor. "When it works, it is intensely satisfying."

"Are you trying to help me be better?" I asked.

"No, but I am trying to have you enjoy being with me." He looked at me quite hard. "I've had a crush on you ever since I met you. You were a beautiful kid. You were a gorgeous teen. In your twenties, you started to look beyond hot. However, I know I'm older and I never got your attention. There is a lot of age difference. You had so many guys chasing you that I always knew I would get lost in the masses of your admirers. Brian's loss gave me a chance to get your attention. I am taking it."

I said, "How's it working so far?"

He said, "I should ask you. I am enjoying being with you. You are a marvelous companion. You are bright and beautiful. I enjoy talking to you and listening to what you have to say."

"Nat, you're buttering me up for something. What is it?"

He smiled shyly. "I hope you enjoy being with me enough to date this old guy when your classes resume and competition for your time heats up."

I looked at him staring hard into his eyes. I realized that he had pretty green eyes. I said, "Nathaniel Freeman, you need to be more confident. I think I can find time in my life for you."

He looked a little startled. "You didn't put a time limit on that."

"That is correct. Do you want one?"

"No, Ma'am. I would like us to spend a long, long time getting to know each other." I smiled as I reached around his neck with my free hand and kissed him hard. He returned my kiss. When we broke away, we were both breathless!

He said, "Let's walk some, Shirley." Still holding my hand, he led me up the path further away from where we had been sitting. I followed him willingly.

We walked a long way. Most of it was holding hands and side by side. Nat found that I could keep up with him. I'm tall and those long legs that I hated in middle school and tolerated in high school had filled out and now looked good. I enjoyed walking because of how it made me feel and how that exercise helped maintain strong legs and a tight butt.

I had noticed that Nat looked while we walked and seemed to enjoy what he saw. We reached the top of a big hill and could see for a long way. It was a restful and peaceful scene. As part of that, I felt peaceful around Nat. As we stood facing the view, he put his arm around my waist and pulled me close gently. I realized that I wasn't being forced but nudged.

I smiled and looked at him. "Nat, if I hadn't been willing to stand close to you, what would you have done/"

"Let you stand away from me. Shirley, I would never force you to do or not to do anything. Not only do I not have that right, I'm not sure I would want that right. I enjoy being with you. I like you near me and hope you like being near me enough to stand close. I am proud to have such a sweet lady stand by me. You are gorgeous and I look better next to you."

He paused and then said, "However, it's not your body that is so gorgeous. You have a great body but that's not it. You have an aura of beauty and intelligence that is visible to anyone. I've watched you for years. Up until just lately, I always felt that I couldn't ever get into the running for your affection other than as your brother's friend. I wanted more. When Amos and I returned from the beach, I decided that I had to try or it would be too late and I would regret it all my life."

I was surprised. I wiggled and freed my arm to put it around his waist. I pulled him tightly close to me. "Nat, we wasted many years. I never knew you had any interest in me. I've always been shy around you and Amos. You were my big brother's friends. You were older and wiser and all those things that young teens see in 'college' guys."

I looked at him and grinned. "You got Amos to call, didn't you?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.