08 Together - Cover

08 Together

Copyright© 2015 by Banzai Ben

Chapter 51

Present – Liz – in the tunnels.

After my huge fight with Bernie, I came back to the tunnels and Mabel served the taxi driver and me a huge amount of food. I was eating for two so I devoured most of it, but I did keep my senses about me since I didn't want to get fat.

The taxi driver comments, "Wow, I could get use to eating like this."

I smile and respond, "Mabel loves to cook and is excellent at her job."

Mabel comes over, clears our plates and says, "You two were hungry. Liz, I've never seen you eat that much food."

I smile and answer, "I guess you might be the only one that doesn't know - I'm eating for two."

Mabel grins and says, "You're wrong about that, Gretchen told everyone the good news. But where's Bernie so I can congratulate him?"

I frown at Mabel and complain, "Men! What is it about them that they think they own you?"

Mabel's face displays shock while she continues, "Don't tell me, you two had a little lover's spat."

I correct, "Spat hell! Bernie gave me an ultimatum so I gave him one right back and backed mine up with actions!"

The taxi driver appears to be uncomfortable as hell and interrupts, "Ms. Mabel is it? I wanted to say that was some of the best food I have ever eaten."

Mabel smiles at him and says, "Why thank you son, but I didn't get your name."

This makes me feel bad because he's been driving me all over hell and back and I don't know his name, I apologize, "I need to apologize to you because I never asked your name."

He laughs and says, "Ms. Morgan, it's right on the business card but I guess you missed it. My name is Rick."

Mabel saves me by offering, "Well Rick, I want you to know if you're ever in the area feel free to stop in for a meal."

Rick almost embarrasses himself when he gratefully says, "Wow! Are you certain of that?"

Mabel says, "Of course! I love cooking and it's even better when it's appreciated."

Rick offers, "Well Mabel, if you ever need a ride anywhere, feel free to call me." With a flourish he hands her one of his business cards.

Mabel says, "I sure will since I need to make regular trips into town or the airport to pick up groceries."

Gretchen comes into the dining room and asks, "Liz, are you ready for the meeting?"

Mabel interrupts, "Gretchen, can you give Rick access to the tunnels."

Gretchen logically asks, "Why does he need access to the tunnels?"

Mabel says, "Because he's going to be driving me to the market and to the airport to pick up the groceries so no one else will be bothered anymore. Plus he has a standing invitation from me to eat here anytime he wants."

Gretchen smiles and says, "I sure will, that's great news for all of us."

Mabel interjects, "You see Rick, no-one likes driving me to those places so you are a God send."

Gretchen says, "That's for sure! Liz why don't you give me about ten minutes to set Rick up in the system and give him a procedure manual, then meet me in the conference room."

Gretchen and Rick leave as Mabel says, "Well, I need to take care of some things." And I quickly found myself alone in the room. I wander back to my room and cry about my fight with Bernie: Things were going so well with us, why did he have to be so stupid?

I pull myself together, wash my face and head to the conference room...

Present – Glen – Hunting for Miranda

We leave the crime scene to the CBI. The instant we step outside the Sheriff explodes, "Those self-righteous pricks! We give them a hell of a lead and they throw crap back in our faces."

I attempt to calm the sheriff, "Dornt gie yer feaithers in a ruffle, ye did mess up th' crime scene some."

The Sheriff counters, "Like hell I did! You don't know shit about crime scene investigation."

I decide it's wiser to not infuriate him further so I change the subject, "Ah was wonderin' if ye coods gie me a ride it tae mah daughter's cabin."

The Sheriff again corrects me, "Glen, you need to get it through your head, it's still Ben's cabin. Come on let's go."

After a few minutes of travel I begin a conversation, "How do you know my son-in-law Ben?"

The Sheriff glances at me and asks, "Glen what the hell happened, you're talking normal all of a sudden?"

I laugh and answer, "Jim, my family was from Scotland and when I'm around Hammer for any length of time I begin to pick up his idiosyncrasies."

Jim makes a joke, "I would say they are more idiot-syncrasies."

We both get a good laugh out of it, then Jim begins, "Glen, Ben and I were best friends in high school, hell we were the only friends either of us had. Ben had a real son of a bitch for a father who beat the shit out of Ben all the time; sometimes it was so bad Ben had to miss school. I was so happy when he married Jennifer. If anyone deserved a break in life, he sure as hell did. And now – well shit I guess it wasn't meant to be."

His last few words made me feel even worse so I reply, "Jim, you're right, Ben deserves a better life and if you're willing, then I say we do everything we can to fix the situation."

Jim looks over at me, smiles and says, "Glen, I would say we have our work cut out for us. No one in the world is going to find Ben if he doesn't want to be found."

I remember how Destiny helped us at the wedding and countered, "Jim, there is one person that I know of that can always find Ben, the problem is I'm not sure how to contact her."

Jim laughs and replies, "So then I was right in the first place - we have no way to find Ben."

We arrive at the cabin and Jim asks, "I know there are tunnels under the cabin - do you know how to get into them? We can't go through the house because it's still a crime scene and I don't want another run in with the CBI."

I scan the area and remark, "I know that Jennifer wouldn't have just one entrance to the tunnels, what's that building on the hill?"

Jim replies, "That's the garage."

I request, "Well, it's worth a try."

Jim drives up to the garage but we no sooner get inside than the lights come on and three people are pointing weapons at us. One of them yells, "State your business or leave."

Jim is reaching for his shotgun but I advise caution, "Jim, that's not the thing to do right now, let me handle this."

I open the door on his truck, get out with my hands raised and announce, "I'm Glen Donaldson, Jennifer's father."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.