The Farm Legacy - Cover

The Farm Legacy

Copyright© 2015 by Kaffir

Chapter 4

Diana never neglected her work but she did make an effort to join Hal whenever he was off to see the bullocks or the lambs. As the harvest drew nearer she wanted to know what they grew and what it was used for. She took an interest in the machinery. She climbed up onto the combine and looked down inside while Hal explained what each compartment did. She gazed at the round baler.

"How big are the bales?" she asked.

"Five foot diameter and six foot across. They weigh little short of a ton," replied Hal.

"I've seen them in the fields. What happens if there's a slope?"

"They run away."

"They must be lethal."

"Can be. There was a chap in Devon a few years back as was killed when one ran away and crushed his van. That's why we always eject on level ground."

"I bet. What happens if a bale gets stuck in the baler?"

"Dad says some very naughty words."

Diana laughed. "Seriously."

"Well the first thing you do is steer well clear of it and then you put everything at 'Stop. Safe': drive disconnected and engine off. You don't take chances with balers. Next you lock the tailgate up. After that you push, shove and lever until the bale rolls free."

Diana nodded. "You say you don't take chances. Are balers particularly dangerous?"

"Not if you respect them and stick to the safety rules but there have been quite a number of pretty serious accidents; arms and legs chopped off and even death."

Diana looked thoughtful. "Hmm," was all she said.

Once the harvest started Diana's routine became similar to that of lambing but at least both men were in the same field and she watched enthralled. One field had a valley running diagonally across it and she watched with interest as Hal manoeuvred the baler so that it ejected into the bottom of the valley. He invited her up into the cab and gave her a running commentary as he drove along a windrow and then ejected a number of bales. She was fascinated. She also realised with a measure of relief that Hal did not take any chances if there was a malfunction.

Most of the bales were sold, some singly or in twos and threes to horse owners, including Colonel and Mrs Pennicott at The Manor. These were delivered by Nick and Hal as they were all fairly local. Riding schools and stables bought in larger quantities. Generally they were collected. A complete barnful was retained for feeding their own livestock over the winter. The rest was collected by a contractor who came with his own transport and loading equipment.

The retained bales were moved to a rather dilapidated barn up the lane from the farmyard. Bales were lifted using a tractor with a front loader. Both men took turns at this. The bales were stacked lengthways so that the sides of the barn retained them from rolling. The first three tiers were easy as the operator could see where he was placing the bales. It was less so after that as he could not see his load for the last two or three feet. Accordingly the non-operator would go up a ladder with a whistle. One long blast meant the bale was correctly positioned and could be lowered. Two blasts meant release. A series of short 'panic' blasts meant hold everything followed by a quick mobile phone conversation.

Diana found this a pretty mundane operation and she did not spend much time at the barn. On the third afternoon the telephone rang. It was Nick.

"Diana, It's Nick. Hal's had a bad fall and hurt his back. I've called for an ambulance. Can you tell Helen and then go out into the lane and wait for it. I've told them where we are but they may try to come into the farm so direct them on up to us."

Diana fought to remain calm. Hal must have fallen ten or fifteen feet. "OK," she said. "Is he in a lot of pain?"

"No, he banged his head and is unconscious as well."

"Oh God!"

"Go and do what I asked, love, and don't let Helen come up here."

"OK, Nick!"

She ran to the shop and told Helen who went white as a sheet. "I must go to him," she said.

"No, Helen," Diana said softly. "Nick asked me to make you stay here."

"But I must go to him. I'm his mother!"

"No, Helen, please don't. Nick's his father and your husband and he was very firm that I was not to let you go up there. Millie, please keep her here and give her a cuppa. I've got to go and stand in the lane to point the ambulance in the right direction."

They both led Helen to a chair at the back where Millie did as Diana had asked. She put a comforting arm round Helen's shoulders and tried softly to reassure her.

Diana raced back to the gate to wait for the ambulance. She reckoned it would come from Misborough rather than Pitsbury so it should not be too long. It was only five minutes but it seemed like five hours to Diana. The crew had clearly taken in the directions and the driver merely raised a hand in acknowledgement as the ambulance raced past.

Nick had been right not to let Helen come up to the barn. He knew not to move Hal who lay spread-eagled on his back, unconscious, white as a sheet and breathing shallowly. He had not seen how it happened but just Hal falling and landing. He had been three bales up so had fallen fifteen feet. He could not be but seriously injured. He rang for the ambulance trying to keep calm and the same with Diana. He was quite clear too that Helen must not see Hal like this. He struggled to get himself under full control and then moved the tractor well away so that the ambulance would have unrestricted access. He stood there trying not to fear the worst. Hal must not die or be permanently incapacitated if only to carry on the de Laix legacy. He winced. The future health and happiness of his son was all that really mattered.

The ambulance arrived and the crew quickly took in what had happened. They neither commiserated or commented but quickly and efficiently stabilised Hal and moved him into the ambulance. The leader told Nick gently that there was no point in ringing Accident and Emergency for at least two hours. Nick offered him a card which he took with a smile. Then they were gone.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.