Guerilla
Chapter 2: Ill Met by Torchlight

Copyright© 2015 by Zipper D Dude

Rear Admiral Bob Blake welcomed his guest, "Dr. Singh, thank you for taking the time to visit us here. How was your trip from Azahar?"

"It is my great pleasure to be here, Admiral, though I must confess that the trip was somewhat tedious. At least it allowed my team to get caught up on documenting our recent experiments. I am only too happy to present our suggestions for your fascinating problems in person."

"I'm all ears, Doctor."

"You gave us two problems, sir. Firstly the passive nature of the Hive Spheres under construction that you wish to target and secondly the lack of potential for secondary explosions in such partially complete targets. We decided that the first problem has the higher priority, because if we can't even hit the target then any secondary explosions are moot. We propose to solve the first problem by changing the target from a passive to an active target."

Bob raised an eyebrow to question the doctor.

"We suggest using a laser to illuminate the target, so we can use missiles with simple active seeker guidance to home in on it. That means that the target is no longer passive, solving the first problem of how to hit it."

"There are some issues for further clarification, but in principle I can see that target illumination could be useful. What about the second problem, Doctor?"

"I am afraid our solution to that difficulty is rather less elegant, sir. We simply use brute force – an attack with a large number of missiles. If we cannot rely on secondary explosions in the target, then we have to compensate by causing more primary explosions with our own ordnance. It lacks elegance, but it is simple, and doable within the limits of what we can allow the Sa'arm to potentially capture.

"The obvious alternative was to use fewer missiles with larger warheads, but we decided to limit ourselves to the known power of existing Sa'arm warheads. Within that limit, the multiple missile solution is simplest. We always need to be wary of letting the Sa'arm capture something that they can turn round and use against us."

Bob thought for a second. "I can see two immediate practical problems. First, how do you protect the laser from attack? As soon as the Swarm see it they will try to destroy it. And second, how do you get all those missiles near enough to the target? Our fleet would be very vulnerable that close in. Our previous attack used stealth, and the entire fleet cannot be that stealthy."

Dr. Singh smiled. "We have ideas to solve both of those issues, sir. We have made more progress with the target illumination problem and have put together a paper with our thoughts: 'Aspects of stealthy long-range target illumination by laser.' Your AI has a copy. Our ideas for the delivery of the missiles still require some work, and we need a few experiments on the Sa'arm to determine some of the parameters required for a working solution."

"And how do you propose to experiment on the Sa'arm, Doctor?"

Dr. Singh smiled yet again, "We will throw rocks at them, sir."


The rock fell towards the primary, accelerating as the star's gravity pulled it inwards. For billions of years it had been just another piece of rock orbiting this star along with its many companions in the asteroid belt. This rock, however, was different. This rock had been nudged.

As the rock fell, the Swarm noticed it. They tracked it. They extrapolated its path. This particular rock was a bullseye, headed straight for the more complete of the two Hive Spheres they were constructing. The Sa'arm collective came to a decision, it was easier to move the partly completed Sphere a short distance than it was to destroy the rock or shift it into a different orbit. They started making preparations to move the Sphere to a safe distance. Such a thing could not be done instantly. Meanwhile, in the asteroid belt, other eyes were watching.

Captain McCluskie checked the sensor feeds. The Swarm were moving their Sphere away from the path of the rock. At its closest approach, the rock was 23.8 klicks from the Sphere. That was one of the figures the scientists wanted. Quite why it was so important she didn't know, but it was important enough to use an FTL message drone to carry the information back to base. Once the drone was on its way, her scout ship moved to a new position – no point in taking any needless risks. Launching the drone would probably be the most excitement she and her crew would have on this mission. Good. Excitement could be very bad news indeed for a scout.

Another rock was nudged. Slowly spinning on its axis, it fell towards the repositioned Hive Sphere. This second rock was just off a bullseye; it would pass 26 kilometres from the Sphere. Were the Swarm suspicious? Two close rocks was surely too much of a coincidence. Who can tell what the Swarm thought? All that the watchers could see was their reaction – they completely ignored the second rock. It would pass more than the 23.8 klicks from the Sphere, so they presumably considered it to be at a safe distance.

Ice filled the back of the pod; a carefully engineered arrangement of water ice and dry ice. A lot of cooling would be needed over a short time, and ice was a convenient way to provide it. Radiant cooling alone just couldn't do the job out in space. Ahead of the ice came the power sources. All that power needed the ice to cool it, the Second Law ensured that. The power came from batteries, capacitors, reactors and even some simple turbine-driven generators. No one source could supply the required level of power for the required time. Only a well-balanced mixture of sources could do that. Ahead of the power sources was the array of lasers that needed all that power. This was a Torch, a flashlight. A Torch the size of a pod, but still a Torch.

A third rock was nudged with intent. The third act of the play passed exactly as the second act had. The players all knew their parts and the script hadn't changed. The incomplete Sphere sat passively unmoving while the rock passed by at a safe distance. If something worked once for the Sa'arm they remembered it and repeated it. Why would they change a winning strategy?

"Everything went the same as before?" Admiral Blake asked.

"Yes, sir," Bittor replied. "Scouts have confirmed that the Hive Sphere just sat there twenty-six kilometres from the rock, exactly like the last time. They seem to ignore anything that's not too close."

"Good. Is the Torch ready?"

"Yes, sir. It has passed its tests and is in position."

"The fourth rock?"

"It's ready, sir. Loaded and tested."

"Excellent. Any reasons not to go forward with the operation?"

"No, sir. We've tested everything and it's all as ready as we can make it."

"Very well, Bittor. Start Operation Torchlight tomorrow. H-hour at 11:00."

"Yes, sir."

A fourth rock fell. Like the previous three, it was spinning slowly on its axis, taking about fifty seconds to make a full rotation. As with the previous two, it would pass 26 kilometres from the Hive Sphere. As with the previous two, the Sa'arm ignored its approach.

The Torch was warmed up and ready: reactors coming to full power, cooling systems running. The lasers were aimed at the target. The AIs had calculated the timings. Some of the players were still moving into position, but they would be ready on cue. Soon the stage would be lit. Everything waited on the final touch...

"Switch on!"

Power flowed through the lasers, and heat flowed back into the ice. First the dry ice sublimated into carbon dioxide gas, clearing channels for steam to follow. Those channels led to turbines, which added their extra quota of power to the array of lasers. The gas left the pod through valves to keep the correct pressure inside the pod body. Further heat melted the ice to water, boiled it to steam and then to pressurised superheated steam. The steam followed the channels planned for it, contributing yet more energy to the turbines and so to the lasers. All the while, the AI-controlled attitude jets kept the lasers aligned correctly onto the target.

One minute. Two minutes. After two minutes and thirty seconds, the controlling AI adjusted the attitude jets slightly to begin moving the Torch slowly backwards, still keeping the lasers on target. After the laser burn finished they would be moving the Torch elsewhere, before the Swarm came looking for it.

Three minutes. The lasers shut off, the waiting tender grappled the slowly moving pod and towed it back to attach to the nearby transport. They would be in hyperspace before the Swarm knew anything about what had happened here.

The fourth rock fell. Five minutes before its closest approach to the Hive Sphere, clocks awoke monochromatic sensors on its surface. To the sensors all appeared dark. They waited ... Light! The sensors activated explosive bolts on the first set of covers, blowing them off into space. Underneath each cover was a densely packed array of missiles. Two seconds later, the missiles activated and ripple fired, racing away to seek their targets. The laser light was very monochromatic, so the seeker heads on the missiles were very simple – find the right colour target and hit it. A few missiles headed for smaller Sa'arm ships caught in the light-beam from the laser while the rest accelerated straight for the biggest, brightest target in the vicinity: the nearly complete Hive Sphere.

There were 512 missiles in the first wave. Three failed to fire, two collided with floating covers and the hastily activated enemy defences caught eighteen. The other 489 found Sa'arm targets lit up by the laser. As the rock rotated, more sensors came to bear on the illuminated Sphere and 505 more missiles launched successfully. And a third time. And a fourth time. By the time the fourth batch of missiles bore on target, the Sa'arm had reacted and were pounding the rock with everything within range. A rock was just a rock: not edible, not a threat, possibly a source of minerals. The Sa'arm quickly reclassified this rock as a threat, so it triggered their usual reaction to a threat. Despite the damage, some of the fourth wave of missiles managed to launch, adding to the mayhem around the Sphere. Close to two thousand missiles arrived in less than a minute, swamping the Sa'arm defences.

Almost every Swarm ship lit up by the laser had taken some damage from missiles, and many had been completely destroyed by the missile storm. The non-military construction vessels suffered worst, since they were not designed to withstand repeated hits. As for the Sphere itself, multiple missile strikes had torn a huge chunk out of its illuminated side.

The surviving Swarm warships, mainly those from within the shadow of the Sphere, completed the destruction of the rock, soon reducing it to gravel. By then the laser had switched off. They tried, of course, but they never found the Torch. All they found were traces of carbon dioxide and water in the asteroid belt, over twenty light minutes from the Sphere. The Torch had been long gone before they even arrived.


"What were the results from the Torchlight attack, Bittor?" Rear Admiral Blake asked.

"Very good, sir. We destroyed over one-third of the targeted Hive Sphere and about half of the support vessels and orbital infrastructure around it. That is almost the best result we could have looked for. A definite success, sir."

"I would have expected to strike half the Hive Sphere, after all, the Torch illuminated half of it."

"It did, sir, but the rock was off to one side, out of the beam of the Torch. If it had been in the beam, then too many of the missiles would have mistaken the rock itself for their target and attacked it instead of the Sphere. We ran some simulations which showed there was a real problem. The missiles were deliberately kept simple, with no intelligent target recognition capability, just the specific colour of the laser. With the rock outside the beam, the missiles easily found better targets. Because the missiles were coming in from one side, the Hive Sphere looked like a gibbous moon, not a full moon."

"Yes, I can see that. How did the Swarm react to the follow-up rock?"

"As we anticipated, sir. They sent out a couple of cruisers, smashed up the surface and knocked it off course."

"It was too much to hope that we could use the same trick twice. Still, we can use their reaction to do some damage to the ships they send out to attack the incoming rock. Two cruisers you say?"

"Yes, sir. Two cruisers. What about the Torch itself, sir."

"Keep it around in mothballs. I haven't thought of another use for it yet, but I'm sure I'll be able to think of something."


Somebody in Operations Section had a sense of humour, Bernice thought. They'd called the follow-ups to Operation Torchlight, Operation Roxanne – throwing rocks at the Swarm. Today's assignment was Roxanne 6. The rock would fall towards the Swarm's Hive Sphere, and as usual they would send some warships out to destroy any surface installations and knock it off course before it got anywhere close to their precious colony ship. This time, some of her mines would be drifting through the volume of space where the AIs estimated the Swarm would make their interception. It wasn't always mines of course. Sometimes there was a Confederacy force waiting in ambush and sometimes there were long-range missiles concealed on the rock itself, waiting for the enemy to get close enough to attack. Sometimes it was just a rock. That used up Swarm resources at very little cost to the Confederacy. Rumour had it that Admiral Blake rolled a die to decide what to do each time, just to make sure the Swarm couldn't detect a pattern.

Operations had specified eight mines for Roxanne 6, so she had both her mine-launcher teams ready to launch four mines each. The team from the rear-facing tube got so little practice that she usually had them sharing duties on the forward tube. Whichever team did better would get chocolate ice-cream. That was a trick she'd learned from one of her previous captains. The ship's AI was under strict orders not to let the replicators issue any chocolate flavoured ice-cream, including chocolate chip and all the other variants, unless she specifically authorised it. It gave her people something to work for.

Positioning and timing were crucial for this operation. The mines had to be in the right place at the right time to catch the Swarm ships. Even beyond that, their extended track took them near the orbit of the second, less complete, Hive Sphere. Any mines that missed the first target would have a chance to do more damage at the construction site before they self-destructed.


She wasn't crying. Fiona McCluskie felt the water running down her cheeks, but she wasn't crying. She was an officer, the captain of her scout ship, and ship's captains didn't cry. There wasn't anything she could do about it anyway, the disaster had already happened. She was observing from nine light minutes distance, so her comrades had died nine minutes ago. Observe and report, that was all. She would do that of course, and her not-crying wouldn't interfere with her duty.

It had started as a routine operation: a small task force ordered to trash one of the Swarm's asteroid mining operations. The rock had been scouted, and enough ships assigned to crush the Sa'arm forces in place. The fleet had run similar operations before – she had scouted for some of them herself – and all had been successful. This one had started like the others. The attacking force had approached and begun its attack. Once it was committed, the Swarm unveiled their ambush. Suddenly there were a dozen extra Swarm warships powering up and converging on the attacking Confederacy force. Despite herself, Fiona had to admire the way they did it. The enemy's ambush force had been very stealthy, completely undetected by the earlier scouting. As always with the Sa'arm, co-ordination between their units was excellent.

That was when things began to go badly wrong. Standing orders for such a situation called for immediate retreat, never mind completing the planned operation, just get out of there at top speed. Whoever was commanding this force didn't do that. Pressing on against those odds was suicidal, and he soon found that out. He did eventually retreat, but only after unnecessary casualties had forced him to do so. Such a stupid waste. The ambush was unexpected, but the extra casualties were senseless. She wiped the not-tears from her cheeks and ordered the message drone readied to take the bad news and the sensor data back to fleet base.

Once the drone was away, her scout moved towards its next destination, ready to observe the effect of some mines on another asteroid base where the Sa'arm had some ships stationed. This mission would be a lot less upsetting. The minelayer had left the area hours before, so there was no danger of another disaster.


"Feeling better, sir?" Bittor enquired as Rear Admiral Blake came into the office.

"No," Bob snarled. "I'm tired, my arms ache and my fists hurt. The punch-bag is well and truly dead though." He moved behind his desk and sat down, his hair still damp from the shower. "Has that idiot entered a plea yet?"

"Not yet, sir."

"Right," Bob said. "If he pleads guilty, demote him one grade and put him in command of a scout. We always need more scouts. If he pleads not guilty, then give him a fair trial, find him guilty, demote him and park him in some dead-end administrative job where his prospects for promotion are zero or less. Preferably less."

"Why the difference, sir?"

"If he can't recognise his own mistake, then I don't want him in my command. People can learn from their mistakes. If he doesn't accept that he made a mistake then he won't learn from it and he'll make the same mistake again some time. I knew someone like that back on Earth."

Bittor raised an eyebrow to ask for more.

"He was one of my husband's work colleagues. He believed that he was perfect and so he managed to convince himself that any mistakes were always someone else's fault. Always. Nothing was ever his own fault. Because he never made any mistakes, at least inside his own head, he never bothered to learn anything from them. It was always someone else's job to learn and to change, never his."

"Sounds like some sort of narcissist, sir."

"He was," Bob agreed. "He had a completely inflated view of his own capabilities."

"I can see why you wouldn't want someone like that on the team, sir."

"Anyway," Bob said, "that's enough about that idiot."

"Talking of your husband, how is Don?" the major asked.

"He's still flying a desk for the Fleet Auxiliary, and buried in admin work and children. I get the administration, but at least I don't have the children all the time." Bob changed the subject back to work, "How are we coming with finding out how the Sa'arm managed to hide those ships in ambush?"

"The AIs have gone over scout reports from the last few months. It's the Swarm's regular convoys, sir."

"We'd have noticed a convoy leaving a dozen ships," Bob said.

"It was never a dozen, sir. Just one at a time. They built up the ambush force gradually, one by one. Convoys were dropping off one more warship than they picked up. We assumed it was just normal ship rotation back to base for repairs."

"Sneaky bastards. Have the AIs identified any other ambush forces?"

"Four very probable sites and two possible sites," Bittor told the admiral. "They're still going through the older records, but some are very patchy."

"Like I said, we can never have enough scouts."


This was going to be interesting, Major Francis Downing thought. His small force of seven ships was heading towards a Swarm asteroid-mining outpost. Already the enemy were assembling their six Lactanus class local defence ships to counter his move. Their ambush force – the one intelligence had assured him was there – hadn't shown themselves yet. Of course, this time the Confederacy had a trick or two up their sleeve as well. The ambushers would themselves be ambushed. Twice.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.