08 Together
Chapter 49

Copyright© 2015 by Banzai Ben

Present – Bernie and Liz – back in Leadville

Liz really doesn't understand my extreme hatred of living in the fucking tunnels - it makes me feel like some sort of rat or mole. When she mentions that we might move back in to support Jens, I glare at Liz and state, "Liz, if you move back into the fucking tunnels it will be without me. I'm staying right here in this hotel room until we buy a house."

Liz whines, "But Bernie, Jens is my best friend and needs..."

Without a lot of thought I interrupt her, " ... And what the fuck am I? Chopped fucking liver? Liz, it's time you make a decision, to support Jennifer or me."

I wait for the answer...

Bernie has really upset me with his craziness about not living in the tunnels! He delivers an ultimatum to me so I glare at him and answer, "Bernie, you know I love you. Hell, you're the father of our child! But you of all people should know, I won't tolerate an ultimatum. I am moving out of the hotel now and I hope to hell you have a wonderful life without me or our child."

Bernie tries to add some more, "Liz, don't be..."

I interrupt, " ... Bernie, I am not being the unreasonable person right now. It is you! Perhaps if you have some time on your own to think about it, you will see that I'm right."

I pick up the phone, call the front desk and ask them to come up and get my bags. I hang up and call my favorite taxi driver, tell him it's an emergency and ask him to pick me up at the hotel.

Bernie comes over to me, tries to hug me but I push him away and threaten, "Bernie, do not ever touch me again or I will have you arrested for assault."

Bernie starts to justify his actions but thank God the front desk person and the taxi driver show up before he can get up a full head of steam. The taxi driver asks, "Ma'am, you need a taxi?"

I smile and say, "Yes I certainly do. I need you to take me back to the Blaine cabin."

He asks an expected question, "And your husband to be?"

I emphatically declare, "He's sure as hell not coming with me!"

I point to my luggage and ask, "Do you mind taking this downstairs for me?"

The front desk worker asks another expected question, "Ms. Morgan, do you still wish to purchase the 'wedding' dress?"

I think for a moment, come up with an evil idea and answer, "I certainly would."

I see hope in Bernie's eyes until I dash it, "I would like you to leave it on the mannequin, bring it into this room and put it in the corner as a reminder of what should and could have been."

With that, I leave the room with the front desk worker and the taxi driver.

My phone rings several times. I look at it, it's Bernie and I'm sure as hell not answering his phone calls!

Once we're in the taxi the driver begins, "Ms. you and your husband-to-be seemed..."

I interrupt, "Son, you have been such a help to me, however right now is not the time for you to play amateur psychologist with me. Bernie delivered an ultimatum to me which I could not tolerate! What the hell is it about men that they think they own their women!"

The taxi driver slinks down in his seat at my admonition and thank God keeps his mouth shut. We arrive at the cabin and I ask, "Please drive to the garage and would it be possible for you to help me with my suitcase?"

He replies, "Of course Ms."

We walk up to the door leading into the tunnels, I enter my code and the door opens. The taxi driver's eyes grow big when he sees the tunnel complex. Gretchen meets us at the door, notices the taxi driver carrying my suitcase and asks, "Liz, I thought you were staying in town."

I wave my hand and answer, "Gretchen it's a long story which I don't want to go into right now. Please tell me Mabel is here and has some food..."

Gretchen interrupts, " ... Of course she is here and doesn't she always have food."

I look at the taxi driver and ask, "Have you eaten dinner tonight?"

He answers, "I was in the middle of my meal when you called me and I didn't get a chance to finish."

I apologize and offer, "Sorry about interrupting your meal, but I'm sure Mabel, our cook, has enough food for both of us."

Gretchen interjects, "Liz she probably has enough food for most of Leadville."

We move through the tunnels while the taxi driver remarks, "I've never seen anything like this. This is – well incredible."

We stop by my room, drop off my suitcase, head into the kitchen, Mabel sees me, runs over, gives me a big hug and says, "Liz you look wonderful, when are you due?"

I shake my head and reply, "Mabel, I won't know until I see a doctor. We're starving, do you have anything to eat."

Mabel answers, "Sit at the table and I will bring you two a feast."

We do as commanded, my phone rings again and of course it's Bernie. I don't answer the call because Mabel brings out an incredible amount of food, and since I'm eating for two...

As I yet again get Liz' voice mail my frustration builds some more. When I again mentally replay the whole scene from the beginning it suddenly occurs to me that Liz' original plan to drop everything and move into the tunnels was an ultimatum on her part. Without asking for my thoughts she just charged ahead and committed me to an action that I just couldn't take. For God's sake we are supposed to be partners in starting a family. Now fully depressed, I just laid back on the bed and stared at the ceiling...

Present – Glen – Hunting for Miranda

I had decided to find Miranda and make her pay for the damage she created with my daughter. However from the briefings I had read on Miranda and her sister Irina, I knew it was suicide to attempt retribution on the two of them by myself. So I returned to the Sheriff's office to bring Hammer with me.

Hammer rudely asks me, "Whit in th' bludy heel dae ye want?"

When I explain to him what Miranda did, Hammer gives me a funny look, laughs like crazy and says, "Sheriff, tak' me back tae th' ceel, aam nae gonnae anywhaur wi' thes dobber. Especially nae oan a suicide mission."

I begin to argue, "Hammer, dornt be a pain in th' crease! Ah need ye!"

Hammer reiterates, "Sheriff, Ah woods raither die in yer jail than gang anywhaur wi' thes dobber."

The Sheriff shrugs his shoulders and says, "Sorry Glen, if Hammer doesn't want out of the jail, I can't force him to leave."

He comes back and asks, "So Glen what are your plans now that they don't include Hammer."

I respond, "Aam still headin' it tae mah daughter's cabin tae see if Ah can fin' th' Miranda huir."

The Sheriff corrects, "Don't you mean Ben's cabin? I don't suppose you would like some company would you?" He pauses then continues, "Hell Glen, I almost forgot about it. Could you take a look at some items we found in one of the abandoned building and give me your thoughts about their origin?"

I reply, "Onie help woods be greatly appreciated."

He takes me into a back office and there on the table is para-military clothing. There is one very interesting set of body armor. I pick it up, look at it and exclaim, "Aam nae complete sure but thes looks loch th' body armur Miranda's sister Irina was wearin' when she cam in tae release th' other tois!"

I pick up the other body armor, smell it and the Sheriff asks, "Glen what the hell are you doing?"

I explain, "Th' yoonger pregnant lassie hud oan a distintictife perfume. However, it's nae oan thes body armur."

I pick up the other set of body armor and excitedly remark, "Thes is it, thes is 'er body armur. Whaur did ye fin' it."

The Sheriff shakes his head and says, "I was concerned you would say that. I hate to tell you this Glen but I'm afraid someone has already beaten you to finding Miranda and Irina. All this was found at a crime scene."

I wonder, "Don't teel me they killed someain an' abandoned thaur clothin'."

The Sheriff shocks me when he says, "I don't think that's what happened. From the crime scene it looked like someone captured all of them and raped them multiple times. I'm waiting for CBI1 to come and help me with the scene."

1 CBI – Colorado Bureau of Investigation

I was thinking it couldn't happen to a nicer group of people then the Sheriff reminds me, "Glen, you're still a deputy and I could use some help on this."

I begrudgingly agree, "Ye ken Ah dornt want tae dae thes, but since yoo're a mukker ay Ben, Ah will help ye. Whit ur th' plans?"

He tells me then we head off together to the scene of the crime. When I arrive and witness what evidently happened I decide that no one should have that happen to them - not even the Miranda bitch.

Present – Stacy and Samantha – in town

Mary looks at me and I can't believe it when she suggests, "You know Stacy, you should consider running for Leadville city council."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.