Black and White
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2014 by Lyndon Brown

I ran up on the wreck about two hours after sundown. We were on a coast road above the Pacific. The road followed the natural contours, sometimes near the cobbles by the water, at times high on the cliff edge above. It ran now across a boulder field, sharply sloping down to the left, sheer rock face on the right.

"911 operator. What is your emergency?"

"I have a two vehicle MVA. I'm on the coast road. GPS says I'm a mile point nine South of Rockslide Road. Four door, front drive Chevy: driver, two kid's seats, airbag deployed. Ford pickup: driver partially ejected."

"Ambulance is en route"

"Road is blocked. We'll need a ropes team for the pickup. Chevy driver will need to be cut from the vehicle. Probable crush injuries, If you've got a helicopter, put it on stand-by."

"Sir, do you have any EMS training?"

"Former paramedic, licensed in the states of Texas and Arkansas."

"Reciprocal. Life flight on standby. Fire rescue en route."

I moved the truck closer, parked in the center of the pavement. I got the work lights focused on the Chevy. I've got a good set of hazard flashers, spotlights and work lights. I flipped them all on. I left the motor running and turned up the heat. My turnout coat was behind the seat.

"I've got a pair of twin girls in the back seat. Three or four years old. No apparent injuries. Little baby black girls." I could feel the dispatcher's grin through the phone. It's an article of faith among EMS: the single toughest creature, on God's green Earth, is a little baby black girl! "Mom is white, mid twenties, unconscious. Generations of bruises. Strong pulse and respiration. No apparent injuries above the waist. Dash and door frame are wrapped around her legs. Confirm extrication required."

"Confirmed. Fire rescue is having difficulty with the road North. ETA uncertain. Ambulance ten minutes out. Police report on scene."

It had been raining all afternoon, now the temperature was dropping. The pavement was just wet, but ice was forming on metal surfaces. The Chevy had turned into the slope, striking a microwave-sized chunk of rock at the driver's door, riding up and over, slamming the cliff. The cop appeared at my elbow.

"Lets get her out of there."

"No." I said.

He reached past me to cut her belts. He moved placed his hands on her shoulders, as if to turn her to the window. I pulled him away by his shoulder straps, setting him on his ass.

"Not no," I said! "Hell No! Asshole! She doesn't move until fire rescue has the car stabilized, medics have her in a cervical collar and back brace, and life flight has her IV'ed to all the blood they can carry!"

We glared at each other: the age old battle for control of the scene. "Look officer, why don't you see what you can do for the guy down slope." I had the idea there wasn't much anyone could do to hurt him at this point.

The lights flickered as the truck motor died. "You don't carry a spare can of gas in the trunk, I suppose? Lights came back on, up on the second battery. He moved down slope without a reply.

"What can I do to help?"

Unheard, she had slipped up beside me. "Back left corner of the shell. Propane heater. Press the red button, once, turn the dial to high. Hold the red button until you hear the pilot. If you've done it right the fan will come on. Electric blanket on the cot. Two blankets from bottom shelf, left front corner. Duct tape from top drawer left front outside toolbox."

I got a quick impression of her before she left: parka over scrubs, long back silky hair, almond eyes, light spicy scent. She returned quickly. I watched: slim, oriental, gliding walk, beautiful face. "We're going to cover Mom with the electric blanket, plug in the lighter socket. The blankets and duct tape will stabilize the girls in their chairs. I'll carry them to the bunk, then I'd like you to sit with them in the warmth. By the way, I'm Tom, I worked my way through school as a paramedic."

"Amy," she said, "Registered Nurse."

Mom stirred as the blanket began to warm her. "Easy," I said. "Please don't turn your head. I'm Tom, a paramedic. Amy is with us. She is a nurse. We'd like to help you, if you don't mind?"

"OK. My girls?"

"Safe in their seats. Just fine. I have a bunk and a heater in my rig. Don't nod, but I'd like to move them there, if it's OK. Amy will sit with them."

"Alright. What happened? Is there a problem with my neck? Am I going to be alright? I'm Jen, by the way."

"Jen, you hit a rock in the road. I don't see a problem with your neck. The airbag deployed. You were unconscious. When that happens we have to be extra careful, and try to keep you from moving, just in case there might be an injury. You understand. How do you feel? Is there any pain?"

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.