The Farm Legacy - Cover

The Farm Legacy

Copyright© 2015 by Kaffir

Chapter 7

The week went by quickly and happily for both of them. Diana spent much of her time in the shop and baking. The vegetables were over so there was nothing to do there. She found herself making sure she was in the kitchen for Hal's mid-morning coffee and at lunch time. He had not got a lot to do and his coffee breaks became protracted as they chatted on easily.

They both looked forward to their evenings. Hal played her more classical music and Diana really enjoyed it. On Tuesday though Diana asked if he'd got any videos. They riffled through them and she pounced on West Side Story.

"I know the songs but I've never watched it," she said.

"Well let's do that. It'll make a change."

They swung the sofa back to its normal position and were soon engrossed. During the finishing part of 'Tonight' as the lovers part Diana gave a little sniff. Hal glanced at her and saw tears trickling down her cheek.

"You OK?" he asked gently.

She bit her lip and nodded.

Hal kept half an eye on her though and, when the fight started and she started wringing her hands he covered them with one of his. She grabbed it and hung on to it nor did she let it go. The end brought more tears. He gently loosened her grip on her hand and put his arm round her shoulders. She leant into him reaching for his other hand.

Hal was now totally out of his depth and just sat stock still and silent but inexplicably happy.

At length Diana gave a shudder and looked up at him but she made no attempt to pull away.

"Thank you, Hal," she murmured. "It just got to me ... that strong, tender and precious love ... wasted ... wasted through human viciousness and stupid racialism."

Hal remained silent but he thought, 'and she ascribes her husband's death to viciousness and stupid religiousness.'

Diana confirmed that. "And now it's vicious and misguided religious zealotry," she spat.

Her head went down again.

Hal's arm involuntarily tightened slightly. He restrained himself from kissing the top of her head. "Where did that idea come from?" he asked himself. "Pull yourself together or you'll really upset her."

"I think you could do with a cuppa or a swig of brandy," he said gently.

Her head came up again. "Is there any?"

"Brandy?"

"Mm."

"I think so. Sit up and I'll go and have a look."

She reached up and touched his cheek. "Thanks, Hal." She sat back up properly and Hal reluctantly removed his arm and went off to look in the sideboard in the dining-room.

When he returned triumphantly with two glasses Diana had vanished. He sat down again and waited for her to come back which she did almost immediately.

"Went and washed my face," she announced sitting down beside him again.

"I guessed," he smiled handing her a glass.

"Thanks." She took a sip. "Mmm! Er, Hal, would you put your arm round me again. It was comforting."

"Of course."

He did so and she shifted up against him. "Thanks," she smiled up at him and then laid her head against his shoulder. They sat in contented silence for several minutes taking an occasional sip of their drinks.

"I think," said Hank eventually, "a Chopin nocturne or two would be a good idea but stay where you are. I'm not going to move the sofa round again."

"OK."

He gently released her, stood up and put a CD on to play quietly. He sat down beside her again and picked up his glass. Without a word Diana picked up his arm, ducked underneath it and resumed their former position.

"Do you mind?" she asked almost shyly.

"Far from it."

There was a further silence until the first nocturne finished. "Wow!" whispered Diana. "That was beautiful and so romantic."

"Wait 'til the one after this," Hal whispered back.

She did listening spellbound. "Double wow," she smiled up at him, "but I think we ought to call it a day. It's gone eleven."

"Yes, ma'am." He pressed the stop and then the eject buttons. "Ooph! My arm's gone to sleep." He bent and straightened it a few times before standing up and offering his hands to pull Diana to her feet. She took them and smiled warmly at him.

"Better now?" he asked.

"Yes, Hal, and thanks. I'd better go and wash these glasses while you lock up. Where do they go?"

"Left hand cupboard of the side-board. You'll see the others."

"'Kay."

Five minutes later they went upstairs together. Diana turned to him outside his room, reached up and gave him a peck on the lips. "Thanks again, Hal. Night-night." She turned and continued to her own room.

Hal got ready for bed in a dream. Not only had Diana snuggled up to him for comfort when she had clearly been overwhelmed by the film but she had come back for more. Was she getting keen on him? He could hardly believe that. It was just that the film had reminded her of her and her husband's love and a reassuring arm round her shoulders had been a comfort. What about the kisses though? Gratitude, no more than that. He did like holding her though with her slim, soft body and the smell of her hair. Oh well!

Diana was thoughtful too. Hal really was a sweet, gentle young man, comforting too. He had tried no more than that either, bless his heart. She was still not ready for any form of romance and even with his shyness she reckoned he was aware of that. 'Young' was right too. He was at least seven years younger than her but he was a lot more mature than most young men of his age. Oh well!

Breakfast was the usual quiet and hurried meal but Hal did ask with a warm smile whether she was OK now.

She smiled equally warmly back. "Yes thanks, much. What have you got on today?"

"Mending fences round the Triangle."

"Would you like me to bring you coffee?"

"Would you? Are you sure you've got time?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.