The Farm Legacy - Cover

The Farm Legacy

Copyright© 2015 by Kaffir

Chapter 16

Shearing and weaning came and went. Hal went with Diana to collect her parents for a further week's stay. If she went on her own she would have felt it necessary to go back to her old tiny little room at their house. Instead the two of them went back to the Arkwrights who were delighted to see them again.

It was a happy week. Edna was thrilled with the lambs particularly when Diana's bottle-fed one came for a cuddle with her. Diana also took her into Pitsbury and bought her some new clothes. Edna might have lost her figure but her regained happiness and smile and her brighter clothes made her look really quite pretty again. Harry responded which bucked her up even more.

They were taken to dinner at the pub on the Friday night and were treated warmly by everyone, especially a fellow Yorkshireman from Hull. They found a country pub something very different from their local city one and enjoyed that too.

It was a good summer. The spring rain continued until the end of June which meant well grained corn. From the beginning of July it was dry and sunny staying so throughout August which meant harvesting was complete by the end of the month including the storage of bales which, not surprisingly, went without accident.

Diana gave up the pill in mid-August. At the end of September she told Hal that she had missed her period. Hal was thrilled as were his parents. So actually was Diana but she played it down.

"I haven't done a test but I'm normally pretty regular. Let me talk to Mrs Coleman."

She did and was called in almost immediately. She was pregnant. Both families were delighted and Hal was ecstatic.

Theresa Coleman talked her through screening tests and ante-natal appointments. She told Diana who her midwife would be and that she would be in contact in the next few days. She stressed that Diana could always contact her and that she would maintain close contact with the midwife, Julia Soames.

"I don't want to worry you," she said, "but the first eleven weeks are the most likely for a miscarriage so if you're feeling bad contact Julia or me immediately."

Diana nodded. "I'm fit. I'm happy. I'm loved by my husband and his family and, as things stand, I'm not stressed or anything."

"So there should be no problems."

There were none. Inevitably there was morning sickness but nothing more. She and Hal collected her parents for Christmas and the New Year. Edna was a new person, happy, a little thinner and showing energy and enthusiasm. Everyone, particularly Harry and Diana, was delighted.

At the end of January Diana underwent a scan which showed nothing irregular but showed to everyone's delight that the baby was a boy. Hal though was concerned for its safety.

"Diana sweetheart," he said, "I think it's time you gave Lysander and his lot a miss."

"Rubbish! They'd never do me or the baby any harm."

"Not on purpose but one of them might accidentally barge into you and knock you over. You know they can be a bit skittish."

"They've never done so yet."

"But you did fall one day."

"That was my fault. I tripped and they all moved back to let me get up again. I was fine."

"I know. You told me but you weren't pregnant. What if you pitched forward and fell on the baby?"

"I could do that anywhere."

"Yes, my love, but a lot less likely when you're not in a tussocky field."

"You're serious, aren't you, my Hal?"

"Very."

"OK. I'll be a good girl."

"Thank you, my darling."

"Fusspot," she grinned and kissed him, "but my caring fusspot."

"Loving caring fusspot."

"Mm and I love you too."

"So," said Helen that evening as they gathered in the kitchen, "now you know it's a boy what are you going to call him?"

"Hercules knowing Diana's love of classical heroes," suggested Nick.

Diana growled at him. "They are reserved for my bullocks," she retorted and waved a wooden spoon threateningly at him.

Nick grinned happily at her. "Alfred the Great, William the Conqueror, Richard the Lionheart?"

"And known as Alf, Bill or Dick," Diana retorted.

"Well that's those out of the way. Just wanted to clear your mind a bit."

Diana dipped him a curtsey and stuck the tip of her tongue out at him.

The family laughed and that conversation stopped for the time being but it cropped up again as Hal and Diana were getting ready for bed.

"Have you got any names in mind," Hal asked.

Diana shook her head. "Your wretched father! All I can think of are his crackpot suggestions and Tom, Dick and Harry."

Hal chuckled. "Well, let's drop it for the moment and both of us ponder over the next few days. Anyway, I've got more important things on my mind."

"I bet you have. One track mind!" She nestled up against him.

Over the next few days each would suggest a name or two and Diana listed them. They ended up with Hugo (goes well with deLaix but a bit pretentious, Hal), Robin (bit twee, Diana), Edward (Diana was doubtful), Thomas (great-great grandfather and the one the farm was left to, good idea, Hal), Frank (like that, Hal), Benjamin (Diana wrinkled her nose). In the end they plumped for Frank. Nick and Helen thought it was a good choice too.

Diana could not keep away from her bullocks but she obeyed Hal and merely talked to them over the gate. There were normally three or four always including Lysander with their heads over it. It was first come first served and none was keen to give up his place and there was always a bit of pushing and shoving.

One morning towards the end of April and right in the middle of lambing after taking the men their mid-morning thermos of coffee Diana nipped up to the Triangle to talk to her boys. There was the usual jostling for attention. Diana was frustrated. She longed to calm them and move slowly among them.

"It's dry and not at all slippery and there are no tussocks to trip over near the gate. Hang it! I'm going in."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.