Seasonal Daughters - Cover

Seasonal Daughters

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 3

We went in and were seated at a table. A young waiter came by and poured water for us all. I said, "Laura, they have a very good house Zinfandel that would go quite well with the veal. I'm going to have a glass, would you join me?"

"Yes, thank you." The waiter departed with our drink order. Laura said, "I'm surprised you drink."

"I enjoy a glass of wine with a meal and an occasional mixed drink. In moderation, there is no harm in it that I've seen."

She nodded. "I was interested in the study in Sunday school. That lady was very knowledgeable about the Bible and book of Mark."

"Missus Marijane is my science teacher and is almost as good a Bible teacher as Daddy." May announced. "Daddy can answer all your questions."

Laura smiled at her, "You seem to have a high opinion of your father, May."

"Daddy knows everything." She said it in a matter of fact way that would brook no argument.

"Your girls care for you, Paul."

"I love them both. However, I don't know everything." I grinned.

"Somehow, I suspect you have taught Sunday school over the years."

"Well, yes. But I'm hardly an expert. I freely admit to having my own biases and favorites."

"I am presuming that Marijane was correct in her teaching today."

"Yes. Other Gospel books give more information about Jesus but Mark is a good one to give you the basics of faith. I like to show people the Roman ladder before Mark and then introduce a person to Philippians after Mark. That little Bible I gave you has the New Testament plus the Psalms and Proverbs in it. So, all three books are in it."

"What is the Roman ladder?"

April said, "It's a series of verses that give you the path to salvation from the New Testament book of Romans. I have it written in my Bible." I smiled. The waiter returned with our drinks and took our entrée selections, four orders of Veal Romano.

He quickly returned with the salad and bread. I asked April to pray and she did thanking God for the day, our church lessons, and our new friend, Miz Watson. We passed the salad starting with Laura and then to the girls. We each took bread with its garlic butter dripping. It was all good and even made a good lead-in for our entrees. We were eating our salads and bread and sipping our wine while we talked.

Not to my surprise, I found that Laura has a master's degree in English. Her parents were divorced and had fought bitterly using her as a pawn to the point that she had severed all ties to both of them many years ago. She had admitted that she had never been to a church before in her life. She said, "I had a very different picture of what happened in a church. You caught me at a moment of interest in the grocery store. April is one of my best students and, knowing of her loss, she is a joyful young lady. Then I met her father and he was a nice, intelligent man. Although you didn't take to my attitude, Paul, you were still polite. I found you old-fashioned but someone who would be a true friend. May is as hard to resist as her sister. I am glad I came and not just for the company though being with you got me beyond my initial concerns.

"April, Paul, I really would like to get that information on this Roman ladder. You three and your church make knowing more attractive."

May had been quiet. "Mommy and Daddy showed us God and how He loves us. I read about God in stories and in the Bible. I know God gave Mommy peace and she loved us through the end. She was smiling the last time I saw her. I know she is smiling down on us from heaven now. I love God."

I thought "from the mouths of babes" listening to May. It must have sounded good to Laura, too, for she was smiling. At that moment, our waiter brought our entrees. We were quiet for a while as we each took the edge off our hunger. This place was popular with the girls and we had always enjoyed our meals here.

Laura seemed to enjoy her food. I enjoyed having her with us today. I thought I would enjoy more of her company. We talked some more through our meal. Before we finished, Laura had agreed to come to Sunday school and church next week. We finished and I paid for all of us over Laura's objection.

Once in the car, I opened my Bible to the beginning of Romans. Laura opened her Bible and I found Romans for her. I transferred the verses to the first page of that book and handed it back to her after turning to the first page and writing, "To Laura from April, May, and Paul Sanderson." I handed it to her and said, "This is for you."

"Thank you, Paul. Thank you also, April and May. I appreciate your kindness." I pulled into the church lot beside her Prius. I got out and came around to open her door and hand her out. The girls had tumbled out. I had shaken Laura's hand and said again that we enjoyed her company. April shook her hand and said that she would see her in the morning. May hugged her waist. She said, "Miz Laura, I want to see you again. Please!"

"I will, May. I will be here next Sunday at least."

"Okay. I like you, Miz Laura."

"I like you, too, May."

She unlocked the door and opened it herself without giving me a chance though she did smile in my direction realizing that she beat me to it. I couldn't jump over my girls to get to the door. She backed out and waved as she moved forward and left the parking lot.

That was when I realized that I missed something. I didn't get her number!

I drove us home and we spent a quiet evening together. I mentioned to April that I failed to get Miz Watson's phone number. Monday, I went to work and the girls went to school.

That evening, April had started supper when I arrived at the house with May helping her. When I came in, April said, "Dad, Miz Watson said that she had hoped you would call her last night. I think she likes you." April grinned.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.