Seasonal Daughters - Cover

Seasonal Daughters

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 10

She looked at April. I said, "April, are you willing, as a condition of participating in this matter, to treat it in total confidentiality? You may not discuss this with anyone without my or Miz Watson's explicit permission."

She looked at me and said, "Yes, sir, Dad. I understand and will do it." She looked at Laura and said, "Mom, he's being a lawyer and that makes it serious. I understand what it means to treat something confidentially."

I said, "That's resolved. What kind of guy is the principal?"

Laura said, "I do not really like him. He looks at the nicer looking teachers with a look that makes us uncomfortable. A couple of other teachers and I have talked about it in the lounge. He's a bit of a creep."

I said, "Laura, the handbook you received with your contract is explicitly referenced in the contract. No later revision or edition controls your actions. The new handbook has references about student and teacher relations and does not permit relatives to work in the same school. It doesn't allow for waivers like your handbook does."

"I would be willing to wager that he plans to confront you with the provisions of the new handbook tomorrow morning. I think I will go to school in the morning. It should be interesting.

"I have a daughter with an interest in this matter. Though it's not technically relevant, my fiancée is under fire. Lastly and importantly, I will represent you as your attorney if you will permit me. I will introduce your principal to my favorite partner in legal work with bureaucracies."

"Paul, of course, I would want you to represent me. Who is this favorite partner?"

"It's not a who but a what. It's a portable recorder. I've used it in meetings with government people and had them totally focused upon it. People can find it disquieting."

Laura started laughing. "Now, I know where your daughters get their brains. You're very correct. Tomorrow will be interesting."

We spent a fun Monday evening after that enjoying supper and the evening. Though we left the bedroom door open, we had no visitors. In the morning, I left a message at the office that I had a meeting at April's school and would be a little late. Laura drove to school in her car followed by me with my daughters. April and I met her in the office. I advised the secretary that we were here to talk with the principal.

About ten minutes later, he came rushing in through the same door we had used. The secretary said, "Doctor Colbert, you have people to see you!"

He stopped and looked at us. I intentionally didn't have my briefcase with me, just a simple pad. He looked at us and said, "Miz Watson, I do need to speak with you. Who are you, sir?"

"I am April Sanderson's father and also happen to be Miz Watson's attorney. I believe we need to all speak with you regarding yesterday's incident and your meeting with Miz Watson." I had thumbed the recorder on when he walked in the room.

"I have no need to meet with this student. I do not meet with lawyers. Miz Watson is about to be suspended for violating policies contained in the school handbook. She touched your daughter inappropriately by hugging her in her classroom. I have a witness."

I pulled my recorder with its flashing red light from my coat pocket. "This conversation will continue to be recorded. I believe you planned to cite references to the handbook you delivered to Miz Watson yesterday afternoon after the event you allege occurred. Sir, you may proceed in whatever manner you believe you are entitled to proceed. I hereby advise you that any action taken against Miz Watson will injure her financially as well as harm her reputation and will be considered actionable by her with liability resting upon you personally and the school system. My daughter will also suffer from the unreasonable loss of her teacher in advanced placement English. That, too, is actionable. Now, you have made your intent clear. Go ahead and suspend Miz Watson so we may proceed."

"I, uh, we, uh, need to consider this further."

"Very well. At this time, is Miz Watson suspended?"

He looked at my recorder grudgingly. "At this time, she is not!" I could tell he wasn't happy but had figured out that suspending Laura was probably a mistake.

I handed my recorder to Laura and said, "In that case, Miz Watson, please proceed to teach your classes. If Doctor Colbert or any person from or representing the school system desires to talk to you, even informally, please refer them to me while you are recording them.

"I guess you and Miss Sanderson should now proceed to your classes." They left. I had cards that didn't mention my corporate title or the company on them. I handed one to Doctor Colbert and said, "I may be contacted by the school system's attorney. There is a hearing process in the handbook to be followed. If we do not hear something within forty-eight hours confirmed in writing, I will formally demand a hearing in accordance with the handbook. Do you understand?"

He nodded. I said, "Verbally, please. Speak clearly for my other recorder." Actually, I had another but it was turned off and in my briefcase. I didn't bother to mention that fact and he didn't ask. I left for work.

About two hours later, the school system's lawyer called me. I had met John Anderson before at a few events. He said, "Paul, this is John Anderson. Could we talk for a few minutes?"

"Sure, John. It's always a pleasure to talk to you."

"Thanks, Paul. I received a call this morning from Doctor Steven Colbert, principal of our middle school. I think you did not make him happy. He was quite vocal."

I chuckled. "John, have you called up the contract the system executed with Miz Watson?"

"Yes. I also reviewed the handbook."

"Which one?"

"Both of them."

"You are aware that only one counts?"

"Insofar as Miz Watson is concerned. Doctor Colbert used an old contract when she was hired. The new ones reference any new handbooks."

"By His own admission, even the new handbook was only given to her after the episode in question occurred."

"Paul, it was your daughter she hugged. I understand that she was in the office this morning with you and Miz Watson. You are also corporate counsel at Johnson. What is your relationship in this matter other than lawyer and client?"

"I am April's father. I guess you're referring to the fact that Laura Watson and I are engaged."

"Crap! Excuse me, Paul. I didn't mean that toward you or your fiancée. It just caught me by surprise. It wasn't a pleasant surprise either with you representing her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.