08 Together - Cover

08 Together

Copyright© 2015 by Banzai Ben

Chapter 28

Flashback – Jack and Ben – The trip to hell ... Ramadi

The driver called back to me, "You two are Marines, correct?"

I replied, "Damn straight! I'm Sgt. Jack Reynolds, your gunner is Banzai Ben and Captain M is our wounded."

The driver laughed and said, "Shit! That explains a hell of a lot and also makes my job easier."

I had to ask, "What the hell does that mean?"

He continued with a chuckle, "You guys are legendary. Everyone heard you two were coming, even the fucking towelheads – hell, they already put a price on your heads. And it makes my job easier because I can drop you guys off at Shark Base which is right outside Camp Ramadi. If you were Army I would have to figure a way to get you to the east, west or south part of the city. It also explains why your gunner is so damn good."

I commented, "So the Marines are coming in from the north of Ramadi."

He added, "The Marines and the Seals. They have some damn good snipers who can't wait to meet the two of you."

I felt good that we were famous but didn't like the fact we were infamous - hell, every towelhead in the city would be gunning for us.

Then he gave me a bit of information that worried me more than just a little, "We've been battling a hell of a good sniper named Mustafa who's been taking a huge toll on our men. They say he's from Syria and used to be on their Olympic rifle team."

As suddenly as the firing started earlier, it stopped and the driver remarked, "Well, thanks to you two we made it. This is Shark Base and there are medivac choppers waiting for your Captain and my gunner."

Banzai ducked inside the Humvee and said...

"Damn, that was some fierce fighting."

The driver heaped on the praise, "And thanks to your excellent shooting we made it! Hell, I'll be a driver for you any day of the week."

I replied, "You did a great job driving."

Then I turned to Jack and asked, "How are the other gunner and Captain M doing?"

Jack answered, "The gunner is still alive but I think he's in shock."

Captain M swore, "Unfortunately, I'm still god damn alive and I still can't feel my fucking legs."

I was pretty damn sure the Captain's spinal cord had been severed and he would never walk again, but I lied, "Shit Sir! It beats the hell out of pushing up daisies."

The Captain countered, "Like hell it does! If I turn up as a paraplegic, it's your and Sgt. Reynolds fault and you'll pay."

I didn't want to get into it with the Captain so I was glad when the driver stopped the Humvee. It was like we were met by a fucking swarm of locust. Marines came up to the Humvee, opened the doors and I yelled a caution, "Captain M has a broken back, we need a corpsman to move him."

The swarm parted, Colonel Maggie walked up, Jack and I jumped out of the back of the Humvee and we gave her our best salutes. She returned the salute and said, "You three look like a hundred miles of bad roads."

Jack answered, "Well Sir! That was about how many miles of towelheads we fought through to get here."

The corpsmen came up to take care of Captain M, Colonel Maggie motioned me to the side and asked, "Is it as bad as I heard?"

I looked down, shook my head and said, "Probably worse. I think his back was pulverized. Even worse than that he blames me and Jack for it."

Colonel Maggie tried to offer comfort, "Of course he would blame the two of you - he's sure not going to take responsibility for it himself. It's a shame since he was a good officer and showed some great prospects. Now they will stabilize him here then ship him out to Germany."

Jack limped up, Colonel Maggie watched him and demanded, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

Jack gave her a fake smile (which she didn't notice) and lied, "Nothing that a little time won't heal. The MRI showed that I strained the hell out of my back."

She looked at the two of us and said, "Unfortunately, time is the one thing we don't have. We need you two on missions as soon as you get your rooms, clean up and grab some chow."

Jack surprised me when he said, "Yeah, I heard we're having our asses handed to us by a Syrian sniper by the name of Mustafa

Colonel Maggie answered, "Yeah, he's damn good and is taking down too many of our men. But we have others hunting for him. We have a special mission for the two of you."

She turned and ordered, "Corporal, take the Sgts. to their rooms, make sure they get cleaned up, fed and then bring them to C&C1."

1 C&C – Command and Communication.

The Corporal lead the way, I looked at Jack and said, "Damn, we aren't even getting a chance to wind down. And what the hell are you doing lying about your back."

Jack glared at me and answered, "Come on Banzai, you know if I told her the truth about my back, I'd be benched and you'd be working with a new spotter. And if this fucking Mustafa asshole is as good as I heard, now is sure as hell not the time to be breaking in a new spotter."

I said, "Okay Jack, but we need to figure out just how many of the meds you can take and still function."

Flashback – Masha – child care

I was shocked when the police officers drove me to the market, helped Linda and me out of the car, retrieved her stroller from the trunk and even helped me to get her into the stroller. The one officer smiled again and said, "Ms., if you need anything at all do not hesitate to call us."

I replied, "Thank you very much, how much do I owe you?"

He laughed and said, "Nothing, it was great meeting you. Have a nice day."

They drove away and I was shocked! I walked into the market, Louise saw me and asked, "Masha, is everything okay? You arrived in a police car!"

We went back to the employee break room and sat at the lunch table. Louise brought over some food from the microwave and we began to eat. Then I looked at her, explained everything which transpired on our way to visit her and asked, "Louise, is this the normal way the police act in your country?"

She smiled and answered, "Sometimes yes and other times no, it really depends on the officers that you meet." She leaned close and continued, "Some of them are real assholes. I don't know how many times they've stopped me about my car and tried to give me a ticket. Many times I can smile at them and get out of it. Other times – well I have to do things for them I don't really enjoy doing."

I was shocked and decided I was very lucky to have met two of 'the better' type of officers. But I still didn't trust them and if any of them wanted one of 'the other' things I would use my skills to alter their attitude.

I questioned, "Couldn't you go to their superiors when they wanted those 'things'?"

Louise said, "No way! If I did that then every officer in the city would be out to get me."

I realized that in some ways, and not necessarily good ways, America and Russia were similar.

Louise changed the subject, "Masha is your husband a Marine?"

I replied, "Yes, he is but he is currently deployed."

She asked, "Have you ever been to the BX?"

I gave her a questioning look and asked, "What is a BX?"

Louise answered, "BX stands for Base Exchange - it's a store where only military personnel and their family can shop. They have some great deals on food and other items."

I replied, "Jack wasn't here long enough to show me the BX."

Louise offered, "Sometime, if you would like, we could go there together."

I questioned, "Is it legal for you to go to the BX?"

Louise answered, "Only if I accompany you. Perhaps we could go on my next day off?"

That seemed like an excellent idea so I replied, "I think that would be great."

Louise looked at the clock and said, "Well, I need to get back to work. Thanks for bringing Linda by."

She gave Linda a big kiss, hugged me and walked us out of the store. Thankfully the police car wasn't in the parking lot when I exited. I hurried home while I kept looking over my shoulder...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.