A Christmas Wish - Cover

A Christmas Wish

Copyright© 2014 by A.A. Nemo

Chapter 5

December 20, 2014 Fitz

Jamison joined a crush of formally dressed people queued up before the coat check counter. It was staffed by three women who were dealing with the crowd with patience and good humor, of course their tips depended on it, but they seemed to be genuinely friendly. The coat check was just outside the red ribbon and evergreen bough festooned double doors leading to the Ryan Christmas party. Fitz could hear music and the sounds of a party inside. He smiled – 'once more unto the breach' indeed!

He got to the head of the line and started to hand his coat to a smiling older lady when he heard, "Doctor Jamison ... Oh I'm so glad I didn't miss you!"

One of the coat check women was Gina Alvarez and it was obvious she was bubbling with excitement. Fitz Jamison had known Gina since she was twelve and he was proud of the fact he had introduced a troubled girl to science and medicine, and as she grew he and Naomi were in a position to mentor and guide her. Her family had fled the war in Nicaragua years ago. Both parents worked hard but there was barely enough money to keep a roof over their heads and those of their five children.

A smiling Gina pointed to a door near the side of the coat check area. He nodded, and claim token in hand, he moved to the door to meet her. Fitz thought he might have an idea what the excitement was about.

At twenty-two and a college senior she had grown into a beautiful young woman. Dressed in a form-fitting red sweater, short black skirt, and very tall heels, with her dark hair falling softly to her shoulders, she looked very grown up. And he had to admit, very sexy, as she came out the side door. He was surprised when she ran to him and grabbed him in a ferocious hug.

"I got in ... Johns Hopkins ... Johns Hopkins wants me ... I got the letter today, and it's all because of you!" She hugged him tighter and then did something so unexpected he didn't have time to react or turn his head – she kissed him on the lips and it was far from a kiss between friends. Gina put her whole body into the kiss and moved her arms up around his neck so it would be difficult to pull away. Gina was tall and slim and had very nice breasts which threatened to poke through the front of his starched shirt. Her tongue traced his lips. For a moment he forgot himself and just kissed her back, enjoying the feel of the young woman against him, despite the alarm bells ringing in his head.

Perhaps realizing they were in a very public place, she released her hold and stepped back, her face flushed. He realized he must have looked much the same, and to his chagrin he also realized another part of his anatomy had reacted to that unexpected and very pleasurable kiss. Fitz watched her look around sheepishly. Fortunately most of those waiting to check their coats looked amused. She smiled at Fitz as she took him by the hand and led him around the corner away from the coat check area.

Regaining his composure and catching his breath, he said, "Congratulations Gina, but it was your hard work that got you accepted, I only wrote a letter."

He knew he had done more. Fitz had called a colleague at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and told her that the school would be making a big mistake if they didn't offer Gina a position in the next class. That colleague had called him yesterday and told him Gina had been singled out as one of those deserving of early acceptance. She had thanked Fitz for tipping her off since Gina appeared to be the ideal candidate for the medical school. She also assured Fitz that a scholarship would also be in the offing.

Gina looked up at him and said, "You know it's just not that ... you saved my little sister and I was so mixed up then, but you never talked down to me when I had questions." Gina was the oldest, twelve at the time, and she was the interpreter for her parents when her eight-year-old sister was admitted with a brain tumor.

"You got me interested in something for the first time in my life ... and after meeting you I knew I wanted to be a doctor ... just like you..." She smiled shyly releasing her hold on his hands as if just realizing she'd kissed a man she'd admired for years.

Ten years ago, while her sister was convalescing, Fitz had given Gina a tour of the medical center and eventually he and Naomi had become friends and mentors. While she was in college he'd allowed her to scrub in for minor surgical cases as an observer. She had also been to their home numerous times and Naomi had practically adopted her. They introduced her to David and Keri and their girls. Gina looked up to Naomi and Keri and the other women she met through them. They showed her what a strong and independent intelligent woman looked like and encouraged her.

Naomi was quite moved when Gina told her she was the person she wanted to be. Gina had visited Naomi frequently while she was in the hospital and had been at the funeral too. She took the loss of Naomi pretty hard and had cried in Fitz's arms when he told her of Naomi's bequest that set up a scholarship to fund her college.

Now he took her hands. She smiled when he said, "Gina I'm very proud of you. In a few years I'll be looking to share an OR with you."

"Thank you." She was misty-eyed as she touched his face; her fingers cool on his skin. She kissed him again, this time lightly. He enjoyed that kiss as well; then she stepped back and taking the red silk handkerchief from his breast pocket she gently rubbed the lipstick from his lips. She put it back fussing with it for a few seconds making sure it was neatly arranged keeping them in close proximity for a few more seconds. She did smell delicious. Eventually she smiled and said, "I've got to get back to work."

"Gina, can I take you to lunch next week?"

Her smile widened and she said, "Thank you Fitz that would be wonderful."

He pulled out his phone and checked his calendar. "How about Tuesday? You come by my office around ten and you can do rounds with me, and then we'll go to lunch to celebrate your acceptance and early Christmas."

"Really you'd take me on rounds with you?"

"As I recall it wouldn't be the first time, although it has been a while ... but now you're going to be going to medical school, so time to get you into the trenches!" He laughed. "Plus you're a whole lot prettier than any of the interns I usually have in tow!"

Gina blushed and touched is hand.

He watched her walk away on those tall heels, positive she was putting a bit more roll to her hips for his benefit. Yes, she was growing up. It occurred to him that the first kiss may not have been as spontaneous as she pretended. Gina was a brilliant young woman who had achieved goals far in excess of her youthful dreams, and was he now one of those additional goals to be achieved? She had certainly been exposed to other 'determined' women, and then he realized she had called him 'Fitz.' Lost in thought, and for a change, enjoying the imagery of all the tongues that would be wagging around the medical center about Doctor Jamison on rounds with a beautiful young woman, he walked through the doors into the rooftop room, wondering what other surprises might be in the offing this evening.

The room was very large and took up the entire top floor of the building. The view of Lake Michigan was spectacular even in the dark, and it was already packed with people. The decorations included two very large Christmas trees covered in white lights flanking a small stage where a band was playing what sounded like show tunes. Nobody was dancing yet, that would come later after everyone had a few drinks and the tempo picked up. Near the walls there were long tables covered with serving dishes, and white-coated wait staff patrolled the room with trays of hors d' oeuvres and flutes filled with champagne.

"Hello, Fitz ... Welcome." Teresa Ryan hugged him. "It's nice to see someone I actually know!" He loved her Irish accent, and it made him think about her offer of a place in Kinsale.

She stepped back and grinned at him her green eyes sparkling. She was dressed in a stunning wine-colored silk cocktail dress and very high heeled sandals. Her jewelry consisted of a large tear-drop shaped diamond pendent that nestled nicely between her breasts, and matching earrings. She was as beautiful as ever.

Teresa stepped back and looked him over. "I must say you clean up very nicely Doctor Jamison. Did the girls get a look at you before you left?"

"Only Jess ... she had to tie my tie, but what are you implying Mrs. Ryan ... that other than special occasions I'm a slob?" He teased in reply.

She laughed her lovely laugh. "Not at all ... just extremely casual ... although an occasional shave on a weekend might help!"

He smiled as he thought about some weekends over the last year when David and Teresa and their children had joined him and the girls at the house and especially last summer. When school was out for the summer in Ireland, Teresa, Siofra, and newborn Michael had decamped for Chicago and they became fixtures around his backyard pool, much to the delight of Jess and Anwen. He had gotten to know Teresa and had discovered why David loved her so much. She was a delight.

"I see you ran into Angelina Alvarez." Taking the handkerchief from his pocket she rubbed on a spot of lipstick near his mouth.

"What, how?"

"Well you did, didn't you?"

"Yes. She was excited about getting into medical school ... but?"

"How do I know Gina Alvarez?"

"Yes."

"Keri called me and said Gina works the party every year to make Christmas money, and she should be included in the staffing for this event."

"Keri?"

"Of course Keri. You don't think I put this party together on my own did you?"

"But David?"

"David just said to find someone to organize the whole thing so I did. The best person was Keri of course. And David has the party billed to the firm and the firm gets a tax write-off or something and the accountant pays the bill. David never sees the invoice."

"Teresa you're a clever woman!" He laughed.

She laughed too. "Well I married David didn't I?"

"Yes, yes you did. He's one lucky man."

Teresa paused for a second and turned serious, "I'm the lucky one."

Fitz took her hands. "I've only known you for a short time but I've known David half my life. You two belong together."

Teresa hugged him. "Thank you Fitz. That means a lot to me."

He loved her smile and it broadened when he asked, "How are Michael and Siofra?"

"He's almost seven months and growing like a weed ... Siofra, well she's eight now and wants to be as American as Jess and Anwen!" Teresa rolled her eyes.

"You say that as if it's a bad thing." He teased.

"I'm just thankful it's Jess and Anwen!"

"Where are they tonight?"

"Over in Arlington Heights with their Aunt Becky. David's sisters tossed a coin!" she laughed.

Looking around he said, "So where's David?"

"He's huddled somewhere with his friend the district attorney. He'll be around."

Teresa looked past him. "I'll speak to you later Fitz ... now it's off to greet other guests." Then she tucked his handkerchief back into his breast pocket and arranged it perfectly, and with a twinkle she said, "Just in case you need that later."

As she walked away, she called over her shoulder, "If I don't get a chance to chat more tonight, I'll see you and the girls Monday."

"Monday?"

She stopped and turned and smiled, "Yes, shopping with the girls downtown Monday ... you drop them on your way to the hospital. Don't you read your texts?"

"Okay, see you then!" He laughed and then turned and headed for the nearest bar.

"Tonic water with a twist, please."

The bartender quickly prepared his drink and set it in front of him as he stood at the portable bar. Fitz pulled a dollar bill from his pocket and put it in the large tip jar on the bar and then turned to survey the room. There were lots of round tables and he searched for people he knew, well people he knew and would care to sit with for the next couple of hours. He certainly didn't plan to stay until the last dog died, although it was often amusing to watch the kind of happy drunks you would normally see at a party like this.

"You're Doctor Jamison aren't you?"

Next to him, at the bar, stood a striking thirty-something dark-haired woman, dressed in a silver sheath dress.

The bartender poured white wine for her.

"Yes, I am."

The woman seemed slightly disappointed he didn't recognize her, but the disappointment didn't show but for a fleeting moment.

She put out her hand, smiling broadly. He noticed her nails were long and perfectly manicured, and the heavy diamond bracelet on her wrist matched the necklace she wore. In sky-high heels she was almost as tall as he was. "I'm Nessa Thomas ... our daughters are on the swim team together."

"Of course!" he said smiling as they shook hands.

He looked at her closer now. The dress showed lots of toned leg and hugged her like a second skin. Fitz was certain there was little chance there was room for undergarments without spoiling the lines. It was cut square across the top of her very nice breasts and was held up by very thin spaghetti straps. It was obvious that Nessa worked out.

She seemed to enjoy his appraisal, and smiled in return. "I'm not surprised you didn't recognize me ... usually I'm dressed like most of the moms in jeans and a sweater, hair in a ponytail."

"Yes, I suppose you're right and I'm usually the only dad in the crowd ... so I guess I'm hard to miss, but I do remember you Nessa. We've just never been introduced."

She moved into his personal space, her breasts almost touching the front of his jacket. "Well I'm glad we'll finally get to know one another ... Are you with someone tonight?"

"No."

She smiled. "Then why don't you join us. I'm just over here." She gestured toward a table in a corner near the tall glass windows that surrounded the entire space. There were several couples already seated. The men all looked alike in tuxedos but the women were dressed to outdo each other.

She took his arm as they walked toward the table.

"How do you know our host?" He asked.

"Oh I've worked with David on a number of real estate project development deals. Typically, a big developer comes to me to put the pieces together and David keeps me out of trouble!"

She had a nice laugh.

"And Mr. Thomas?"

Her frown was fleeting and then she smiled and said, "My ex is off in Africa or South America, or maybe in the middle of the Pacific 'finding himself.'"

Fitz suspected there was more to that story, including another woman, but she didn't volunteer any more information.

They reached the table and he was introduced around. These were moneyed people at the top of their game, all of them his neighbors in Lake Forest. Most were professionals including many of the wives. Many of the women reminded him of pre-divorce Keri, with a single-minded preoccupation with their own success.

He wasn't surprised to discover that all of the women already knew, or knew of 'Doctor Jamison' because his girls were involved in practically every sport. Turns out he had met many of them, one time or another. Of course the town located on the Lake north of Chicago wasn't all that big – maybe twenty thousand people. One of the women, who sported a huge diamond engagement ring, was even a member of the Children's Hospital Guild. His familiarity among these women got him some interesting looks from the men, perhaps wondering how he found the time to attend school or club sporting events, or more likely sizing him up as a possible business contact, or perhaps just dismissing him as another physician among all the others who lived there.

Fitz wondered if it would be considered rude if he just took Nessa and left to find another table. He smiled as he dismissed the idea.

"So Nessa, how'd you get in the real estate development business?"


Cassandra Wallace got off the elevator with Michael and Carolyn Kensworth. She was feeling slightly buzzed from a glass of champagne in the car on the short ride over and vowed to eat something before she had anymore to drink. They took off their coats and as they approached the coat check she heard.

"Doctor Kensworth, welcome and Merry Christmas!"

Cassandra had been about to say something to Carolyn when she heard the welcome and looked up. She saw a beautiful young woman with dark hair. She was obviously Hispanic but there wasn't a trace of accent.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.