Valentines Day Dinner - Cover

Valentines Day Dinner

by DG Hear

Copyright© 2015 by DG Hear

Romantic Story: A short non-erotic story about a widower raising two teen age daughters

Tags: Romantic  

There is no sex in this story, hence non-erotic. It is a short story but I hope you find it to be a good read.

I was sitting on the couch watching a ball game when I knew something was up. My twin thirteen year old daughters came in the room smiling and each sat beside me.

"Ok girls, what are you two up to now?"

Kerry and Sherry were the loves of my life. When I talk to them they often talk at the same time and even finish each others sentences. They have double teamed me for years knowing I would do anything for them.

Kerry spoke first but Sherry kept interjecting. "Dad, don't get mad but we have a surprise for you." I knew this was something different when I heard the word surprise. Their surprises always got me involved in something that I would have preferred not to do.

They seem to volunteer me for everything. I've been a softball coach in the summer, an assistant girl scout leader for the past three years and God know what else they've involved me in. You might ask why am I so vulnerable for them?

They lost their mother when they were nine, four years ago. She was way to young to die but she got the dreaded cancer and after two years of fighting it she succumbed to it. It was one of the saddest days of my life. I had two of the sweetest little girls who no longer had a mother.

One of the saddest things was they were worried about me. I remember them telling me that they would always be there to take care of me, and they were. I have to say it was rough at first but until we learned to cook we ate out a lot. They were always happy to go see my mom who always cooked for us when we visited, which was a couple of times a week.

Whenever there were volunteers needed at school or church my sweet darling daughters put my name down on the list. It was funny when they put our name down for a bake sale. We made three cakes together that didn't turn out to bad. At least someone might have felt sorry for the cakes and bought them. I know it always brought me and the girls closer.

A number of times they tried to get me dates but I told them that it was something I would need to do on my own when I was ready. It didn't stop them from talking about different women at church or whenever we went out for dinner.

The women in their life was my mom and sister. Thank God for them when it came to the girl stuff. It was things I wasn't sure how to deal with. I did make a rule that they weren't allowed to date till they were at least fifteen. I remember them asking why I didn't trust them and I told them I did trust them but not the boys. I was a boy at one time and I knew how boys think.

"So, what is this big surprise that I'm not to get mad about?"

Sherry spoke, "First, we want you to tell us why you don't care much for Valentine's Day. Then we'll tell you what the surprise is."

"Oh no! What did you girls do now?"

They were both smiling. "Tell us why you don't care much for Valentine's day first. Aunt Kathy told us it had to do with an old girlfriend," Kerry replied.

I turned off the TV and talked with my two daughters who were all ears. "When I was in grade school I was a chubby little kid. To be fair to all the kids our teacher had us give Valentine cards to everyone if we wanted to participate in the exchange. In art class we decorated our shoe boxes with hearts and flowers or in my case, Star Wars stickers.

"Sally Ann was the cutest girl in our class and every boy gave her the nicest card. Brad a bully in our class laughed at me when I put my nicest card in Sally Ann's box. He said she didn't want a card from a chubby little boy."

"So what happened Dad?" asked Sherry.

"Julie happened. She was my best friend, not my girlfriend or anything like that; she was my pal and next door neighbor. She pushed Brad down and told him if he ever pushed me again she'd kick his butt. I know I should have been glad but I was embarrassed because I had a girl fighting for me."

"So what happened next Dad?"

"I knew I never had a chance with Sally Ann but it was embarrassing having Julie fighting my battles, which she did a few times. I got over it after a couple of days. Julie and I did everything together. We went to the movies most every weekend. We liked going to the zoo and different amusement parks. Mom used to say we were stuck together like Siamese Twins. I went on vacation with her family and she often came with me on ours.

I remember when I turned eleven mom told me to leave my bedroom door open when Julie and I did our homework. I must have been really sheltered because I didn't know why, Julie and I were just pals."

My girls started laughing. My sister must have talked to them already about boys.

"As we got older I got bigger and started exercising. Needless to say I noticed Julie was turning into a good looking girl. The first time I kissed her was when we were fifteen and it was under the mistletoe at a New Years Eve party at her house.

"All of a sudden I thought I was in love and then came Valentine's Day and Julie gave me a goodbye Valentine's card. She said her dad got transferred to another State and she was moving in a week."

My girls looked sad. "Did you ever see her again Dad?"

"No, I guess she was my first girlfriend and I didn't even know it till it was too late. I didn't date much so after Julie moved Valentine's Day didn't mean much to me. I met your mom when I started college. We got married and you girls were born. Then I would buy your mom, but mostly you girls, something for Valentine's day."

"Dad, we know mom got pregnant before you two got married. We also know you quit college and got a job at the warehouse to support us and went back to college part time. You should have worn a condom, Dad," said Kerry. Sherry was shaking her head in agreement.

I had to laugh. My teenage daughters are telling me what I should have done. I told them that I loved their mother and yes, I should have worn protection but then I wouldn't have had the two sweetest girls ever.

I told them that Valentine's Day isn't quite the same without a partner. I loved having it for my girls and every year I got them a card, candy and a stuffed animal. I didn't expect this year would be any different.

"It might be, Dad. We bought you a date for Valentine's Day."

"You did what!" I asked. "Why would you do such a thing?"

"The school is having a Valentine's Day dinner for the parents and or couples that wanted to come. Our club got together and made the plans to help raise money for our school project. Tickets are twenty-five dollars a couple and it includes dinner and a dance afterwards. Sherry and I are both servers so we will be there for you."

"This is one of the craziest things you girls have done. Where did you girls get the money and who is my supposed date?"

"We're going to use our allowance but we were hoping you would give it back to us," smiled Sherry when she said it.

"So who's my date if I choose to go through with this?"

"Mrs. Pelfry, she is one of our new teachers at the school. She is our club leader and came up with the idea of the Valentine's Day dinner. We found out she was divorced last year and transferred to our school district."

"Are you saying she agreed to go on a blind date with me?"

"Sort of," replied Kerry. "Since she was in charge and it was her idea we asked her if she would go to the dinner with our dad if he bought tickets. She seemed lost for words but we told her our mother died a few years ago and you like to attend all our functions but didn't have a girlfriend to attend the dinner with."

"So you bribed her to go with your poor dad. You do realize this makes me look pretty pathetic."

"Dad, she's beautiful and smart and we like her a lot. She actually smiled when we asked her. She said she would go for the good of the club as long as you agreed to it."

Of course this is where they kept saying please, please and hugged me and told me what a wonderful dad I was. "Look, you girls shouldn't have done this."

"But Dad, we want you to be happy. It's just dinner with a beautiful and smart woman that we both like. That's a good thing, right?" asked Sherry.

"Ok, I'll go but please ask me first if this ever happens again." I knew it went in one ear and out the other.

"Thank you daddy, you're going to love her; she's so nice. We'll tell her tomorrow." They hugged me and went back in their room to make more plans for me.

Before the week was over I had to have a hair cut and the girls wanted to go shopping and since they didn't drive I had to take them. I couldn't believe they had me trying on a sports jacket, shirt and even a tie. I actually felt like I was being groomed. I ended up buying the clothes; as I said, I would do most anything for my girls.

The day of the dinner my girls were dressed like waitresses and I put on my new sports coat. I asked them if we were going to pick up their teacher and they told me she said she would meet us over at the school. I asked what her first name was and they said they didn't know. She put her name on the board as Mrs. JP Pelfry. They always were to call her Mrs. Pelfry.

We went to the school and I waited in the lobby while my daughters went back to finish help setting up the cafeteria and gym. They were gone most of the morning helping decorate the gym. They just had the finishing touches to do now. There were dozens of people waiting to go in. Most everyone was dressed up. I was glad the girls were smarter about these things than I was.

I saw a lot of couples that I knew. Most of them knew I was a widower, in fact a few of the women that I saw I had gone out on a date or two with. They were with their new dates. I kind of had to smile because my daughters had mentioned that some of these women weren't right for me and here I was out on a date that they set up.

Sherry came out to see me and said Kerry would be out shortly with Mrs. Pelfry. I know this sounds crazy but I was nervous. I didn't want my girls' teacher to not like me. They had me buy a box of chocolates and a nice card to give to my date. These girls didn't forget anything. Sherry whispered to me, "Dad, I need the money for the tickets. I reserved them for you."

I had to laugh as I reach in my wallet and gave Sherry the money. She went up to the guest table, gave them my money and retrieved my tickets so I didn't have to stand in line.

I heard Kerry come up and say, "Dad, this is Mrs. Pelfry."

I turned around and my mouth about dropped open. In turn my date went from a nice smile to a look of surprise. "Oh my God! Julie, is it really you?" I couldn't believe that after all these years that I would be able to recognize Julie so easy. Damn, she was beautiful.

"David, David Miller, I never thought about your last name when I met Sherry and Kerry in my classes. After all Miller is a rather popular name. If this isn't fate, I don't know what is."

"Dad, is Mrs. Pelfry the same Julie you told us about the other night. The one you said was your first girlfriend that you really liked?" ask Kerry.

"Kerry, I think you've said enough." Julie was smiling. "Yes she is the Julie I spoke about, in private, to my daughters. Don't you two have work to do?"

"You girls better go help and start serving. Your dad and I will be sitting at our table near the front. Remember to smile and act friendly to all the guests."

"Yes, Mrs. Pelfry," said my girls. "Have a nice time Dad," they said as they left smiling. I handed her the box of candy and the card.

"How thoughtful, thank you," replied Julie.

I didn't know whether to tell her it was the girls idea or just let it go. I let it go.

We were led to our table and sat down. A lot of people watched us, I guess because Julie was a teacher and those that knew me knew I was a widower. Julie did have a wedding ring on her finger. She told me she wears it when she goes out so she gets hit on a lot less.

I had to smile because I could see that happening. We started our conversation with me telling her about my past. She told me how much she liked my daughters who, I might say, kept stopping by our table asking us if we needed anything.

I told Julie I never dated much and about starting college and my girlfriend getting pregnant and we got married. After the twins were born I went back to college part time to improve my future for my family. I was now the manager of the warehouse I started at.

I explained that I loved my wife and how she found out she had cancer and it overtook her after two years. She passed away four years ago and left me with my two wonderful daughters. They were my life now. I probably had tears in my eyes because Julie took my hand and held it.

 
There is more of this story...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.