Seasonal Daughters, Book 2
Chapter 15

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

We had a small celebration that evening. Late that evening, he really laid a kiss on Nancy that left them both panting. He said, "Love, how soon do you want to marry? This weekend suits my schedule."

She blushed. "Wait a week. I want to be married in church, too. I wonder if Reverend Goodwin will even consider it."

I said, "I will talk to Everett. You have to get a license. That will take some arguing. March, take a copy of your certificate and copies of relevant court cases. It may take some time. Be prepared to spend it patiently.

"You need to be patient and stay calm. There will be plenty of people losing their cool around the two of you. Don't add to the confusion. Call me if you need me."

They went to the courthouse and I went in to work. My boss was retiring at the end of August and I would be promoted to his place. It was both good and bad. I would be in charge of more but I would have to travel also. I had been on the road a bit more since the first of the year.

At ten, March called me. "Dad, we're having problems and they aren't listening. I hate to ask you but we need you here. They have threatened me with Children's' Services and to arrest Nancy for molesting me."

"Okay, that's about as bad as I could have imagined. Is there anyone who isn't acting crazy?"

"Other than one woman in the Clerk's office, not really."

"Okay, Son. Hang in there. Collect names. Is your recorder running?"

"They took my obvious one. I have another that they won't find. Nancy has one, too."

"See you soon somewhere." I left the office telling my secretary where I was going and stopping by Gerald's office to let him know where I was going so he could bail me out if it came to that! I drove to the courthouse and parked. I went inside with my briefcase. After I was inspected, I went to the clerk's office and looked around for March and Nancy. I saw them in a group of people and approached them. March said, "Hi, Dad."

"Hello, March." The avalanche of people started talking to me. "Please, stop a minute. If you all talk at once, nothing will be accomplished." I looked at a florid faced woman. "Ma'am, who are you?"

"I am Miriam Baker. I'm with Children's Protective Services. I was asked to come because there was a minor in difficulty."

"Very well, Ma'am. Who do you think is the minor or has someone identified a minor to you?"

"This young man."

"I want to note that you identified one March P. Sanderson, is that correct?"

"Yes." Her yes was slower as she listened to me.

"Has he shown you a certified copy of a court order emancipating him and removing his minor status?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Do you doubt the genuineness of the document?"

"No, sir."

"Is he the only minor that you have identified here?

"Yes, Sir."

"Then it would appear you have no function here."

"I agree, Sir." She left.

I looked at two policemen. "Gentlemen, why are you here this morning?"

"We were told to arrest that young woman for molesting a minor."

"The young woman in question is this lady and the minor is that young man, Am I correct?" They nodded.

"Thank you. You have been shown documentation that the young man is not a minor under the law?"

"Has anyone made allegations of actual molestation at any time prior to or after the court order or do you doubt the authenticity of the court order?"

"No, Sir. I don't think there is anything for us here. We'll leave." They left and both looked relieved.

I said, "Who is the Clerk?"

A man said, "I am Mister Sanderson. It's good to see you again. I did not call Miz Baker or the police."

"Thank you, Jim. Who called the police and Children's Services?"

A middle-aged, severe-looking woman said, "I did."

"Had you seen the court order before you called?"

"Yes, but those things can be faked easily enough."

"Is that not Mister Mason's signature?"

"I believe so."

"Is that the raised seal?"

"It looks like it."

"Mister Mason, is that your signature and did you affix the seal upon the document?"

"Yes, it is. You and your son brought it down right after the judge signed the order and I entered it and certified it personally."

"Ma'am, it appears that the order is genuine. I believe my son also presented or is prepared to present sufficient case law to show that a license should be issued to the young lady and him. I caution you to be very careful about what you say. I don't think Jim will view your statements with which he doesn't agree as the position of the court."

"I, uh, will not issue the license."

"I'm sorry you feel that way. Jim, I will file a petition for mandamus representing my son and Miss Andrews. If I have to do that, I will want damages from you personally ma'am and the clerk's office for the public humiliation and my attorney's fees."

"Paul, please, that won't be necessary. Missus Baxter, go to the office of my Deputy. Turn in your keys. He will watch as you gather your personal effects and leave. We will inform you of the personnel hearing regarding your termination for cause. Your actions will not be allowed to result in liability to this office for failing to comply with the rules and regulations of this office."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.