A Fine Life - Cover

A Fine Life

Copyright© 2015 by Lapi

Chapter 3

Sam rode in backseat of the Honda with Princess. It was the first time she was that close to him, and she seemed to listen to what he said to her and was not afraid.

“I knew Samantha could use a newer car so we got her one. For Julie, I promised she would have a place to stay and to be able to go to school if she wanted. Now she has a little money to get started. My accountant will take care of the details when I call him. It looks like Samantha will be living with Julie, so that helps her, too. That’s why I gave her some extra money to start over with until things get set up.”

“What about me, can I stay with you?”

“Oh, Honey, I wish you could, but I don’t know how we could do that!”

Her face fell as much as her head.

“I’ll do everything you say. Please let me stay.”

I tried to change the subject. “After we eat, we are going to another bank and try to open up an account for each of you. You may be a bit young, my Princess, but we will try. If we can’t I’ll give you something you will be able to use to get money when I go away.” Her reaction to that statement was not what I expected. It was the wrong thing to say.

I was starting to get misty now, almost as badly as she was wailing. I got looks from the girls.

“What? I’m not going to lie to her. I will try everything I can to find her a good home before I leave. I’ll take her anyplace we can think of that may lead us to where she was taken from.”

“And what if they just ... just... ?”

It was left unsaid. I knew what they wanted to say but did not even want to think about those possibilities. Her parents could be dead, just had let her go, or even no longer wanted her if she had been a ‘slave’.

If I ever thought this was going to be simple and easy, I was mistaken. That was not even close, it was going to be near impossible.

I wanted to say something, anything even, to make Princess feel better. I did something instead. Something that came as naturally as taking a breath. I held out my arms. As she ran into them, I hugged, held her close then said, Mia At-ééd. (My girl, in Navajo) How or why that came to me I had no idea. I did not know or speak Navajo.

She buried her face in my chest. She was taller than I thought or I had gotten shorter. She said something. It sounded like, “Squaw now, no longer a silly little girl.”

I called Bob here in Arizona, told him roughly what I was thinking of doing. To my great surprise he did not think anything would be much of a problem. The bank he was thinking of had a special program for kids as young as six. He or I could be a trustee for Princess if she had to withdraw a hundred dollars or more, but other than that we could make that work. As far as being a guardian, there were several options. Princess could elect to change being Native American, (Fat chance of that happening) and we could apply to Child Services to have me named as guardian. I would stand a better chance if I was married, though. I could visit a local Indian reservation, petition them to appoint me her guardian; or even a wife, as soon as she turned thirteen. I could pay a ‘bribe’ and buy her as a ‘slave.’ It was done in the Southwest a lot, especially if I took her to Mexico. Gee, fine choices, I now knew why this country was screwed up, a real ‘FUBAR’ even. If she was a bit older there were several other options. I asked him what some might be, I was not liking what he had been telling me.

“In Arizona and some other States, Native Americans can have dual citizenships. They lose a few rights on the Native American side, like any right to future compensation for broken treaties, but gain citizenship in the US. That means if we can prove to a judge that she has enough money to care of herself until she is eighteen, without being a burden on the State, she can be emancipated. You can do other things too in Canada, Mexico, South America and a few more places for less money and loss of her rights as Native American. Again go see a chief, ask him; but the fastest, easiest and least costly way is marry her when she is thirteen, or make her a slave. The Saudi’s do it all the time.”

The call was on speaker. Julie, Samantha and Princess heard it all. I had said that I would not tell Princess any lies. I was sort of sorry now I said that. Bob had not given me any answer as what to do, the next thing was like putting the nails in my coffin. This from Princess.

“I think I turned thirteen, last week!”

Oh my God! Now she just smiled at me, or was it a grin. Damn, damn, damn, this was not the solution I was looking for!

“No, Princess, No.”

Julie had to pipe up. “Methinks the man dost protest too much!”

I called Bob back, this time not on speaker. I asked for the names of any Chiefs that I ... excuse me, that ‘we’ could speak with, and an idea of what might constitute ‘taking care of herself’ for five years.

He gave me three names then said, “If she has $200,000 or so in a bank, and she got it before she was a citizen, after taxes; then showing she had $30-$40,000 a year to spend, ought to do it. Even better if there was a trust or grant that extended beyond the five years.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.