Missed Clues
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2014 by autofocus

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 9 - Spouse splitting for parts unknown. Thrilling adventures on the Adriatic, planned by a travel agent provacateur. International relations and indelicate diplomacy. You always get what you pay for, but pay dearly when plans go awry. Pay attention to the clues in front of your eyes. Who's really in charge? Does it matter? Clever, charming, conspiratorial choices certainly carry considerably captivating consequences. It's all good in the end. Eventually, in the end. It's a long hot summer.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/ft   ft/ft   Consensual   Humor   Sister   Father   Daughter   Spanking   Light Bond   Group Sex   Harem   First   Oral Sex   Anal Sex   Exhibitionism   Voyeurism   Public Sex   Nudism  

That comment triggered another round of bawdy gossip among the girls. I interrupted after a while. “Decision time, you shameless tarts. Breakfast was ages ago. Do we hang around town and drip dry, hoping an eatery can feed thirty-two without a reservation? Or do we use the towels on the bus, dress for more sedate company and go somewhere else? There are some interesting one-of-a-kind places on the way home with outdoor seating.”

“But we have to shop for Teresa, Charity, ...”

“Stop right there, Kiddo. No more shopping today. Mix and match. We have eleven girls under five feet tall, eleven between five-one and five-five, and nine between five-six and six feet. If you can’t find enough to get everyone dressed respectably after the Reign of Terror perpetrated on innocent inventories all morning, then something is wrong in the world.”

“I had to try, Pops. I’m teenager. It’s my job to go shopping. We can share if we have to.” Laurie tried to look disappointed. It didn’t work. A smile slipped through. “I guess we can keep the boobage down to a minimum. Where’s the fun in that?”

“That’s my girl. Cope the best you can. We do have four new girls to bring into the fold. We need IDs and whatever other papers they have for Jessica and Juliet. Teri and Charity have absolutely nothing to wear. Although nothing looks fine on them, some establishments will have differing opinions. We can go by the naked de Silva twins’ house, but if their work uniform is bikini panties, their closets aren’t going to have much more than convent-grade school clothes and a few shirts. All four need Charles Gang wardrobe upgrades.”

“Ted bought a bunch of shirts we can use for dresses. They look good with a belt. The ladies at the men’s shop tailored one for me.”

“Good thing. He needs more shirts we can wear around the house.” Sadie grinned. “Not to mention the really nice clothes we bought to opt out of with class. Piles and piles of very stylish outfits not to wear. So I won’t.”

“Won’t mention or won’t wear?” Millie asked.

“Won’t mention now. Won’t wear at the proper time. You didn’t hear it from me.”

“Glad you cleared that up. We still have to clean up. What say we load up and head for the bungalow, shower, dress and find a place to have dinner? I’ll let the Gamboas and de Silvas pick the restaurant as long as it’s tasty and a little conservative. And big enough to deal with our little mobile riot.” I looked at Charity. “No hijinks, Ms Ball. This is a no stupid stunt zone. I can and will make your life ‘interesting’. Canvas and leather straitjackets are not that hard to find. Work with me and everyone wins. You will get your chance in time. My time. Am I understood?”

“Perfectly, Mr. Ted.” She sounded sincere. “I’ll behave myself as long as you don’t make me go back to Mom for a while. Let her think I’m hardheaded. I didn’t want to go to Disney, the Vatican or the other stodgy places they wanted to go, anyhow. I was flashing hoping I could embarrass her so much and she would come here directly instead of touring Rome. I’m usually more discreet.”

“The Swiss Guard would probably disagree.” Anne said. “Brenda got quite mad instead of embarrassed. Messed up your plot.”

“If she didn’t make such a fuss and could take a hint I wouldn’t do it at all. Except in areas where public exposure is the norm, Buona Vista for instance, I’m not crazy about showing the goods.” Now she smiled, “I always got the little thrill, most girls do, but I never saw the real upside to being bad until today.”

“I still need to call her. I want your ID, passport and a medical power of attorney in case you sprain an ankle dodging the police.” I posed like a superhero. “I’m a soulless dungeon master, but my victims need documentation and good health care.”

“You’re a much better rocket surgeon and mesmerizer of innocent girls than Evil Arbiter of Atonement.” Petra grinned, “Don’t give up the day job.”

“I’ll talk to Mom and claim you’re being mean, but I plan to out-stubborn you until you give up. Maybe she’ll ‘sentence’ me to stay all summer and I won’t have to go to Vienna, Warsaw, Sofia, Berlin, Budapest and Prague with her and her friend.” Charity groaned, “I want to see those places, but they rush through everything as if it’s a race to finish a checklist. Those cities are all-week treasures not day trips.”

“I’m thinking she won’t have the slightest problem giving you up for an extended period.” Stephanie sighed. “She seemed eager to get away after she suggested Ted treat you like a piñata or a cheap blow-up doll. Just sayin’.”

“Tell me about it.” The little Tennessean gathered her strength and continued. “I want to sit and absorb the history of the Brandenburg Gate and The Wall. I can’t really appreciate the horrors of Treblinka if I don’t have time to imagine what the internees went through. All they’ll do is take a selfie at the Auschwitz Gate and move on. I want to look at ‘Guernica’ for hours. I want to see the perfectly ordered grave markers stretching as far as you can see in Normandy and Holland then rage at the evil that made it necessary for good people to take up arms and be proud of their selfless bravery and cry at the waste. They deserve more than a walk through. Someone needs to read some of the names out loud.”

Charity was not an airhead! “Not Mom and Maude. Just take a picture that will never be printed and on to the pretty castle in Cologne. Don’t think about the tens of thousands of conscripted subjects who died storming the walls over the centuries whenever spoiled noblemen got annoyed or greedy. No the hell wonder history repeats. We don’t take the time to learn.”

“It’s real hard to feel chivalrous when you’re being burned alive defending the honor of the Duke who takes half of your crops for taxes. What happens to the widow and children? Crushing poverty and servitude if they’re lucky. Luck was not a popular commodity.” I agreed completely. “War is neither glorious nor noble. The only nobility resides in the individuals who step up voluntarily when necessary to defend home and hearth or fight to defend the defenseless.”

“That was pretty intense, girlfriend, but I know what you mean. We spent a few days in Venice when we first got here. The whole city is an art object.” Laurie agreed, “We looked in obscure corners off the tourist maps and learned more about the real city than we did at the museums. And we learned a lot in the museums. You can’t rush or you miss the little things holding up the big things.”

“We’re staying in the remains of an eight hundred year old Knights Templar Crusader fortress. There is more history in that compound than all of Post-Columbian North America and the locals don’t consider it super important. Think about how great the important stuff is.” I smiled, “But it was built to enforce religious intolerance and was abandoned when the Knights got uppity and pissed off the intolerant religionists. Nearly every magnificent old building came with a price, usually paid by the peons and peasants. The Palace at Versailles is incredibly beautiful, built by the downtrodden for a king who starved the people to pay for it.”

“You guys are getting way too serious while we abused peons are naked and starving.” Erika shouted, “Up The People! Sorority! Equality! Liberty! I move we storm the palace and clean up now.”

The motion passed and we headed out of the Piazza of Penitence. With the addition of Teri and Charity, the bus was two seats too small. We could double up in the passenger seat and put another person in the tour guide space up front or seat three on a couple of the two-butt benches.

A much safer ride than before. I had a lot to protect.

Order Who Age Hgt Eyes Hair Size

0 Ted Charles 35 6’00” green sandy 9”

1 Laurie Charles 16 4’11” blue red B+/lt. pink

2 Sadie Larson 16 4’11” green red B/rose

3 Anne Smythe 17 5’02” green blonde B+/tan

4 Pamela Smythe 17 5’00” green blonde C-/tan

5 Gina Gamboa 17 5’01” brown brown C/dk. pink

6 Carla Gamboa 17 5’00” brown brunette B+/dk. pink

7 Marta Gamboa 15 4’10” brown black B-/pink

8 Stephie Collins 17 5’00” blue brown B+/pink

9 Jane Cassidy 13 4’10” blue blonde C/pale pink

10 Isabella Gamboa 16 5’01” violet blonde C+/pale pink

11 Tara Pendragon 15 5’00” blue blonde C+/pink

12 Dara Pendragon 15 5’00” blue blonde C+/pink

13 Petra van Pelt 15 5’07” blue red B+/red

14 Melanie Pauley 15 5’07” blue red B+/red

15 Cindy Sawyer 16 5’08” blue brown B+/dk. pink

16 Lindy Edwards 16 5’09” green blonde B+/tan

17 Bea Holbein 16 5’10” green blonde A+/tan

18 Marli Holbein 15 6’00” blue blonde A/rose

19 Erika Siverson 14 5’09” violet blonde B+/pink

20 Suzan Nilsson 14 5’04” blue black B+/pink

21 Patty Stevens 17 5’10” brown red C-/red

22 Sylvia St. John 17 5’11” green red B-/tan

23 Shirley Barnes 16 5’05” blue red B+/pink

24 Angie Abrams 16 5’04” brown brown C/pale pink

25 Maxine Cotton 16 5’02” green blonde C+/pale pink

26 Lilly Xiao 13 4’09” brown black A/brown

27 Millie Smythe 36 5’03” green blonde C+/tan

28 Juliet de Silva 15 5’03” violet white C+/pale pink

29 Jessica de Silva 15 5’03” violet white C+/pale pink

30 Teresa Charles 16 4’11” green strawbry- C-/lt. pink

31 Charity Ball 16 5’04” blue auburn C/pale pink

At the bus, I opened the cargo compartment for the girls to grab some towels and dry clothes before we loaded up.

Of the thirty-one, eleven (Laurie, Teri, Lilly, Sadie, Jane, Petra, Melanie, Lindy, Cindy, Tara and Dara) would live at my house after the summer, one (Stephanie) was a very likely housemate and another (Charity) should be.

The five other American girls (Patricia, Sylvia, Shirley, Angie and Maxine) would not be strangers. We lived in a vacation Mecca, after all. Orlando, Daytona Beach. Disney, Universal Studios, Cape Canaveral, the National Seashore, the Space Center, Melbourne, etc. What’s not to like?

Reviewing the accommodations at the Cape, I figured to have plenty room. My bedroom had a king sized bed, attached full bath and a lounge. Laurie’s was the same, except she had two doubles and a study/dressing area. The three equally sized unused bedrooms shared a monster three-seater bathroom in the hall and were furnished with a queen and a double sized bunk bed set each. Laurie hosted some pretty large sleepovers. Then there was the finished basement (rare in Florida), my office, the bonus room (previously Winnie’s office, now the repository of forgotten toys, skateboards, old computers, text books, camping equipment and the usual detritus of living), the den/media/entertainment center, great room, dining room and eat-in kitchen.

I think we could handle the new family members with ease. But that problem was months away.

Or so I thought.

Stephie was right. It was alarmingly easy to convince Brenda her daughter needed lengthy attitude therapy. Boom! Charity had the summer off. Apparently, so did Brenda and Maude. The powers of attorney were already signed, pre-notarized and ready for my name and signature. “I thought it was prudent to be prepared if something unfortunate happened to me. I merely needed to locate a proper guardian.” A premeditated scheme I’ve heard before. The professor was transferring responsibility for her daughter at the first opportunity to a strange, role-playing actor, proper or not.

Her definition of ‘proper’ was very unusual. How could a normal mother consider me to be an appropriate guardian type after seeing what I did to Charity in the village square? But then, she did the prep work herself. Brenda clearly wanted to be free of the girl at any cost or just didn’t care what happened to her. Probably both. The prearranged paperwork proved, to me at least, that her daughter was going to be abandoned somewhere, sooner or later. Permanently.

We walked away with nearly the same documentation the Florida parents gave me. She callously made no provision for finances, either for Charity or me. I merely needed to sign on the bottom in front of another notary or court official to have a ninth adopted daughter. Brenda filled in my name at the top while we talked.

I’m beginning to suspect the paperwork is on a website somewhere by now, hosted in Martinique, ‘www.easyemptynest.com/teengirls/faq/eastfloridamoms’.

Already her guardian, I might as well bite the bullet and have Allen Ortega meet me at my consular outpost in Bella Magdalena with his stamp and seal. He could tell me how to deal with Family Court in Nashville if necessary. Lucretia Montenegro was in Florida and I don’t think she is licensed to practice in Tennessee anyway.

None of the Florida girls were surprised and welcomed a relieved Charity Ball into the group.

We ran the de Silva errands, making it back to the bungalow with plenty of time to hit the showers. Warm water and soap was the bomb. I chose to wear brown slacks, leather shoes and a nice tan sport shirt, collar and all. The white blazer concealed my shoulder holster nicely. Lilly, Sadie, Laurie, Teri, Jane and Marta took advantage of my new shirts. They looked great with their little pumps. The others had shopped well, finding skirts, shorts and blouses that wouldn’t raise an eyebrow at a church dinner in Nebraska. Millie was the picture of the casual British lady of the manor.

They all had initial necklaces. Laurie, Sadie, Jane, Stephanie, the Smythe and Pendragon twins, the four Gamboas, Petra, Melanie, Lindy and Cindy wore Monica’s ID bracelets.

They all had small purses hanging from the belt or worn bandolero-style on thin chains. I didn’t have to ask if they were packing heat and extra clips. Charity, Juliet and Jessica were the exceptions. Teresa’s new passport, in addition to immunity, carried a weapons permit.

“Where have we decided to go for dinner? It’s relatively early. Wanna go cruising?”

“We’re kinda hungry now, Don Theodore. Breakfast was ages ago.” Gina laughed. “We made reservations at a diner called ‘Agora Pescadora’. It sorta means the ‘Fisherwoman’s Market’. They have a peculiar name but a big banquet room with family-style service strongly advised. The fare is any and everything in the ocean, fresh-caught, fried, steamed, broiled, sautéed, boiled, fileted, shelled or peeled. Simple side dishes, coffee, tea and sodas, no alcohol. All at once, chef mama’s choice, until you pass out.”

“It’s straight-up good. No fancy sauces, no designer new cuisine dishes. Perfectly cooked honest country eating, you will never find better.” Isabella insisted, “Good solid people who have been feeding the farming community for three generations. You aren’t paying for appearances. This is the authentic atmosphere big city restaurants pretend to have.”

“I remember the place, ‘Vita Nostra’, a little settlement about ten miles south.” Pamela said. “It’s in a big barn-like structure set back from the road, right?”

“Don’t be fooled. They feed more than a small farming community.” Marta made hungry noises. “This is mama’s cooking, cooked by someone’s actual mama, and folks love it. They have a buffet and small groups can order from the menu, but family-style bring-it-on is more fun.”

“Cut out the hard sell, girls. Your word is good enough for me.” I said, “When?”

“Thirty minutes. The reservation is in your name. Using ‘de Silva’ or ‘Gamboa’ is too much like name-dropping around here. They would be disappointed to think we were exerting influence. We don’t do that.” Gina answered.

“Lock and load ladies. The fish isn’t getting fresher.”

In minutes, we exited the gate, the bungalow alarmed and sealed, and rolled south. Laurie and Teri shared the passenger seat. Lilly sat in the tour guide space between the front seats. Everyone else had a seat of her own.

Except for the salty conversation, the ride was uneventful. The girls spent most of the time comparing in vivid detail how it felt to get ‘filled with a hot dick’ the first time. The 4H virgins were wide-eyed and blushing when we entered the parking lot.

Inside, while the hostess escorted thirty-one girls to our dining room, I spoke to the manager. “First, Signora Marino, we thank you so much for making the banquet room available. To make it as easy as possible, could you ask the kitchen to prepare the best they have to offer today and serve it family-style? We can serve ourselves and sample those items with which we are not familiar. Not every body likes anchovies, calamari or oysters, but your version might just change some minds.”

“For groups this large, it is the only way. And as you say, minds might be changed.” She looked at the line of well-behaved young ladies as the parade passed by. “I see the Gamboa and de Silva girls in your company. Who called in the reservation?”

“I think Gina made the actual call, but they used my name to avoid any hint of preferential treatment.” I smiled. “By the way, ‘Agora Pescadora’ was the unanimous choice.”

“And that is just one reason why their families are so respected. They are of the community, provide generously for people in need and will never take advantage of their position.” She continued, quite seriously. “Your name, Dr. T. Charles, raised the excitement level enormously. Some of us are aware of your involvement in bringing the murderers to justice. My grand daughter is alive tonight because of your intervention. Little Vera had been taken and drugged when the ‘unidentified avenging angels’ freed her. There is no question who had them sent. Your insight saved many of our sons and fathers from the explosion in the street and more were prepared for the terrorist attack at Elena’s resort.”

“I’m sure the girls didn’t know that anyone else knew or they would have picked another name. As would I.” I sighed, “Besides, it was the quick response of the men and women in uniform that saved the day. All credit goes to them. I regret I was not there to help.”

“They insist otherwise, Don Theodore.” She tapped my head. “Without this, many would have been lost. Like it or not, you are a true man of respect.”

“OK. I would rather be anonymous, but if it gets me closer to a mound of scallops, I’ll deal with a little unearned respect.”

Laurie, Lilly and Teri strolled up and tried to drag me away. “They won’t bring the food until you come to the table.” My daughter complained. “We’re starving here.”

“Yeah, bro! Manga already.” Teri giggled. “We have orders to capture you. Don’t think for a minute we won’t try.”

As they were apologizing to Signora Marino, the doors burst open and Capt. Delvecchio, looking battered and bruised, landed on the floor, moaning. Four men in Italian army fatigues followed, two brandishing Sig-Sauer rifles. The other two had their hands on holstered S&W .357s. Nasty, but not NATO 7.62 mm. Cop shoes, not combat boots. Non-standard weapons. Too clean. I knelt and hugged the three tiny teens, appearing to offer protection. “They’re fake. The guns aren’t.” I whispered. “We have to move fast. Follow my lead.”

The signora listened to the clues and began to fume.

The two pistol dudes flanked the rifles, scanning the room full of frozen diners. One rifle was pointed at Adelina; the other was aimed at me.

“Who is driving the resort bus? We have orders to confiscate the vehicle and arrest the driver and passengers.” The one in charge demanded, gesturing with his assault rifle. “You, American, answer me!”

“That would be me, sir.” I slowly reached into my jacket pocket and pulled my consular ID. I held it out as I approached. Lilly ‘cowered’ on one side, Sis and Kiddo were on the other.

“Your immunity means nothing to me, Mr. Science Advisor.” He gloated. “Your bitch of an ambassador will soon know she cannot hide behind a title either.” I could see his ‘name’ and rank: Lt. Palermo. I was standing between the riflemen.

“It really doesn’t matter now, does it, Sergeant Lupino?” I addressed him by the other man’s name. “Arrest me. Let the girls go. Someone call Vito, now.”

Vera Marino picked up the house phone instantly.

Pretend Palermo hesitated for a fraction of a second to correct the ‘mistake’. I was close enough to punch both in the chest. The rifle aimed at Adelina was the first concern. Before the impostor could catch his breath, I snatched the Sig-Sauer and punched a hole in his forehead with the barrel. Before he realized he was dead, I turned to the other guy, grabbed his gun barrel and laughed. “Fool! The safety.” He glanced at the switch in time to see my foot kick it out of the way. He must have heard his arm break just as I crushed his windpipe. He didn’t fall until I bent his knee the wrong way.

Three seconds, maybe four. Two down.

The other two were having an equally bad day. Lilly had clobbered the man on the right. Apparently, it was no boast when she said that she was faster if keeping the enemy alive didn’t matter. His nose was shattered; both arms had extra joints and half of the S&W protruded from his mouth. “If you hadn’t chambered a round, you might be able to breath easier through the barrel. You stupid assholes never think things through. Try your nose but you might drown in the blood. Serves you right.”

Laurie and Teri were still pounding away on their target. He was down with Laurie sitting on his chest, clawing at his eyes and punching as hard as she could everywhere else. Her voice kept time, “Do Not Threaten My Daddy. Do Not Point A Gun At My Friends. I Hope You Rot In Hell.”

I doubt if he could hear.

The swelling in his pants told me Teri had terminated his branch of the family tree and she was tap dancing on the hand not already mangled. Classic high-low attack.

“That’s more than enough minimum force, girls. The real Anti-Terrorist squad will appreciate it if you leave them alive to answer questions.” I laughed, “Now go wash up. Use lots of sanitizer.”

Lilly grumbled but yanked the pistol out of the guy’s throat. “Just as he was turning such a nice shade of blue.” She noticed the guy with the assault rifle stuck in his head. “That is real gun control, Cuz. Nice work.”

Twenty-three girls had flown from the banquet room and lined the walls, guns drawn and at DefCon 1. Charity, Jessi and Juli carried shucking knives and serving forks. Consular and NATO IDs were everywhere.

Gina went to Adelina and cut the wire ties binding her wrists.

Dona Vera was on the phone with Monica by now. “Monica, we had an attack at the diner. Everyone is OK, but be aware the troubles are not over. Have your people on alert for false soldiers. Cop shoes and new uniforms. Mismatched guns. Your veterans will know. You are advised to shoot first.”

Crosstalk. Then, “Dr. Charles spotted the impostors here and he and three tiny girls put them down hard. Lives were saved. I called Vito but he was already in motion.”

“No one who counts was injured except Adelina. They ambushed and dragged her here as a hostage. Emilia is going to be furious. Elena is fit to be tied.”

Gina stood guard as a waitperson and a customer were examining Capt. Delvecchio for injuries. A busboy spread towels under the bleeding terrorists to make clean-up cleaner when Vito, his arm in a sling, and Major Dominic Molinari, a real Italian intelligence officer, rushed in. Vito nodded at his daughters. They grinned and waved him off. He checked on Capt. Delvecchio. “What happened in Buona Vista, Addie?”

“I’m so sorry Don Vito. Two of them approached me and asked about a stolen tour bus. Two more jumped me from behind and conked me on the head. Next thing I know, I’m bound and being beaten up in the back seat of a Mercedes SUV.” Her voice got stronger. “They spotted the bus from the road, and shoved me in here. There must be a mole in your motor pool, sir. They knew about your bus.”

“You have nothing to be sorry for, Captain. You were outgunned and outnumbered. And yes, we had a spy. He is no longer an issue.” Vito continued. “We are here because your abduction was witnessed and reported. You have good friends.”

Molinari compared the faces on the floor to pictures on his phone. “Russian security detail. Yuri will want his worthless corpse to disappear. Omani prince, murder club. I’ll ask the family for disposal arrangements. Colombian delegation, murder club. He will tell us things before the hangman does his duty. Rogue Saudi house guard. He has shamed his last king. He will confess when his face heals.”

“Don Vito. I have informed Sir Edward of the threat to Ambassador Howe. He is conferring with the Consulate in Venice and Captain McCullough. The resort is on high alert.” Millie joined the group. “The more we know, the more there is to learn.”

“The IED diversion failed and we seem to be in a regroup-revenge phase.” Vito nodded. “There’s more. We captured two more wise guys in the getaway van outside. We may have apprehended the people who planned and executed the bomb in the road. Strange bedfellows in an SUV full of weapons and explosives. One was Somali and the other was Nigerian, traveling with a Russian, Colombian, Omani and Saudi. You can’t accuse us of profiling.”

Molinari piped up. “That is careless and unproductive. We target inconsistencies and behavior. I could see shoulder insignia on their uniforms putting them in my ‘B’ squad. Three of my best bomb disposal technicians are from Angola. I know who works for me. These were impostors.”

Clues? New puzzle pieces in the box means more pieces missing. Camouflage, new unrelated players and explosives? I need to do another mental inventory and get Phil Matthews involved.

A medical detail entered, dressed Adelina’s wounds and loaded the dead and injured on litters. That was the last we saw of the uninvited dinner crashers. Don Vito, Molinari and their associates departed shortly after, vowing to end this forever.

“Maybe it’s best if we leave, Dona Vera. I don’t wish to disrupt your establishment after you were so kind at the last minute.” I was apologizing to Signora Marino for being a trouble magnet. “Of course I will pay for the dinners. After you compensate the staff and cover the kitchen expenses, please let the other customers share the food already prepared and use the rest of the money to feed people more in need than us. I figure US$25.00 per place is $800.00 plus a couple hundred extra for tips and damages. Will a thousand be sufficient?”

“I will hear nothing of it! You and your band of Warrior Princesses will not leave here hungry. Major Molinari and his team were at the IED site and took cover on your warning. Little Vera owes you her life. Elena and Vito’s hotel was not overrun.” She pointed at the girls encircling the room. “And Monica tells me you take in strays.”

“All the more reason we should go. Once you feed a kitten, they never leave.”

“You fed them first.” Vera laughed, “Your problem, not mine. Now march yourselves to the table and sit. We have food to serve. You have appetites to satisfy. Move! Manga.”

Once we were seated, the restaurant lived up to the billing. The food, the amounts, the courtesy, everything was over the top. Platter after platter and bowl after bowl of the most amazing seafood graced the table. When something ran low, it was replenished, insuring an never-ending supply of the favorites.

Juliet sidled up during the feast. “You overestimated the cost, sir. Family-style is a flat charge of around fifteen of your dollars and that includes a generous gratuity. The bill will be no more than $500.00. When you call for the tab, insist on paying, even if Sra. Marino hesitates, but do not try to pay more.”

“Thanks for the advice. We always pay for value received. The diner does not take a loss. Everything else is a neighbor doing the right thing.”

I cautioned the group. “If someone thanks you, accept it gracefully. To shrug it off as ‘nothing special’ suggests that their loved ones are unimportant in your eyes. The men and women who came home last night and this morning because of us are special to their people. Don’t devalue their worth.”

We were in recovery mode after dinner when the stream of people began. One woman spoke of her husband’s injuries. “Bruises heal, but he will see his sons give us grandchildren. Thank you for doing what you do.”

“Thank you for the kind words, signora. Let the children know that he was injured protecting others. He’ll be a fine grandfather.”

We spoke to Little Vera’s brother, who worked in the kitchen, and to the children of people who worked at Rex Oceanus. Not all of the people spoke English. Carla helped with the translations when my Italian failed. Which was often.

It was a good evening. The Little Ninjas were a hit with the children who were in the diner during the takedown.

“Are you superheroes?” “You will be even better when you get big.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.